Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Sept 19

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Sept 19

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:32 am

Good morning,

We are drizzly and cool but hoping to break 70* again by Tuesday. But fall is definitely here. And a cooler and wetter winter is predicted. I can never remember if that's El Nino or La Nina. We have a lot of small branches and fir cones down from the last two stormy days but they can wait until later to clean up.

Yesterday was washing small quilts I use on the deck all summer long. Time to pack them away. I also worked on LOTR. This is a big block - Sauron, the evil guy in the story. His block is 15"x20" and has taken me about 7 hours so far and I'm not half-way done yet. This quilt is giving me good practice to finally do two paper-pieced wall hangings. I've had the patterns for 10 or 12 years but was always afraid to give them a try. Now I can probably do them! A sheltie and an old water wheel in a grist mill. By the way, I did post a few photos of my LOTR blocks if you'd like to see them.

Today's plan - make the trailer bed (we leave for another camping trip Oct 1st), do some straightening up in the house, more LOTR work, and Seahawks game. Go Hawks! I've also been going through a large stack of old cooking magazines I've been saving for about 12 years. I've pulled a few recipes from them, but will pass them on to my walking buddy, Lori, tomorrow morning. She loves recipes. And it will be one more thing out of my house. Lori talks about rocks in the backpack of life. These magazines might have only been a pebble, but a pebble gone from here! Now I'm looking around for more pebbles. .. . .

TINA - how is that Christmas quilt coming along? You must already have the backing for it. I hope you get them finished in time. If I were looking at a new vacuum, I would definitely give those robots a shot. However, Bill just bought a SECOND Riccar for the downstairs and paid $140 to have the upstairs Riccar serviced, I guess we're keeping those. He insists on those vacs, and since they are just too heavy for me, guess who's in charge of vacuuming - at least twice a month, whether it needs it or not. :lol:

LORI - what are you working on these days? How are the boys?

JANA - loved the photo of Ethan and his bread! How did the big wedding go yesterday? Or is it today? I was gone for four days and so much happened and I lost track of things. Well, I hope you grow some more fingernails before the World Series! You might have to start working on your toes!

VELDA - what a great mission your church is working on. I'm sure you tuck a prayer into each backpack for the recipients!

Supper tonite is going to be leftover chicken parm. Not sure what I'll put with it. We had a little pasta and broccoli last night, but that's all gone. We have a few potatoes that need to be used soon, so perhaps that's what it will be. And frozen peas. Guess someone needs to go shopping soon . . . . Maybe Tuesday.

How's your meal planning going?

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Sept 19

Post by Becca » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:01 am

Good morning everyone cloudy here after rain yesterday afternoon
Today is my brothers Birthday He is my only sibling left
Welcome Home Mary Glad you had a nice vacation The campground sounds wonderful very relaxing I’m sure
Denise & Mark did the gutter in carport & front flower bed Got it ready for Winter And she took 2 bags of clothes to donate to their ministry at Their Church I am always happy to see anything go I have really weeded out clothes Denise said I didn’t have too many now
Mary Your quilt is a mind boggling project
You are doing a fantastic job I hope your DGS is blown away by it
My yard work will wait for Denise & Marks October visit
They brought broccoli salad Harvey House cole slaw Consonma rice & Steak she fixed
We have enough for leftovers
Chickie I hope you have some better days ahead
Irish That’s great to get nice neighbors
Tina Hope you get a cool down We are supposed to be in 40s at night next week
Lori Glad to have you join us
Have a great day everyone. Becca

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:42 am

Good morning!
Mary, if you're done with the rain can you please send it here? I sure need rain and a cool down! Your quilt is really coming along! I loved seeing all the blocks! Can hardly wait to see your layout of it with your center mountain scene! I need to do end of summer clean up.... when it cools off and summer is gone and it takes the darn mosquitoes with it! I can't even go outside for a minute now, it drives me nuts to get attacked by those little suckers! A few found a way inside and got me too this year!
The Christmas quilt top is almost finished, just 2 rows to attach and then the long strips of sashing on the sides. Yes I do have the backing, just need to have the top finished so I know what size I'll need for the backing, I'll have to add 10" over each direction so it gives her room to attach it to the quilting frame.
I have a kirby and a rainbow vacuums, they are heavy heavy to move around. Frankie knows now how heavy because I've been getting him to vacuum about once a month..... I'm going to mark the calendar for him for twice a month so he's doing the same as Bill 🤣😂 It really kills my back anymore. He says it does his too but we can share that duty for now.
Becca, happy birthday to your brother!
I'm so glad you have family helping out and taking you food and goodies, it's the best ❤❤
Tonight is Dad's night for supper. I think I'll make something with chicken. I'm getting tired of figuring out supper lately 🤷‍♀️ I've got the cooking hum drums.
Tina

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:17 am

Good early afternoon from a warm, very pleasant, SW. Pa....So nice outside and here I am, inside????
1st of all, Mary and Tina, vacuuming is one of the worst things a woman can do...Years ago, I dislocated a couple ribs by using the vacuum and both the chiropractor and the medical doctor told me, not to use an upright vac...Of course I have a Shark but really watch I don't extend, when pushing......OK, that was the medical alert for the day!

Mary, so glad to have you back and that you had a good time...I also enjoyed the trip whether you knew I was along or not......I have a feeling when you're all done with your quilt, there will be quite a few who will want you to make them one.....My kids have read all the books, as well as Kathy so just preparing you.......I wish there was some way I could get a truck to deliver all the cook books and magazines I'm coming across in the house I'm helping to clear out....This woman had a glassed in huge porch she had used for sewing but half of it has shelves and those shelves are filled with cooking/recipe mags and books (hard bound books).......Each time we go, I bring home more quilting magazines but to see the other ones is making me ill, lol......The SIL of the owner (who is in a home) has this thing about throwing everything away and it's terrible......
We were there for 7 hours yesterday and I finally found the bed in one of the bedrooms...There are stacks of clothes, decorations, Tupperware, unopened Christmas gifts, you name it, it's there...We're trying to sort things for the estate sale but we can't get a clear spot to put the stuff we've sorted.....My sister has a burn hole on her property and has brought well over 20 huge garbage bags of burnable stuff....This gal has every letter, bill, card she's ever gotten and the bad thing, some of the cards had money included and you have to go through each before tossing...We've all found money but I hit the jackpot...Came across a box with junk and also had what looked like a fire box...In opening, there was a peanut butter jar filled with change, medicine bottles filled with change but the best was 8 boxes of X-lax filled with change...There is also all those things that are advertised from Mints, coins, spoons with presidents pictures on, sets of everything.....In her cedar chest was wedding gifts that were never opened, expensive gifts! We did finally talk the brother into getting a dumpster instead of us hauling burnable stuff back home, so hopefully, it will be there on Tuesday and we'll go back and do some more....Hard on the back but I'm having a ball...Each box you open, it's a mystery, just like Christmas...This woman has more Lennox than the store, more Milk glass, more Crystal than should be allowed and never used any of it.....She was also into crafts and quilting (gorgeous quilts, which another SIL scooped up pretty quick)....But, I did come home with a bolt of muslin, from Joanne Fabrics that she had paid $2.59 a yard for....Oh happy day, can't wait to go back!

Jana, loved the picture of Ethan...Quite a handsome young man and to be a baker! I think your family will be chasing the gals away from your doors....Enjoy your day....

Becca, hope you're enjoying your day as well...Seems like you had a very busy week and need to take a day and rest......Hope your DB has a good birthday...Today would have been my oldest son and his late wife's 46th birthday as well has his son's anniversary and also the day,1975, our doctor called to tell us, he really needed to see Chris asap because of the xrays he had taken...A fun day turned into not so much fun but we are thankful we had Chris until 6 years ago.....Not to put a damper on the day because it is a gorgeous day and we need to enjoy each one.......

Still not sure what I'm going to do today...I did plant some of my new bushes the other day...Had to go and get top soil and fertilizer which made the car smell "great"...Also trimmed some of the other bushes that are growing like crazy....Might just pay some bills and then pick up a book...I'm being anti Steeler but might watch the Hawks......Notre Dame is now 3-0 and even though winning, they need to start playing better......
For dinner, just not sure, maybe a burger on the grill and some veggies.......

You all have a great rest of the day.....

Happy eating....................

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:09 pm

Good afternoon! I’m late getting to the table and my sewing room. Earlier I was doing the necessary work around here and trying to remain vertical. The vertigo was terrible until about an hour ago. Friday we fixed fence, so no sewing. Yesterday started out the same way—completely rebuilding MORE fence. It is on a hill, and between the deer jumping it and the cows wanting to go to the upper meadow, it has been destroyed for probably 100 yards. Working on the 30- to 40-degree incline was challenging. We are so dry here, there is nothing to give traction—dust, pebbles, dry leaves and a bumper crop of acorns. I felt like I was skate boarding or on roller blades. I was doing real well until I wasn’t . The vertigo hit with a vengeance, and I was on the ground several times—sliding down the hill under the fence, into the barbed wires and ripping my overalls, and totally unable to control my balance at all. Finally I was able to get to where DH could get the 4-wheeler to me and assist me into it. My internal gyroscope totally failed me, and I did not know up from down. I was crushed that I wasn’t able to help any longer and stayed in the 4-wheeler until DH finished the fence. When we got back home I laid down for an hour hoping I’d get to feeling better, but in the end I had to cancel dinner with our friends. I considered going in the wheelchair we had left from MIL but it doesn’t have seat belts, and I'd need it ! Well, it’s a crazy life we lead, but our friends were understanding, and we are trying for next Saturday.

Tomorrow I go for blood tests, so it will be interesting to see if anything has changed one way or the other.

Jana—Eathan should be super proud of himself, and I know you are as well. Love that the recipe has been in your family for generations and the tradition is continuing with a new generation.

Irish—you are right about vacuuming being the hardest thing women can do. I’ve never liked a heavy vacuum no matter the selling points. I figure a lighter weight one that I can handle every few days gets carpets cleaner than a monstrosity every so often or never. Thankfully now I have only tile and hardwood. OMG! The fun you are having! Those aches have to be eased by the fun and the finds!!! Isn't it incredible that she never looked at or opened gifts and cards! Some of that change should be looked at closely for coins that are worth more than face value, depending on age--the folding money as well! Silver Certificates are collectibles.
Tina—you are going great on those Christmas quilts! So nice you have a vacuum helper—both you and Mary!

Becca—happy birthday to your brother! Sounds like you have been busy and you have lots of good company and loads of yummy food!

That gulf goodie dinner never happened since I didn’t feel like doing anything last night. Thankfully there were leftovers. Tonight will be Yellow Tail, broccoli, salad and maybe some air fryer fries.

Bon appétit!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi there this very late afternoon!

Just talked to Aaron and my little Lila stole the show at the wedding. There was the traditional first dance and Lila loves to dance, so she grabs her little cousin, who is her age and a boy ands heads out on the dance floor. They danced, in a proper hold pattern to a slow song. Lila doesn't miss a thing and saw the photographer taking her picture, so she hammed it up more! At the end of the song, she leaned over and kissed her cousin on the cheek. That girl will be a handful as she grows up! Then the fast songs started and she was out there boogieing. There's video for me to see. Remember, Lila is just 3.

Dinner will be piecing and munching on what in the refrigerator. I know I have an ear of fresh corn, just waiting for me.

Not much else here. I am substitute teaching for the other girl in Relief Society next week. The lesson assigned was one I had already taught, so we changed it. I can get a lesson in a week, I hope.

Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:51 pm

Mary, I bet the cool days are welcome after that crazy hot summer you had. I'm not working on anything at the moment.

Mariam, your vertigo sounds like a terrible nightmare. I wonder if you'll ever get it under control. I sure hope so.

Becca, I need to go though my closet and get rid of some clothes as well.

Irish, sounds like that house is quite packed with stuff. I'm trying to declutter my life, so the kids won't be left to deal with it.

Not much going on here. Watched the Cubs play. Just a few more weeks until the playoffs. I'll be rooting for SF with Jana. I was actually born in SF. My family live up north back then. We still have family there.

For dinner I baked some chicken. I'll make mashed potatoes and a veggie to go with it.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Chit Chat”