Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday, Sept 11th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

Saturday, Sept 11th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 am

Good morning,

Sept 11. Every American hates this date. I very nearly lost my older sister in the World Trade Center but she ended up having to work that day so her excursion was cancelled. It's also my sister-in-law's birthday today plus it's the day her mom died. Then 9-1-1 happened. She no longer celebrates her birthday today but 2 days later, on her husband's birthday.

Yesterday I did get my trouble block repaired, Whew! Then I started a dragon block which I'll finish this morning. I cleaned my kitchen and packed a few fridge things into the trailer. Then went to chiro and had cold laser treatment on my carpal tunnel. It's only my first treatment, but I'd say it's working! He also advised using Biofreeze and to keep applying it repeatedly as my skin dries until it is no longer being absorbed. He likened it to a sponge soaking it in to the level it's needed. My friend who does "alternative healing" also said the same thing, using Arnica ointment - keep applying it until it no longer is being absorbed. Seems to work!

Today's plan - finish my dragon blocks, "Smaug", clean bathrooms, dust, pack trailer freezer.

TINA - glad the boys are all better. Gene says my nephew and his wife seem improved a bit. They've had a rough go but hopefully turned the corner. Yum! Hatch chilies! I already did mine - 7 chilies! I can hear you laughing! You'll have those Halloween blocks done in no time. And you still have 3 weeks to go!

BECCA - Glad CA got down off the ladder, but now the toe! Ouch! He does keep you hopping! Hooray for you getting in your old walk! I'm sure I can smell the aroma of that focaccia bread from here!

CAROL - wow! 6 hours to Monterey! It seems funny to know you are so far from me, yet hear you talking about I-5, which is OUR freeway! LOL! I hope you find your tablerunner. I looked all over for mine, but finally found it in the tall quilt stack in a back closet. It was folded between quilts but slid back further so as I lifted quilts slightly to look for the runner, I missed it first two times around.

JANA - You are light years beyond me when it comes to electronics! If something ever happens to Bill, I'll be up the proverbial creek without a paddle!

It was so nice to come home from my appt at 5pm and find Bill had prepped supper last night. Which meant he made the salad, took the leftovers out of the fridge (for me to reheat), and set the coffeemaker for this morning's coffee. Not a lot, but such a treat! It was thoughtful of him and I, of course, praised him and thanked him all evening long! He beamed!

Tonight's supper is going to be homemade pizza and salad.
What's on your menu?

gershwin64

Re: Saturday, Sept 11th

Post by gershwin64 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:19 am

Good morning!
September 11th is burned into my memory, I'm sure as all of yours too. What a horrific day 💔
Mary, I'm so glad your sister had to work on that day!
I'm so glad you got your block all fixed, I know you'll be happier 🥰 I bet the dragon block is turning out awesome! I know all your blocks are turning out amazing! This is going to be such a special quilt and we're all excited about it!
Hmmmmmm 7 chillies Mary, that would be 2 meals of enchiladas here LOL I usually use 4 in my enchilada sauce
Carol, no I don't wear gloves when I do the chillies, I just wash my hands a lot. Plus washing dishes helps take the lingering heat away. I do not touch jalapenos or habaneros though, those I will wear gloves for!
Frankie and Jazmyne just left to go get the chile.
Supper tonight will be, what else.....chile rellenos LOL it's our tradition I started. I'll make Spanish rice too.
Tina

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:46 am

Hello everyone sunny here today We are in 50s at night
Yes we all remember this day & what we were doing A neighbor called us We didn’t have TV on Changed our lives as well as all who lost loved ones
Maryz It is an on going time here as you don’t know one minute to the next At least the hornets nest is abandoned so no hornets just will have to have nest removed from house
Glad you got the block fixed something like that would bug me as I’m sure it would you too
Tina I can not do hot peppers My hands get on fire Enjoy your treat Glad your little boys are better
Of course I don’t like hot peppers so it all works out
I got laundry done Keith FaceTimed us like always I need to think on our meal We have a few leftovers but I will add some meat & corn on cob
Well CA just broke his glasses Getting ice from ice maker to put in his glass UGH So much fun We are looking for his prescription but don’t think it’s here He keeps it in glove compartment in case we were away from Home
Becca

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:26 am

Hi everyone. I didn't get here yesterday. Busy, busy day for me. I worked on arrangement of my Sew Along blocks. Lots of measuring and planning. Then cleaned house, vaccum, the whole job. Also spent the late afternoon cooking, making our family recipe of chicken noodle casserole. DH's very favorite! We had our meal last night and two days leftovers for tonight and tomorrow. I froze three more meals for later. We like a salad or jello with it might make some jello with fruit cocktail for tonight.
Today I started my piano key border. That's a lot of cutting, pressing and sewing. I decided to quit at lunch and do more tomorrow.
Making this quilt to fit our queen bed. I am setting in the blocks with big 12 1/2 plain blocks. That meant I needed two more blocks. Luckily I just happened to have two orphan blocks that worked with my colors. Then I plan a 3 - 3 1/4" piano key all around. Then I will need larger borders on the width to allow enough to hang down on each side.
I am happy with the plan so far.
Yes, today is so somber. So happy to hear your sister is safe from that awful horror. I understand her not wanting to remember her birthday, but really she should rejoice in the blessings she received that day! 💕

Have a sew.. beautiful..day!!

PS: forgot to say,. " Glad you were able to fix that stubborn block, Mary! 😉👍
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Return to “Chit Chat”