Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Oct 17

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Oct 17

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:34 am

Good morning,

Yesterday was such a nice day here. We grilled burgers and spent the last evening this year on our deck. Temps are starting to dive. We'll put our cushions in storage for the winter today, I think. I got a lot accomplished yesterday. Finished cleaning/purging/reorganizing the closet and storage cabinets in the quilting room. then packed up things that go into the trailer. After that I got all the applique done on my AK blocks. Today I will add attic window frames and start sewing the together. We are still waiting for our Superior thread order to arrive so we can start quilting the DWR that is on the LA.

BECCA - you are right about resting my wrist. I was stitching about 3-4 hours every evening but now it's maybe 90 min, 3x/week. I am so close to finishing my big project, it's hard not to pour on the coal and 'git 'er dun', but I am being good. and it's paying off. I'm glad your Tina is coming back. I bet she has missed you.

JANA - you know I check in here about 3x/day looking for updates on your sweetie. Glad he's holding his own. I do the same with cookies sometimes - freeze dough balls on a tray, bag them, and then bake just a tray at a time. I do the same with burger patties and mini meatloaves. So, with all the hubbub going on at your house, did you ever get to start your new Christmas quilt? I was pulling a few quilts to take in the trailer and found mine and thought of you. I've been researching a variety of different frames, some free-standing, some "sit-upons". I was wondering how well the sit on ones work. I have two more large projects waiting in the wings . . .

VELDA - I like to take a break between projects, too, though that doesn't always happen. I bake my meatloaves on a grill pan. I spray it good and line the bottom pan with foil. The grease drips away. I would think keeping cookie dough in the fridge for more than a couple days would dry it out, wouldn't it?

TINA - I think you can freeze most any cookie dough. Though you can also freeze finished cookies. JANA had a good tip on decorating store-bought cookies. There are all kinds of ways to make holiday baking simpler and easier. Used to be it just wasn't Christmas for me if I didn't bake at least 12 different kinds of cookies and candies. Double batch of each! They were our neighbor/friend gifts. Then one year I made sausages instead and people loved having something non-sweet. Saved me hours and hours and dollars and dollars. Another year I gave out homemade wassail in decorated quart jars. One time was a hot drink mix. And several years I made a Christmas braid coffee cake, glazed and decorated with red and green maraschino cherries cut to look like poinsettias. Nowadays, I simply don't bake. No one in our aging, ailing crowd wants temptation around. But I miss the smell of holiday baking.

CAROL - well? Did you get to eat out last night? Or did you stay in and make your fast hash?

I think I will make chili mac for supper tonite. And a big salad.

What's the plan at your house?

QuiltGram8

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Oct 17

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:00 am

Hi, again Maryz. Guess we are both up early today
My meatloaf turned out great. I got the idea to make up meatloaf mixture, cover and refrigerate it for about an hour or two before forming into mini loaves to bake. ( I baked up the cookie dough I made the day before and just froze some). As I mentioned, my turkey meatloaf has always been too soft. I decided to try something and it worked so well. I sprinkled instant mashed potato flakes, maybe about a third of a cup across my mixture and worked it in completely. That really helped to absorb that moisture. I still made my meatloaf with my crushed saltines, but didn't want to add extra crackers, this did the trick without loosing the flavor we like.
I made up plates of leftovers for our dinner tonight, so I can heat in microwave. I had three mini loaves to freeze for another meal later.
Still need to get that coffee ☕ before it gets cold. 🤗
Have a nice Sunday.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Becca

Post by Becca » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:59 am

Hello everyone Have a few minutes before Church starts
Maryz I bought a frame years ago It does work good Saves on aches My bedroom window faces South where I put my plants & had my poinsettias They never failed to bloom
Velda That’s a great idea to add potatoe flakes I add bread crumbs
I too freeze the mini loaves
I freeze the cookie dough & freeze baked cookies Have for years They both work great
We are having butter beans and creamed potatoes. Becca

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:23 am

Becca, poinsettias do very well here. They are native to Mexico, and we're not too far from there.

Mary, I'm not a burger fan, but grilled is the way to go if I'm going to have one. I grill a lot here. We have a covered patio and it never gets too cold to grill. I did some zucchini on the grill last night. Wrapped it in foil with evoo, salt, and herb. It was delicious.

I've never freeze cookie dough or cookies. I just bake them all and give them to my family or the neighbors.

Tonight dinner will be pizza from the local Italian place.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am

I forgot to mention I have my 6 week post op tomorrow at UCI medical center. Former president Clinton has been there all week and is being released today. Thank goodness they took care of that before my visit. It causes delays when there is a dignitary in the facility.
Lori 8-)

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:35 pm

Quick Michael update - his O2 is holding at 95, good. His voice is sounding stronger as I talk to him. Not much coughing and he is eating. He had beef stew for lunch. Pieces cut up small and lots of gravy, which he loves. Thicker liquids keeps him from aspirating into his lungs.

Thanks for worrying with me,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:23 pm

That is wonderful news Jana.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Chit Chat”