Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Sept 23

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Sept 23

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:13 am

Good morning!

We are cool and rainy here and it looks like it's here to stay. Prognosticators are prognosticating a colder and wetter fall and winter for us. Though this has been their prognostications before and it hasn't happened . . .

Yesterday I worked on my Fellowship Silouette for LOTR. Argghhh!! Somebody check and see if I have any hair left! It calls for just two fabrics - black for the silouettes and a sunset sky print. But it's so hard to read the pattern to see which fabric to use where. I tried enlarging the pattern I'm following for fabric placement but that only made it even fuzzier. So first order of business this morning is to do some major unsewing. I have nothing else planned for today so Hopefully I can 'git 'er dun'. I'm almost halfway finished with this block.

TINA - you have a lot more beds in your house than we do! We have one. I already have 2 king quilts for it, so if I want to decorate the bedroom for Christmas (which I've never done), I can just use one of my smaller Christmas quilts folded at the foot. Or make a bedrunner. I've run out out of space to store quilts! and everyone in my family has a Christmas throw quilt. But I can't resist Christmas sewing! I know all your family is going to love their Christmas quilts!

JANA - I guess if someone fusses about your red barn, you can always just paint the side that faces the fussers but secretly keep the rest red! I won't tell anyone! So what is your fabric like for the Christmas Ribbons?

BECCA - I am sorry you are suffering from TGN pain. I know it can be awful! My mom suffered with it quite a bit. Your talk of cleaning closets has hit home here again. I went into my all crafts but sewing cabinet the other day for something and realized I have several shelves of supplies I will never use. After I finish this LOTR quilt and get through the holidays, it's time to purge and donate! (anyone need any scrapbooking supplies?? Bob Ross painting kit, anyone? Perhaps a book on painting animals on rocks?)

VELDA - you have been busy in your brand new sewing room! How many diapers are you planning to sew? Are you making them "prefolded" style or "flat"? I liked folding diapers way back when. (that baby will be 50 in Feb, so you know it was WAY back when!). But by the time the others came along there was no time to sit and fancy fold and it was a blessing to have the prefolded. I just slapped those puppies in half and stashed them into the diaper stacker. -oh, are you making a diaper stacker to go with??

MARY ROSE - so happy you joined us for your birthday! Texas Roadhouse had to be delicious! A free-standing magnifier is a great purchase. You reminded me that I have one in my afore-mentioned craft cabinet. It hangs around my neck and is about 5" round. But I can use it on this LOTR pattern that's giving me such fits. Thanks for reminding me! You rock! You deserve another "Happy Day After Your Birthday!" wish!

Bill liked the tacos last night. We had drop in company in late afternoon and we invited them to stay for tacos as there is always more than we can eat in one meal, but they declined, citing their own leftovers needing to be cleaned out. So we'll be enjoying them again tonite. No cooking! Hooray!

What, in your kitchen, is going to make you cheer "Hooray!" tonite?

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Sept 23

Post by Becca » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:57 am

Hello everyone sunny here after days of rain I love sunshine
Maryz I used to paint on rocks years ago I did lots of birds flowers & nature
Really enjoyed it My cleaning lady won’t be back until I tell her to come probably thru Oct I am very Leary because of CA
She is still sick too
Your block must be a tail spinner if it’s worse than the other one
Tina you are very ambitious with all your quilts for your kids I used to love to go to IHOP There isn’t one close here
Rosebud Glad you had a great Birthday
Anytime you don’t have to cook is good especially after a days work
I got my cleaning almost finished Taking a break
My craft closet is next to be purged I have much I know that can be donated
CA wants bacon I’m making me a burger I will add broccoli & cauliflower steamed
We have cookies and bread from Beths Bakery
Becca
Have a great day everyone

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:53 am

Maryz - I was wondering if it would help if you colored the pattern using colored pencils or crayons?

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:57 am

Good late morning from a dreary, chilly, SW. Pa....We had a terrible storm yesterday and then rain most of the night and today is not a nice day to be outside, just not my kind of weather......

Mary. You really are working on some super quilts, so anxious to see the finished treasure.......I guess I'm like all the rest with needing to purge....I've only been here a year and already, have way too much but with the help of a neighbor who does all kinds of crafts, I will get some of it cleared out....In helping clear out the "hoarder" house, I've decided, no way do I want to put my kids through this, better to get rid of it now than for someone to come in with a dumpster......Also, in looking at what my sister is and will be going through is unbelievable...She has 80 + years of stuff to clear out...She was born in that house, never moved and has her stuff, some of my Mom's and stuff from 2 other aunts...And to think, that's where Jim and I started....Kathy will often say, "Aren't you glad you moved off the hill?"....

Becca, so sorry to hear you're hurting...Sure makes for a miserable or long day but take it slow, rest when you can, eventually, things will get done....It's funny as I've gotten older, of course it's hard to realize there are things you can't do, but then you also realize, maybe those things weren't that important and just move on......And now, I'm seriously thinking of having a cleaning lady come in, maybe only once a month, something I never thought I'd do....Hope you have a good day......

Tina, I can only imagine how you must decorate with all your quilts...Gals like you are quite an inspiration.......

Not sure what all is happening today but know, it will be something inside.....I still haven't gotten a roof over my front deck and yesterday, did call another fellow who promises to come and check it out...AND then, the guy who came and took all the measurements was at my sister's and said, he'd be over today or tomorrow with some prices...Maybe one of these days, I just might get a roof......
Did have a text from Kathy last night saying if I was going to be home long enough for a chat, silly gal! she is so excited about our upcoming trip, said she's planning a special Thanksgiving treat for us.....Just hoping with Covid, the trip doesn't get cancelled..But my sister finally got her shot so she's good to go... A neighbor texted and needs a pair of pants hemmed for church on Sat. so hopefully, I can talk her into coming over here......

I'm thinking of putting a meat loaf in the oven maybe with a baked potato..Warm up the house along with smelling super...With that and maybe a veggie, don't need any afters......

You all have a great rest of the day....

Happy eating......

Just have to tell you something special....Yesterday, had a text from DDIL, Theresa, saying she hadn't had any "signs" from her Mom and Dad who are passed and wondered if I'd heard from Dad...Then she went on to tell me, she opened her messages at work and a co-worker had ended her message by saying, "Have a great rest of the day"...She said, this co worker never said this before and she took it to mean, it was an omen or sign for me from Cindy, who always ended our chats with that...And then Theresa ended her message by saying the same thing....I feel very blessed to have so many watching out for me........

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:09 am

Good afternoon!

It's fun to earn your awesome badge from your daughter! Sarah is experimenting with a recipe for pumpkin cinnamon rolls, using things that she can eat. The rolls have a caramel type filling and she can't use normal dairy, but I came up with a substitute that she can use - Karo syrup - the dark one. Voile, i earn my awesome badge! Sarah had a bottle in the house and she tasted to see if it was molasses tasting, not, so she is trying it now. Cooking has taken on a whole new phase with her.

Down here in the Batt Cave - starting to finish up odds and ends of things, and getting my lesson materials together for Sunday. Right now I am missing a very important book, I know it is here somewhere in the Batt Cave, in a drawer, so I will keep searching.

Class is tonight, so we may just grab something out, or a bowl of cereal when we get home. It is too early for Michael to eat before class, so we wait until after. He is very careful on the timing of all the medications he takes, so not to cause problems. That's what engineers do!

So not much else here, Tanner was out last night and fixed - replaced all the glass panels in the front room bookcase. Didn't take him long, under careful supervision of his Dad and Grandpa. Hopefully, he will remember this lesson.

Hugs,
Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:03 pm

I am starting this with pictures. Keep in mind this was just a sample. Will buy actual water resistant fabric instead of my invented fabric substitute.

This is picture of inside with white flannel lining. Soaker pad is flannel and Terry.
I would make lots of soaker pads and maybe a dozen of diaper covers. Other people will be giving her gifts and no doubt will get many purchased from retail stores.

As for supper?? We have leftovers tonight.
I still have to read everyone's posts.
I am way behind today. Running around here crazy trying to catch up. LOL
HUGS, 💕 Vel

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Good afternoon! Just a quick run through before the posse is out looking for me, Since Monday, I've been having good days and staying busy in sewing room. Today I'm in the kitchen. DH picked all the pears, and I started peeling and chopping to cook up and freeze for pear pies. Busy, busy, busy!

Monday afternoon, the nurse called me with my blood test results, and I told her how I'd been hoping I'd get better instead of worse with the vertigo. She talked to the doctor, and first thing Tuesday morning she called to say he wanted to see me tomorrow. I am so impressed with this doctor! He and his nurse REALLY care about getting me better!

Velda-- those are SOME diapers!!! So much different from 54 years ago!!! I still admire anyone who wants to wash their diapers and not put disposables that will never degrade in a landfill! My best wishes and applause to her!!!

So sorry this is all but I MUST get busy! Dinner tonight... whatever I can find to put on the table. "Must goes" no doubt! Bon appetit!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:11 pm

Vel -

that will be a amazing present. But, i will put my 2 cents worth in here - I remember when I was a brand new mom, and decided tthat I would use cloth diapers. Pampers were not on the market very long before Sarah was born. That cloth diaper routine lasted about 2 weeks! I decided that it was not for me and switched over to Pampers. I used liners, etc and just decided, no way. So with that 2 cents in here, I will bet that all that work in making a bunch of them will be for naught, as the new mom might decide the same thing. So I would make a few, but not be surprised if they are not used. We have many new babies here in my Ward at Church, and I have yet to see any of these moms use that kind of diaper. New babies are born in my ward at about the rate of two or three new ones each month - that is many little ones!

Just my 2 cents
Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Jana, I totally agree with your "2 cents".
Main reason: I felt like when I volunteered to do this, I was thinking old fashioned folded flannel. Those can be recycled, if new mom has a change of heart. Yes, I do wonder how long she will stick to her plan.
I don't want to put a lot of $'s into the whole thing for that very reason.
I won't be around her to know if she uses them or not. A gift is a gift! I will sew my contribution and mail them off before the baby shower in December. Will make receiving blankets a a couple of bibs and burp cloths, too
Hope I can find less expensive water resistant fabric.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:59 pm

Velda those are fantastic!
I'll be back.
We're having round streak, gravy, green beans and buttered potatoes.
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”