Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Monday Oct 11

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Monday Oct 11

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:25 am

Good morning,

We were supposed to be stormy yesterday with rain and 40mph winds but we ended up with a pretty day instead. Chilly, but pretty. I worked on Alaska quilt and other odds and ends. I take breaks from sewing and have begun clearing out some of my craft cabinet, back pantry, gazillion gift bags (left here by my DD who moved 2 yrs ago), and then I packed up Christmas gifts/items to take to Texas. Lots of stuff is going somewhere other than my house!

We finished the Halloween quilts, called the boys, and they were mid-flight on their way to Virginia to visit their parents for a week! Arghh! So we will try to connect with them next Sunday when they return. I got two more blocks finished on Alaska. 7 of the 12 are done now. Trying to get all the PP blocks done so I can take my good machine, which makes PP much easier because it has a thread cutter) in for a much needed service. I will finish the rest of the blocks which are just normal piecing on Back-Up Bernie. Service is taking 3 weeks now.

TINA - I knew Preston would love his gifts! So easy to please them when they are 6 yrs old! What is Black Panther these days? A new super hero? The only black panthers I know of, besides the actual big cats, was a black militant activist group in the 60's which doesn't seem like 6 yr old fare. Sorry/glad you didn't have to paint yesterday. I don't know which to root for for you. It's one of those big jobs you don't wan to do but want to have done.

BECCA - We have good friends that used to live in Boone. In fact, they are descendants of Daniel Boone's brother, Isreal. Your walk sounds nice. When walking from home, we have to walk the county road for a bit to get to various developments. But when Bill and I walk, we often go to the big dog park so Scottie can be off-leash - 15 acres of thick woods with trails all over. The perimeter trail is about 1 mile. We walk it and then criss cross on other trails so we get in about a 2 miles. We also have a 5-mile paved biking, walking trail through town we sometimes use, though we have to drive to either of those two places. So, lots of walking opportunities here. I do a different walk each day.

JANA - we saw your mountain snow on the news! 80-some people had to be rescued that were on a 50-mile race? Brrr!! Hope no one, especially the rescuers, were injured. Our pediatrician used to tell us when the kids were sick and didnt want to eat to cook rice and double the water, strain it, give the patient the rice water and use the rice for the rest of the family. He also said to make Jello using extra water and give it to them to drink. Even plain water, a teaspoon every 15 minutes, will stave off dehydration. Plus now, they have all kinds of supplemental drinks. Sure hope he's better soon!

CAROL - I have a Rowenta. It will be the last one I ever own. My first one lasted 3 years. My second only 6 months. I only bought this one 4 months ago because my iron died and this was the only one I could find in an emergency. It leaks constantly. I am very frustrated. I just bought a new little proctor silex for the trailer and it's really nice. I think Rowenta used to be a good brand, but I keep getting duds. I hope yours is a good one! And Island Restaurant sounds intriguing. What did you have there?

VELDA - glad things are better at your house. Hope your hubby improves quickly. Maybe it's just me, but I'd consider having Covid and being quarantined an emergency and would love it if someone would shop for us as long as they didn't bring us F--h! lol!. I've watched store employees shopping for curbside customers. I see young men carefully selecting produce and I saw a woman just tossing whatever into the bag. I would have thought it would be the other way around! I guess the success of that kind of service depends on who does the shopping for you!

Our supper tonite is going to be pork roast. I have russet and sweet potatoes. It's up to Mr. Bill to decide which he wants and how he wants them fixed. I also have cauliflower so I think I'll cook some of that.

How's supper looking at your house?

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Monday Oct 11

Post by Becca » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:24 am

Hello everyone sunny here & a nice day I enjoyed my walk this morning One reason I am careful where I go is because of getting dog bite I won’t go by houses I am not familiar with & their animals
Got cleaning & sterilization done I am trying to keep germs at bay
Maryz Hope you get all your machines in working order by time you leave for TX
Sorry you missed your Grandson’s
Velda I too would rather buy my own groceries I found some different food items when I came Home I also had Cleaning 🧹 lady buy them 1 time Only if I have to will I
Tina I will be happy for you when all your painting & repair work is completed I know you will
Jana Glad to hear Michael is Home & stable It takes time for our bodies to heal as we get older Something we don’t want to think about
I am going to wash the car It is in need
I may find it’s too much for me Will see With all the rainy weather it needs it
It’s chicken tender here with cole slaw & potatoes. Becca

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:32 am

Hi everyone. I had coffee and breakfast, then DH and I drove about 25 miles to Joanne's. Found almost all that I was looking for. Mostly flannel to finish up baby project. Will zig-zag edges and wash all of it this afternoon.
Fixing breaded pork chops tonight with mashed potatoes and broccoli for me. DH won't eat broccoli, but I crave it now and then.
Nothing else going on today.
I plan to try a block or two for Lotto later in the week. But for today, just get fabric ready.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:47 am

Good morning!
Mary, I'll be glad when this job is done, I'm not really a manual labor person 🤣😂 vacuuming and mopping is manual enough for me. Black Panther is one of the Marvel movies. The actor died last year so I don't think they'll be making anymore. He was young and battled colon cancer I believe it was. He was a very good actor.
Becca, washing the car is a huge job! Be careful.
Velda, you'll be finished with those quilts in no time, what's next on your list?
I have Jazmyne, Easton and Preston here today. I was planning on vacuuming, dusting and cleaning bathrooms but they may happen later after they go home or tomorrow. Matthew wil be here Thursday and staying his first night here by himself and then Jazmyne, Easton and Preston will be back Friday.
I'm going to make pork chops for supper, not sure what else with them.
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:30 pm

Good afternoon!

The home nurse just was here. Checked on Michael. O2 is up very nicely. PT will be coming in a couple more days, once we are past a 14 day mark. 21, 10, 14, who knows what number will be pulled out of the hat next!

Black Panther rattled my cage too - when the movie first came out. I went so far to voice my objections to Matt when he was going to take our boys. Then he explained it to me. You see, I grew up in the Bay Area, where the radical group was headquartered and had a US History teacher in high school who was a card carrying member. I definitely learned what that group stood for. Also had a communist , who made his views well known, for my American Government teacher. My English teacher was the president of the local NAACP chapter. My education was well rounded!

Dinner- simple - a scoop of mashed potatoes with gravy. That's about all I can get my patient to eat. That and V8 juice and cookies. He doesn't need to lose anymore weight. He is down below when he was in the Navy.

Hugs,
Jana

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:57 pm

Maryz - Congratulations on getting your Halloween quilts completed. Islands serves Hamburgers, salads, chicken and beef prepared with sauces from the Islands of the South Pacific. I had a turkey burger. My husband had fish tacos. (We both watch the number of calories listed on the dish and that was the lowest!)

Becca - Because of the water shortage in California we are requested not to wash our cars, but instead take them to the carwash. I do take mine to a drive thru carwash. It is not as good of a job as I do, but the car is cleaner and I just touch up.

Velda - Those diapers are a bit of work! You are very good to be making them.

Tina - Thanks for the explanation about the repair work. Hope you are able to get the work done quickly.

Jana - I have the same memories of the Black Panther movement. I sure didn't have teachers like yours though! Orange County was much too conservative when I went to school. When I was in college I did have a Sociology teacher who had just graduated from Berkley. He was the most radical professor I had, however he didn't require you come to class. I did not like his views and stopped going. I didn't learn anything from that class!!

Last night my husband was flying (Cessna 172) and heard a noise and smelled smoke, so he came back to the airport and landed just fine. He looked around and couldn't find any oil leak or anything and then he noticed the cowling (like the front hood) of the plane had separated and had damaged the propeller. He called his mechanic who took a look today and they showed him when he stopped off to drop off the key. Turns out somewhere in the last 50 or so years someone did a very poor repair job. They put rivets into a metal loop instead of through two pieces of metal to attach together. (I hope that makes sense!) I am just glad he is okay!! His mechanic has another plane that he thinks he can swap cowlings.

Tonight's dinner was Stuffed Pepper Casserole.

Return to “Chit Chat”