Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, July 12

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, July 12

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:28 am

Good morning,

We are almost to the halfway mark in July. Time is flying! Too, too fast! Bill has his pressure-washing project about half finished. I got all my baking done and into the freezer yesterday. I will frost everything the day of the party. This cake will be 15" square and about 3-1/2" tall. A choc layer and a white layer. Not sure how I'll frost it yet. I might buy ready-made choc frosting and beat it up with a bit of cold coffee to give it a mocha flavor. Or I may ask Jana to bring some of her stash of buttercream and frost it for me!

I finished all my blocks for my GD3. Whew! Now that gets set aside while I finish my Christmas swap blocks. But first, this morning I'm dusting and mopping my downstairs - the 18x24 family room. And I noticed my cookie sheet cabinet in my kitchen is looking a bit like it needs to be cleaned. I can't have my super clean sister seeing that!!

Anyway, no need to worry that anyone is going to be getting bored around here! We manage to keep ourselves busy. lol!

LORI - you are off to the nunnery this morning! Enjoy! The sewing, the patio, the wine!

TINA - yes, by all means, use an extension pole, but better yet - a sprayer! Isn't this supposed to be your summer of sewing? When do you start babysitting again?

IRISH - You are putting plants in and I am taking them out! Well, not really out - I'm just closing some parts of our yard off with big rocks and letting Mother Nature do her thing on her side of the rocks. But I wouldn't mind a burning bush . . . .

JANA - Yes, there is memory loss with Huntington's Chorea. Also uncontrolled, involuntary movements, irrational rage, suspicion, paranoia, and a host of other things. There is no cure but there are treatments that help control the symptoms but Vicki refuses any/all treatment. Life expectancy from diagnosis is 10-30 years. Vicki started exhibiting physical symptoms about 20 yrs ago. She has always eschewed any kind of medical intervention for anything, but about 12 years ago I did get her to agree to go to my doctor (who saw her for free because she had no medical insurance) and he gave her an official diagnosis so she could apply for disability. Which she never did. We also went to the county auditor and got her property taxes reduced by about 80%, $20,000 in back taxes forgiven, and the danger of losing her home taken off the table due to senior, low income, disability status. that was back when she was still a friendly neighbor. Of course, she let that expire after 3 yrs and now her tax status is back to where it was. Kids have no legal status regarding their mom so they can't do it for her. Vicki's mother and brother both died of Huntington's. Children of Huntington's patients have 50% chance of inheriting the disease. Yesterday we saw rats running around outside her house. Double ick!! We have a pest control company here now in case any come our way. Living next to her has become a way of life for us now. Her yard is starting to look like Sleeping Beauty's castle - all overgrown - and strewn with garbage.

And speaking of garbage, our supper tonite be pork chops on the grill. I think I'll also make potato & onion packets and toss a salad.

What are you thinking about?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Monday, July 12

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:40 am

Good morning!
Mary, I'd like to know what happened to my planned summer too, someone hijacked it!
I can reach about 6' but I use an extension so can go to 8 or 9 feet pretty good. I can only reach with a brush in the grooves of the siding to that 6' mark though so Frankie gets on the ladder and does the overhang and the grooves to where I can reach and the siding to where I can reach with the extension. He does the corners that are out of my reach too where a roller wouldn't touch either.
Mary, it's sad about your neighbor and double sad that with medical help she could have a better quality of life. The legal and medical systems have really let her down IMO.
I have the kids now. I've had Jazmyne since the 1st and the boys just a couple days a week while Preston gets used to school. This is summer school and regular school starts the first week of August. When regular school starts I won't be having them unless they're sick or it's an inservice day for the teachers.
My pulled pork yesterday was sooooo good! Everyone loved it and Kevin and Maria took some home. I made potato salad, coleslaw, deviled eggs, pecan pie and coconut cream pie. Everyone seemed happy and full LOL.
For supper tonight I have the other pork butt in the oven but this one is using BBQ red chile. I tasted it before I put it on and wow is it ever yummy but it's hot hot chile hot! We'll see if it loses some heat as it cooks through the meat. We also have leftovers of all the other stuff plus salad.
We lost power for 4½hours last night, thankfully it was after I cleaned the kitchen. It was hot in the house though and we had a storm from you know where that knocked the power out! Not much rain but 55+mph winds!
Tina

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:06 am

Hi everyone. Just got back from my errands. I got my Mamo rescheduled until September. Technician said it's much better to be completely healed.
DH treated me to lunch at DQ. My new favorite is Crispy chicken salad. Less guilt and I love it.
He gets his $6 lunch specify with a sundae.
I have my sketch made for this week's Sew Along #15. I am ready to pick fabrics.
So sorry about Vicki. I would hate to see rats, too. Wish she could have the help she needs.
Boy, Tina, your meal makes my mouth water!!
We have a dance tonight, so we will eat out again. This is really spoiling me!!!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:32 am

Good morning!

Very quiet at my house. Karlie is playing with the paper dolls I have here. Little Mermaid is the favorite.

Gained control over the mess in the kitchen. I do still have toys all over, but that's OK. Dinner is the chicken that everyone wants.

Mary - I would be glad to bring my buttercream, tips and bags! I am rusty though. You will do a fabulous j9b!

Tina- our kids start early in August too. Sandee goes back to teach around the 6th of August, then Ethan starts a couple of days later.

Vel - always great to get new favorites! Mine is the sandwich from Popeyes.

Well, laundry awaits as well as floors and counters

Hugs,
Jana

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:44 pm

Well I had to come back and let you all know, my pork tastes amazing! That bbq red chile sauce is totally awesome, I'll be using it again and again LOL I used the rub I made then poured the whole jar of sauce on it and then added water to the pan so it wouldn't dry out or burn. I sealed it all up in a roasting pan with aluminum foil and it was in the oven for 4½ hours at 300° and I had to add a little more water and then back in the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes at the 300 and then I reduced the temp to 250° for an hour. I took it out to check it and it totally fell off the bone and fell apart. It's yummilicious! It's got a little kick but wow is it ever yummy!!
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”