Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, July 11

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, July 11

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:43 am

Good morning,

We're having cool mornings this week and warm afternoons - 75-80 degrees. Purrfect!! Bill has the end of the house where our patio and firepit are located all pressure washed. Now he's doing cement parking pads in front of the house, then the house itself. I would do it the other way around, but if I've learned anything in the last 29 years husbands don't like suggestions, ideas, or comments from wives. So I'll just let him do it his way.

I'm still working alternately on Christmas Swap blocks and GD3 blocks. And tomorrow will come another Sew-along block to add to my list. Life is good!

VELDA - I can sleep through storms, but let the cat or dog start "urping" and I come awake instantly! I think it's a mom thing . .

TINA - Glad you finally got the skirting all done! Whew! I'm no fan of painting, though I AM a fan of things getting painted. Just not by me! lol! Smart to do yard work in the cool cool cool of the evening! We have all our sprinklers on 5 different timers and they water from 3:30am to 8:00am. Any later and the heat of the day makes the water evaporate too quickly, especially on hot days. We run our sprinklers 45 min every other day in summer, but during our really hot spell a few weeks ago we upped it to an hour every day. Our plants were grateful. We see orange chicken in the frozen section of most grocery stores - different brands. We have Trader Joe's in Tacoma and Silverdale but not close to us. So we buy Costco. The Costco variety has 2 packages of it in the box and each package serves about 5. It's great with white rice.

JANA -thanks for the recipe though I'd have to 'tweak' it a bit for us. :D Bill loves pasta salad but I haven't made one for a long time. I usually make potato salad and yes, with yummy Miracle Whip! We like the tangier taste. Mayo is too bland for us. I also love to add smoked paprika to both pasta and potato salad.

LORI - is your retreat an overnighter or is it just "day camp"? What projects are you taking?

We heard from our Oregon friends (Jay & Jackie) last night. They are arriving 2 days sooner (July 17) than we'd thought so we'll be scrambling a little bit next week. Then our other Oregon friends, Bob & Betsy, also texted that they will be arriving on schedule July 19. And everyone will be leaving July 21 or 22. Good thing we have lots of RV parking! Also, I volunteered to make a big cake for the party at Tex & Annette's on July 20 (Bill's birthday). There will be 20 people. I have a set of square wedding cake pans and I'll use the middle one I think and start baking (from scratch) today and freeze the cake. I was thinking of making one layer white and one layer chocolate. So life is going to pick up the pace here very soon. My sis and DBIL will be arriving Aug 2nd for 2 weeks so nothing is going to settle down for a while. But they are no stress guests. And we love company so all is great! But we do have to write detailed notes for everything on our calendar!

Meanwhile, tonite's supper is a big old guess! Maybe homemade pizza?

Have you got a plan yet?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, July 11

Post by gershwin64 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:17 am

Good morning!
Thank you for the recipe Jana. I thought it was just macaroni salad LOL
Mary, your house is going to be buzzing with all your company, sounds like a lot of fun! Your cake sounds yummy!
I'm having a house full today so I'm making pulled pork, potato salad, coleslaw and I'm going to bake a dessert just not sure which one yet LOL sorry this is such a zoom through but I want to use my oven before it gets hot outside.
Tina

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:48 am

Mary, everything is included in the retreat. Lodging, food, and a big place to sew. It's in wine county, at a nunnery. There are a few retired nuns who live on the property away from the retreat area. There's also a huge swimming pool and a wonder covered patio area to sip wine in the afternoon.

Tina, I don't turn on my oven much in the summer either. It's just too hot. Even with the A/C on. Most of my cooking is done outside on the grill. And since we got a grill with a burner, I don't even have to turn on the stove. Less mess inside.

Well I need to do some things around the house before I leave tomorrow. I'll sew a bit as well. But first we are heading out to the park to walk Wrigley and Jack. It's there favorite day.

For dinner we'll have left overs.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:22 am

Good afternoon from a very warm but starting to cloud up, SW. Pa....It's been a gorgeous morning and guess now we'll have some rain, which is always needed....At least I won't have to water my plants...AND speaking of plants, I'm thinking my sister might be right, (but not telling her so), when it comes to me buying too many plants...I still have a dozen or so that need to be planted but slowly running out of room and found myself, moving a couple to be able to plant a couple burning bushes....I am going to call my realitor's husband who does landscaping and have him stop and give me advice.....To me, plants are like fabric, can never have too many plants or yards.......
You all have heard what they call quilters in a fabric shop, haven't you????? "Nuts and Bolts"

Mary, Wonder if I could borrow Bill for a couple of days...Doesn't even have to bring the scrubber, I have one hidden in the shed.....I've been tempted to drag it out and just might do so, on one of these super hot days....Most of the time, I sleep through anything but if and when BabyGirl might "call", I'd be wide awake.....

Tina, Bet you're happy to have the painting done...Jim always took care of the painting but I knew he was done when I said, the master closet needed done..He then went to the basement, got paint, roller, brushes and a stir, brought it upstairs and said, to me, "Here you go".....He never painted after that and that's when I really started to realize, something was wrong.....Everyone talking about orange chicken, I'm going to have to give it a try.......

Lori, your retreat sounds heavenly.......I agree about it being too warm to turn on the oven....I'm getting by with a lot of salads and sandwiches or using the grill.......

My sister stopped over bearing gifts in the form of banana nut bread...She also had an invitation from my nephew to stop over for a jam session/rehearsal type get together and later pizza....I do need to take care of my neighbor's fur babies and then a couple of the grand kids might be stopping by....AND speaking of grand kids, I had a very long message from Nick who is back in Jordan...Just blows my mind that he's so grown up and so far away.....

If I don't go to my nephew's, I'm sure the kids will be bringing dinner...But, if not, there's always burgers and dogs that we can put on the grill.....I even have some Snowballs for afters if anyone is interested.......

You all have a great rest of the day......

Happy eating..................

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:33 pm

Good afternoon!

Home from church, my lesson went well. When I have too much material for my time, it means it went well. Off until next month. I will share store bought treats with them, since my lesson will be near my anniversary, a just because.

The house is quiet, everyone is gone at the moment. No idea where, but that's fine. Dinner will be leftovers from last night. I always make too much. Karlie will get a hot dog, she wasn't too fond of the cassarole. The peas, she loved! So the chicken and country gravy will be tomorrow.

Mary - oh my at how far Vicki wanders. Is there memory problems with Huntington? Gotta love our sweethearts! Even when they are slow at doing.

Irish - you and my Sarah are two peas in a podcast. She too can never have enough plants! She tries to over plant my yard, which is not me.

Lori - enjoy the retreat. Are you driving up to the Napa area, or staying closer to h9me?

Tina - how high are you reaching to paint? A long extension pole might save climbing up a ladder or a inexpensive spray gun. Be safe!

Well, time to fix brunch here for Michael and me.,

Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:18 pm

Jana, it's in Temecula, and I'm driving. It's only an hour and 15 minutes away.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Chit Chat”