Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sat, June 11th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sat, June 11th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:02 am

Good morning,

I think our rain is taking a break today and we should hit 70* this afternoon but for now, everything is still drippy wet. My poor iris are all broken from the hard rains and the Rhodie blossoms are about gone more than a week too soon. :cry: Today I will go out and salvage what iris I can. I haven't checked my peonies yet. This is the first year they were finally blooming.

Today is my new son-in-law's birthday. We are blessed to have him in the family.

Yesterday was mammo, fabric sale, clean bathroom, organize back overflow pantry, and make one PP lotto block. Today is wash fabric, clean our master and trailer bathrooms, and make a second PP lotto block. When I finish this lotto block, I need to start my August blocks for the calendar swap but so far the pattern I ordered hasn't arrived. I'm starting to wonder if I've been bamboozled. Bill got his credit card # stolen and we had to cancel his card. We just got my new one activated after MY number was stolen a few weeks ago! Fortunately we signed up to have immediate alerts when our card is used - so immediate that it usually comes in on our phones while we are still at the check stand so they only put one charge on it and attempted to use it 3 more times in quick succession, but couldn't because Bill got the card cancelled that fast. I hate thieves. They would be the ones squawking longest and loudest if someone stole THEIR stuff!

TINA - I hope you haven't melted away! When it's hot like that, I wear a wet top. It really helps to cool me down. I have to keep wetting it, but it's my own personal AC. Especially with a fan nearby. Nice that your oven doesn't heat the house. Mine does.

CAROL - your walk in the Preserve sounds idyllic! Our dog park is like that - 20 acres of wooded trails for us to walk and the dogs to run. We all like it! And across the road is another 20 acres with several miles of wooded trails, only dogs on leash there. All 1 miles from our house. We call it the Jail Trail because it's next to the state women's prison. We have some prewound bobbins (Bottom Line by Superior) and most of the time they work great but occasionally not so good. They are getting old though, so perhaps that is the problem. I suggested Bill wind them onto his regular bobbins to see if they work better. Sometimes I forget to thaw our supper, too. When that happens, I fill our smaller kitchen sink with hot water, put the SEALED package in the water and cover it with a pan lid or dishcloth. It usually thaws within an hour. I have to replace water sometimes, depends on size of package.

Our ham dinner last night was good so we're having reruns tonite. Then I'm going to be making all kinds of dishes with leftover ham. You'll probably get tired of hearing about them!

So, what's your best leftover ham recipe??

Quilter7

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sat, June 11th

Post by Quilter7 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:34 am

Good Morning,

Maryz - I am thawing chicken today in the refrigerator with plastic bag in water, so tonight we really will have chicken. I was tired last night. I now am a big fan of pre-wound bobbins. These are Superior Super Bobs Poly M-Style Bobbins 60 weight. When I took a class the teacher told us to take the outside paper off the bobbin. She said when people were having trouble with the pre-wound bobbins that was usually the cause.

The California Heritage Museum yesterday was very nice. The building has been moved from the original sight and the house restored. The exhibit was by Alice Beasley. She was a quilter, then artist, then lawyer. Most of the quilts we saw were on social justice. I enjoyed the exhibit. Then we went to lunch. We walked about a half mile to the restaurant. It was started in the 70s by hippies and still has remnants of the heritage on their menu. I had "tie-dye pizza". It was marguerita pizza with mozzarella, pesto and cherry tomatoes on a very thin scorched crust. It was very good.

Today I will finish the quilt I started a couple of days ago. I need to make binding I think, but have the fabric. Already did a load of laundry and cleaned up a bit.

Dinner tonight will be chicken, potatoes, and broccoli.

Carol

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:58 am

Good afternoon from warm and semi sunny SW. Pa....We've had a miss match of weather this past week but then, this is Pennsylvania...Hopefully, we won't see any snow.....

Mary, Hate to hear the rain has messed up your bushes and flowers...So far, mine have survived, thank goodness..But, I'll tell you, I'm getting tired of running in and out, taking all the hanging baskets down and putting them on the porch, lol.....You reminded me, I need to make an appointment for my mammo....It seems, I've been seeing a lot of doctors lately, time to take a break...But, I did have a good one yesterday, my final post cat. check up..I just love this doctor, he looks like he's just out of middle school and is the sweetest and of course cutest thing ever...He gets excited when he looks at the "finished product", kept saying, it's so nice and clear, lol....I will need glasses for my close work but can get along with cheaters until I'm due to get new glasses in November....When he found out I used to work in the field, he asked if I wanted a job and tried to get me an application...(a few years younger, I'd be interested, I loved working with eyes)...Now, I don't have time, lol....My sister goes in a week or so and I get to take her...
I can imagine how upset you and Bill are about the credit card...That happened to me a few months ago and I caught it just by chance...Decided to check my card, late on a Sunday night and there it was, 3 different charges, only amounted to under $200.00 but it just made me sick...Going through the hassle is a pain and then knowing the "pervert" will only move on to someone else is even worse.....
Well, finally heard from Kathy and they are now in Paris...They were delayed in Toronto for a day and worried they might not get to France in time for their Viking cruise...They have a very busy month and will fly back here on the 4th and then on to Reno on the 7th...Hopefully, I'll get to see them when they get to the states.....
And today is Terry and Theresa's moving day...He's been living in Tenn. for a couple of weeks but today is the big truck day, which is sad...But, this has been their dream and that's what counts...One of these days, I'll be heading south......

How about those eagles?????Oh boy, I hate to see them go but before we know it, they'll be getting the nest ready for the new babies.......

Your ham dinner from last night is one of my favorites...One of our dinners was always, when using up the last of the ham, was cooking it with cabbage and potatoes...But, there was always lots of sandwiches in between....Which reminds me, I have nothing in mind for my supper, other than maybe a burger on the grille....I have some fresh asparagus but my sister wanted to stop over when I made it and she's going to a dinner tonight, so can't make that.....I'm sure I'll think of something, possibly a salad.....

Keeping all those in need in my special prayers....

You all have a great rest of the day....

Happy eating.....................

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:55 am

Good afternoon!

Well, my quiet day disappeared. I thought Sarah was going to make my strawberry jam in her kitchen - wrong, she did it here. We made two batches, so I have 20 new jars of jam. A good thing, Daniel loves my homemade strawberry jam. And he'll be here shortly.

I tangled with my counter top again, with the same baby finger knuckle that I did a few weeks back and boy does it hurt! Twice today I banged it. Now swollen and bruised. At least it's my right hand.

So I am heading downstairs to play. Sarah was good and didn't destroy my kitchen making a jam mess.

Dinner - sweet pork enchiladas with red sauce. Salad too. I saved enough sweet pork for tonight from what I cooked yesterday. Sweet pork is simply shredded pork roast, cooked in a bit of brown sugar, taco sauce, chili powder and root beer. Some people use coke, but we prefer root beer. Simmered together for about 30 minutes and served warm over our Cafe Rio salads, they are like big taco salads, loaded with al kinds of goodies.

I use pre-wound bobbins for my embroidery work on my sewing machine. They are a finer thread and fills in nicely with all the amount of stitches a embroidery entails. For my LA, I just wind several bobbins of my same top thread. That's what I was shown at the Handi Quilter Factory in the classes I took. We were taught to use the same on top as back, to not get polka dots.

Hugs,
Jana

Return to “Chit Chat”