Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Oct 20

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Oct 20

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:52 am

Good early morning,

I woke up at 2:30 and that's all she wrote. So here I am! Serving up supper!

Yesterday I finished piecing my quilt backing then straightened my back pantry, got started cleaning my sewing room, organized a couple projects I want to take in the trailer, washed bathroom rugs, mopped floors. Then Bill and I went for our Covid tests, came home, and started sorting out the cavernous storage under our trailer bed. We stowed things we are taking along (like our little Christmas tree, presents for A & A, bottled water, etc. Now I can see just how much room I have for sewing stuff and plan that accordingly. For a 30' trailer, we do have a ton of storage room. The only mess I have in my sewing room now is the stacks of fabrics for my LOTR blocks. Judi worked up a written tutorial on cathedral windows and I'm kind of itching to give them a try, too, but just don't want to get another project spread around just yet. But they would make a great truck project for our trip, don't you think? I tried them a few years ago and wasn't too happy with my results, so maybe I'll do better this time around with Judi's instructions.

JANA - so happy to hear Michael is improving, if slowly. Does the hospital not allow visitors? Is Kate still sick with Covid? We went to our doctor for our tests. It will take 2 or 3 days for results. I have no faith in the rapid tests. We worry Vicki will get sick and no one will know. Sounds like your kids are doing it up brown in CA! Such fun! You are almost done with your stockings! My mom also made the best custard and she always baked it in her big yellow bowl. Remember those bowls? Yellow, green, red, and blue. I have a set now, too, found in a thrift shop. My sister has my mom's. But neither of us can bake custard like Mom's

TINA - I don't know anyone who likes those low-flow toilets. I didn't realize you can swap out the guts. I'm so glad Frankie is getting some kind of reward for helping Dirk! I've forgotten the relationsip though. Dirk is Frankie's cousin? This is their Grandpa's house? Am I confused? Did you get your Christmas queen quilt back yet and drop off the king?

BECCA- I so hope your dr has some answers for you. I wonder if they can do a nerve block of some kind? Pills and patches don't seem to give you much relief. :(

CAROL - even with only Lesson 1 under your belt you are a lot further ahead than I am! lol! Is this a self-taught course or are you going to an actual class or a Zoom class?

VELDA - all I can say is WOW! Your pictures are awesome! Your group is really doing the Lord's work! Congratulations! What a great feeling you must have to be part of such an effort! I love that you spread it out so beautifully and bless everything. Will the congregation be able to see them?

I think tonite's supper is going to be baked chicken and baked sweet potatoes. We are out of fresh veggies so it will be canned or frozen peas, green beans, or corn. We can't go to the store until we know we aren't sick so we will "make do".

Have you got any great ideas for tonite's feast?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Oct 20

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:12 pm

Hi everyone!
Mary, wow you get soooooo much done! I'll have to go check out Judi's tutorial!
Dirk is Frankie's brother in law, he's married to 1 of Frankie's sisters, they live in Arizona but they have 2 acres just west of us where they have a little trailer set up and come and stay for days to weeks at a time. It was Dirk's dad that passed and it's his house Frankie has been helping clean out.
Yeppers I got my queen quilt back but not the king yet, she was gone until yesterday so maybe sometime in November I'll get the king back.
Well this is kinda short, we're at Holly's doing more little things plus Frankie just took her garbage to the transfer station. I didn't want to go to town so I'm just letting Stitch run around so he doesn't have to be put in his kennel. He's like my little shadow.
I'm not sure about supper tonight.
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:58 pm

Good afternoon!

My eyes need a break from finishing the mini stocking I have been working on. I tried to get a picture, but it keeps being too dark to see them well. I am using my phone, so will try again later.

Talked to Michael this morning. He is still making slow baby steps in his recovery. The Dr is pleased so far, but this dang virus has a mind of it's own and can throw a monkey wrench in at any time, so they are being extremely cautious right now. He is getting to eat regular food now, the aspiration problem seems to be gone. Michael is being very careful of how he eats, just to be sure.

Kate is doing better every day in her recovery. Aaron is taking good care of her. The little girls are still fine.

Sarah and Joseph and Ethan are the only ones at Disneyland today. Matt and family are off somewhere else, I don't know where. Ethan built his droid this morning and it is currently in the Droid Daycare Center. In a short time, he will pick it up and put it in the locker that Sarah rented for the day to keep all their stuff in, while they are on the rides. Sarah says there are not a lot of people in the park today, so the ride wait times are short. She is making a stop at the Disney Christmas store to bring home a ornament for my tree. We always get more ornaments when we are traveling and come across a Christmas store. You never can have too many ornaments, says the woman with more than 700 for her trees! LOL!

Dinner - the refrigerator is getting quite bare, so will go over to the store and pick up a couple of things. Not many as it is hard to get the groceries in the house - from the car and up the stairs into my laundry room. Handrail, cane, bags and not enough hands! LOL! A nice small steak may ump in my basket for my dinner tonight. I will add a twice baked cheesy potato with it.

Last night, the Young Women in the Ward stopped by with a decorated pumpkin they made us for the front porch. They painted it and did a cute design for the face. Only thing I wonder about, was they painted it black. I am old fashioned and pumpkins are orange. Oh well, it is good to be loved! Most of these girls were my Activity Day girls, that now have grown up.

Mary - good that you have lots of storage in the RV. Matt does too, but with the seven of them, space becomes a premium! Sarah is the queen at finding spots for everything in her small trailer - I do mean small.

Tina - Frankie just keeps on polishing that halo of his - he is such a good guy! And he scored on all the tools.

Time I should get going. I really don't like being out in the dark.

Hugs,
Jana

Oh - a lesson I learned in a LA feather class from Linda Taylor, a famous LA'er, was what your hand learns to draw, you can draw on your LA. She taught us to practice drawing the spine of the feather and then the feather loops on paper with a pencil. Over and Over again! This makes the memory that the hands learn, transfer to the LA movement. So practice, practice, practice!

Still dark - but not as bad - Image

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:40 pm

I am late again. I was here too early, then come back...too late 😜
Yes, Mary, that's why the quilts are draped over pews. During church this Sunday, congregation prays for all the donations.
Oh, boy, those stockings are awesome!! Thanks for sharing picture.
Supper tonight will be chicken noodle soup. Need to go get started putting it together.
I will come back and read more after I get it to simmer.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:34 pm

Hello everyone late today Just got n computer It’s been a busy Busy day Went to Town Got groceries DG then bakery
Then library
Home to unload Made lunch Then run to meet my BFF at the Park to walk & visit What a great time We hadn’t seen each other for Sooooo long It was fun
I made Spaghetti n meatballs
Becca
Maryz I think after talking to Tina DDIL & others I may try acupuncture I sure haven’t got any relief so far
Jana Your stockings are so cute I love them Glad Michael is making baby steps
Tina Glad DH got some rewards
Velda What a beautiful display of your work & what a wonderful mission project
May you all be blessed for your work & I know the recipients will be

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 pm

Maryz - Nice job getting the Alaska Quilt finished. Yes, it is an online class, not Zoom though. Jana is correct just drawing feathers is said to create muscle memory in sewing feathers. I have watched Linda Taylor and have taken class from Lisa Calle another well known teacher. The class I am taking is from Debbie Brown. She has taught for Handi Quilter for years. I took classes (not her feather class) from her two years ago and really liked her. She has the feather class I am taking online.

Tina - Well at least you got one quilt done. Now while you are waiting for the king you can get binding finished.

Jana - Cute stockings!

Becca - Spaghetti sounds very good. I think that will be on the menu here tomorrow.

Vel - The church blessings sounds very lovely. The quilts and other items look very nice in the church.

Guild meeting went very well. We really made great strides in the hybrid meeting. Everyone on Zoom was very happy. Members stayed until the end of the meeting both in-person and on Zoom better than they used to. I am not sure why.

Today was the first half of the Zoom workshop then I had an afternoon sew-in. For once I got quite a bit of sewing accomplished.

Dinner tonight was Grilled Chicken. I have a blood draw for next week's physical tomorrow so I ate dessert tonight - ice cream.

Carol

Return to “Chit Chat”