Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sat, July 10

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sat, July 10

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:40 am

Good morning,

We hit 81* yesterday and will be in the 72-82 range for the forseeable future (which is the 10 days my weather app on the phone gives me.) Purrfect! Lots of deck time - in the morning and in the evening. But I wouldn't mind a good nighttime rainstorm or two.

We are wrapping up our big chores around here. Bill cleaned the roof and gutters yesterday, will spread anti-moss stuff today, and start pressure-washing the house and cement. Not sure if I will help with that or not. I may have to manhandle the back end of the hose for him. I finished my inside big chores. Now I'm going to coast until just before our company arrives and then do the last minute dust/mop/vac thing. So in the meantime, I will be doing a lot of sewing, I guess. I made some lotto blocks yesterday and sent them off to Teresa. It's the same pattern as is featured on the cover of the lastest BLOCK magazine only in Christmas fabrics. then I did a lot of GD3 filler blocks, and finally finished fusing my Christmas Swap blocks down. These blocks are a red pick-up with a tree in the back, and when I'm finished for the day I move to the deck for the evening and pick up my cross-stitch project - also a red pick-up with a tree in the back.

IRISH - it's SOOO good to see you back at our table! You have been missed! and you even came with a first hand eagle report! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. Keep up that good work! And yes, Costco is considered a 'date' here. We always go together and stroll down every single aisle to see what we can see. And we always come out loaded and poor. Sorry you didn't catch any fish at your sister's camp, but you wouldn't like it anyway . . . :D

VELDA - I'm glad you got your tooth fixed so quickly and easily. I'm a dental weenie. I practically have be numbed up just to let the dentist into the room with me! and I would like your tacos! Lots of veggies. We are so low om fresh veggies right now that all I have in the crisper is a few sickly leaves of romaine. We need to do a grocery run SOON.

JANA - I'd be on a step stool with all your little girls! :lol: My Autumn lived in CA for 6 years. Aaron wanted to move to TX and so they did as soon as SHE found a job there. She took a fair-sized cut in pay yet her take-home paycheck was $400 more a month in TX! That was the difference in all the taxes in CA. If money is all that keeps Aaron in CA, he should check out how UT taxes and cost of living compares to CA. How would Kari feel about moving to UT? Her family is all in CA, right?

Well, the orange chicken from Costco was a big hit last night. The only problem is the sauce isn't quite enough, but it was all really good and we have enough for a second supper tonite. We had it with white rice. So much easier (and better!) than my homemade from scratch recipe. This is definitely going to be a staple for us from now on.

What's your menu for tonite?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sat, July 10

Post by auntjana » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:39 am

Good morning!

I have a kitchen back! Keeping ahead of this tribe is a full time job! I did break out the paper goods, but paper goods don't do well for cooking on a stove! LOL! Today will be quieter, Aaron is on duty, Sarah is at a family wedding and Matt is picking Andrew up from a scout camp, up near the Idaho border. Just Daniel and family here. My Karlie is quieter than a herd of mice.

So I will be heading to the Batt Cave to straighten and sew. Maybe build a drawer or two as well. Dinner will be banned noodle cassarole, a Karlie favorite. I have been striking out on a few dinners here with her. One hit though is my macaroni salad. All my kids love it. Very kid friendly with things most kids like. Tomorrow dinner will be chicken, rice, smothered in country gravy. A Daniel request.

I teach Relief Society tomorrow and I am behind on my lesson prep. Family does interrupt routines.

Mary- you should have washed the house when it was hot, a good way to stay cool. Love the truck you made for the Christmas Swap. There are some wonderful blocks in that swap. I did think twice, but have much on the plate here right now.

Enjoy the day!
Hugs,
Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:41 am

Rainy weekend here. Nighttime storms were very loud according to DH. Of course, I slept through it. Except to go to potty. I heard rain then. However he said there was such a blast of lightening and thunder that it shook the camper. I never heard or felt anything. πŸ˜‰
Going out to eat tony with our friends and then to music event. Don't know where we are going to eat. It will be good, I am sure if that.
I finished up Lotto Blocks. Will mail on Monday.
HUGS, πŸ’• Vel

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:36 pm

Hi everyone!
Mary, your post wore me out! You all keep talking about that Cosco Orange Chicken, does any other place sell it? What brand is it? We don't have a Cosco very close, maybe in El Paso? πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
Jana, I was hooked on your macaroni salad, kid friendly and such and then.... here you strung me along and didn't post your recipe πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ what's up with that? πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚
Vel, my friend and boss used to tell us that her hubby could go out on the town after she fell asleep and she'd never know it LOL I've had a couple of those nights myself.
Well we're to hit 103Β° today πŸ₯΅ but tomorrow we're supposed to have rain and a little cool down. I sure hope so.
I'm done painting skirting, the last 2 pieces will go on this evening after supper.
I was out last night until 10pm weed eating and then using the leaf blower. It was way better doing it in the light of flood lights compared to the scorching hot sun beating down. I think I found a new time to do my yardwork!
Supper tonight will be a burger on the grill and a nice ice cold salad!
Tina

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:47 pm

Tina, I get Trader Joe's orange chicken, but they have it at different grocery stores as well.
Bill usually mows the yard in the evening in summer. It's the coolest time to do it.

Velda, I wish I could sleep though noise and light like that.

Jana, I haven't had macaroni salad in years. Maybe I'll make some up next weekend.

Irish, so good to see you post again. Glad you are back.

Mary, sounds like you are ready for company. It's been a little warm up there again.

I've been cutting and organizing things. I have a retreat Monday-Thursday, so I have my projects and stuff ready to go. I'll load up the car tomorrow night so I'll be ready to head out Monday morning.

Dinner will be Italian. We are going out with friends.

Have a lovely evening.

Lori 8-)

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:47 pm

Tna -

Sorry - here is the recipe - well sort of - it's not one that I have measurements for - but here goes -

1 box - abt a pound of ditalini - otherwise known as salad macaroni
1 can tuna - drained - I break up the big pieces, so they are small - sorry Mary!
Mayonaise - enough to coat the pasta to how ever wet you like your macaroni salad - I like mine towards the wet side
Mustard - maybe about 1/4 c - if you are not fond of mustard, it can be left out, but we like mustard - just the regular yellow stuff - I use French's
Sliced olives - we love olives, so it is a large can that I put in
hard boiled eggs - usually about 6 - cut up into large dice
Celery Salt - this is the seasoning - I sprinkle on some - taste and add more if needed. That way I never , well, usually, don't get it too much.

So I cook the pasta and rinse it in cold water, drained well and then add the mayo and the mustard, stir it until wwell coated and then add everything else, chill. Now if you want Michael's way - no mustard, and add dill relish, cucumbers, green onions and diced celery - and yuck - Miracle Whip, instead of mayo. There you have it. My kids all love it and want Grandma to make it for all the family parties. Any questions, just ask. I am a cook sometimes by the seat of my pants.

Jana

Return to β€œChit Chat”