Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, Aug 30

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, Aug 30

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:51 am

Good morning,

3 more degrees cooler and we'd be in the 40's this morning. A breeze is wafting through the tall trees and the fountain sounds like a river. It almost sounds, and feels, like we are camping in the mountains. I am on the deck, but huddled under a quilt.

Yesterday spent my morning putting another comfort quilt top together. Then Drew brought me his sketches. He wants a queen size Lord of the Rings quilt. I described what he wants in Sew-in so won't bend your eyes here, but this is going to take some thinking! And research, which I started yesterday afternoon. I may even have to resort to watching the movie(s). How many are there? I really don't want to read the books. I love a challenge, but have to say, Gypsy Dancer was a piece of cake compared to what this project might turn into.

BECCA - that was so special to be able to watch your DGD's concert and then to have a special song just for you and your sweetie was frosting on your cake!

VELDA - Glad you conquered that furniture! Did you buy it at IKEA? We've bought things there that we had to assemble - the cabinets I now use for fabric storage among other things. We kept having to go back because parts were missing or broken. Bill said he will never buy assemble-it-yourself furniture again. I'm glad your experience, while not purrfect, was doable.

Tonite we're having tamales that I made some months ago. We'll probably have refried beans with them and maybe rice, too. And avocado.

Got any good ideas for your supper?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Monday, Aug 30

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:56 am

Good morning!
Mary, I have faith in you, this quilt will be a true show stopper and will inspire others too!
I didn't get to sew after church yesterday... after resting and taking ibuprofen for the pain I had a weird thing happen. I was washing my face and on the outside of my nose where my glasses sit there was what I thought a dry piece of skin....I took it off..... that spot bleed for hours off and on. When I thought it had stopped for good I put my glasses back on and there it went again so I gave up on wearing my glasses and sewing yesterday.
Assembling furniture can really be a bummer sometimes. We've had both good and bad luck in that department.
I think I'll copy Mary's idea and have tamales and I'll make rice.... not sure about beans... maybe I'll make red enchilada sauce too.
Tina

Becca

Post by Becca » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:11 am

Hello everyone sunny here Got my walk In & exercises Then trimmed off diseased leaves on our hostas This is the first time this has happened I sprayed & hope it doesn’t return I love hostas almost as much as the deers They ate my ones in front but. Never bother the ones in back Too close to door I guess
Maryz I have no doubt that quilt will be done soon You are a whiz at challenging projects I know nothing about LoTR Denise & Mark saw a movie I think Best of luck
I got my errands done but still have a couple for another day
I am ready for cooler temps
Yes I thought it was pretty special that Courtney thought of us She had her Papa go with her when she was shopping for her first banjo We always told her we wanted to be on the front row when she gave her first show Her parents were there instead

Tina Sure hope the nose is ok today Hope you get to see

Velda CA absolutely hates to assemble things He used to do it but it was a pain
I’m doing chicken tenders green beans and mashed potatoes. Applesauce. Becca

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:45 am

Good morning from a warm but overcast, SW. Pa....We had a bad storm go through yesterday and then again during the night so everything is really soggy, which is great....I was getting tired dragging out the hose every day....This might be real quick, I'm waiting for my sister to pick me up and we're going Mobile Home shopping....She had her realtor come, look and measure the house, told her she'd be in touch this week with prices but did tell her to start shopping....What I thought was funny, she said, the house and garage is what everyone is looking for not all the property and out buildings (unless maybe a farmer is in the market)...I thought for sure, the property would be the main seller......While we were playing cards, she mentioned the idea of an estate sale (mainly for the stuff still in the shop) and her daughter got very upset, telling her, she doesn't need to downsize, just let things as they are...My sister also said she has someone coming to look at all the guns and then again, her DD hit the roof.....I think and this is terrible, this daughter is just waiting for my sister to get so disabled, she'll just step in and take over....We had an uncle who was the greediest person on earth and I swear she must have his genes......OK, enough of that.....
On Sat. I went with my sister to help clear/clean out a house her friend inherited ...The owner had been a hoarder but it's not dirty just very, very cluttered...I worked in 1 corner of the bedroom for 6 hours, never made it out of that room...They also will be having an estate sale and just want things put in somewhat of an order....Yesterday, I could hardly get out of bed, I ached so bad, but it was a productive ache, if there is one......

Mary, as others have said, the quilt you come up with will be a winner...I've never really had any interest in Lord of the Rings although we did visit where it was filmed in Ireland...But, I think everyone in the family has read the books, but me! And knowing you, you're always up for a challenge.....

Oh Becca, what an honor to watch your DGD's concert...That would be so special....I too love hostas and so far, the deer haven't found mine, here at the new house...I have a huge one on Jim's grave and just bought 2 small ones to put on either side...I figure, the way they grow, I won't have to worry about anyone needing to "fix" the grave each year, after I'm gone...I also have a solar light in the middle of the big one...

Tina, now that is weird, how is it today? Of course could be an omen, you just need to sit more and relax....

I remember when DGS, Dan moved into his 1st apartment, he bought all his furniture at IKEA and it lasted until he bought his house, in fact, he still has some pieces....I've gotten a few pieces, 2 end tables from Target, that I had to put together (with help)......

Not sure what might be on my table for dinner...If I go with my sister, that usually means stopping somewhere so might be a "no cooking" day, again.....

Gotta go, she just pulled in....

Have a great rest of the day,.....

Happy eating........

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:54 am

Good morning!

Been helping Michael find some lost magazines. He was missing 3 consecutive months. I sent he to re-look in a spot, and two were there. Still on the hunt for the third.

Dinner here too will be the Tex Mex theme. I had ordered some small oval-shaped, single serving size cassarole dishes. They arrived yesterday, sooner than expected. Michael loved the Taco Bell enchirito, that is no longer offered. So I looked up a copycat version and will make those for our dinner tonight. It is a cross between a enchilada and a smothered burrito, with red sauce.

Mary - that's a tough challenge, but you are just the person for it. Remember that borders of solid width add inches with out lots of extra work. I am surecthere is fabric out there. Amazon and ETSY come to mind.

Becca - hope the plants survive. With me, they would be burnt toast!

Tina - ouch - hope the nose is better today.

Sewing is my day plan. I will try to ignore the mopping in the Batt Cave. I do need to go over the area a second time, due to the fine construction dust. It get wet and creates mud. So we will see who wins out in that battle.

Stay Safe,
Hugs,
Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:42 pm

Here comes the caboose again LOL. My supper was so good last night. Funny, but I seem to be enjoying fixing meals more now. Weird, isn't it?
We did grocery shopping this morning. I was out of so much! Stocked up on carrots, cucumbers, pepper, celery, lettuce, apples, etc. Nice to have frig with food in it. LOL.
Today we assembled one night stand. Went very smooth. Will do the other one tomorrow, then on Wednesday we can do the chest of drawers or DH's dresser.
I even started putting clothes in my dresser. Wow, a few more boxes emptied. Hurray!
Tonight we were invited to join our friends for dinner out. That's perfect. We stopped assembly early, took showers and just sitting here relaxing.
Think I will need to find a small desk, used maybe, for lap top and place for my paper, pens, address book, budget notebook,etc.
Oh, Mary you asked about where we got our stuff. I ordered from Walmart.com. Not sure, but think they were Wayfair? Some items are sold in bigger stores, but by having it delivered, there is less need for handle those heavy boxes. FedEx uses a dolly and the gal wheeled it right in and took it back to spare room. Really extra service and we were very lucky for her kindness. One that came the following day, we put it on a throw rug and slid it back there. Worked easy.
My end tables were only 10.00 each (on sale). A bit on the cheap side, but I really like them anyway. No tools. Brackets/legs, just screwed together. White legs. Gray two tier tables.
Hope I get here earlier tomorrow. 🤗
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Return to “Chit Chat”