Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, May 29th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, May 29th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat May 29, 2021 6:28 am

Good morning,

Welcome to our newcomers! So wonderful to have a full table!

Our weather is improving again - rain is gone and temps will break 70* today and keep moving up the ladder through the next week. When it was chilly and wet, we were thinking comfort food and invited two couples for spaghetti supper on Sunday. Now it's going to be 75* here, purrfect BBQ weather, but we already promised them spaghetti, so spaghetti it will be. But we may still have campfire outside for pre-supper happy hour so that still means a bit of yard work to be done today. And some house uglies. Grocery shopping. And I think I'll make actual meatballs so I may get those made today, too. Busy, busy, busy. I have patriotic dishes (service for 4 only) that I plan to use. I'll use a red and blue plate for Bill and me. (as an aside, Eleanor has the same dishes and has used them in one of her books and her greeting cards. I asked her. :D ).

Well, we got quite a response when I slacked off on Supper Club, so it's back and here to stay! And if I'm gone, sick, late or asleep, you don't have to wait supper on me! You go ahead and start without me and I'll catch up.

LOIS - welcome to the table! The thing here is our table has an unlimited number of leaves! Did you find the little outfit for your gr-nephew? I didn't realize beans were off a kidney-safe diet. All beans?

JANA - no squished toes here! Just appreciation! And sorry, but we are a Miracle Whip household. We like the extra little tang that MW has. To us, mayo is bland. And we LOVE pickles of all kinds. But I will be careful to keep all those yummies on my side of the table! My DD's is a house divided on the issue so she buys both and mixes them.

LORI - I've never heard of Tamarisk honey. Do you think it's smokey flavor is because of the fires that CA always seems plagued with? I know, smoke can flavor wine. It's amazing how different everyone's potato salad is. I go heavy on the eggs and add in diced dill pickles and sliced black olives. My SIL uses sweet pickles. Many years ago (I was 18) I was at a ceramics class with my mom and younger sis and our teacher, Inga, who had escaped from East Germany, offered us some of her special potato salad. Since it's one of my favorite foods I immediately heaped up my dish and dug in. She'd put FISH in it!! UGH!! I almost vomited on our work table! My sister, who loves anything from water, scarfed hers down and when Inga wasn't looking, we swapped dishes. She ate it all for me, but I had to pay later for that favor! :lol:

SHARONA - welcome! So happy you think that recipe is worth trying. It's from Taste of Home magazine, I think. I tried another new recipe yesterday from my old Betty Crocker cookbook - Taco Casserole Bread. Though it tasted more like cheesy enchiladas to me. Or maybe my chili relleno torte. It wasn't spicy but just mildly flavorful.

BECCA - the chilies I used on the soup were very mild. They were canned Hatch chilies. The Rotel tomatoes gave it some heat though. We like medium heat so the tomatoes were just right for us. But the recipe calls for regular diced tomatoes. We don't have a Walmart in GH. They tried to build here but the community banded together and kept them out. Their business practices drive smaller local businesses out and we didn't want that. But we do go to WM occasionally when we're traveling. They have everything, including ample parking for an RV. We don't have any Dollar Stores here either. The closest one is in Port Orchard, 20 miles away. So I never go there, either.

Well, it turns out I lied about our supper last night. We ended up with burgers and baked beans. And I think tonite will be chef's salad with grilled chicken. I plan to clean out the fridge today, so who knows what will be going into this salad. Everything I find and then some.

What's the menu plan at your house?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Saturday, May 29th

Post by auntjana » Sat May 29, 2021 8:11 am

Good morning!

I am leaning toward grilling something. Veggies, chicken, whatever pops out of the freezer. It might even be warm enough to eat out on the deck. Just using Italian salad dressing as my marinade.

Matt is gone up to his in-laws property in Dueshene, the middle of nowhere! No trees, no water, nothing! Just dirt. Not my idea of a camping trip. Matt did find a covered trailer for the side by side. But it is at home, as Enoch needed to pull the RV.

Aaron is at work. Seems a semi with a load of watermelons, caught the trailer on fire, and spilled the load all over the freeway. BBQ'd watermelon anyone? LOL!

So a bit more carpet washing, the last section and while that dries, I can sew! I did a bit of sewing yesterday while they were doing the electrical in the LA area. Then they did the electrical in my main sewing area. I will have bright LED lights over the island. Now I will have no excuse for seams not matching, or points getting eaten! LOL.

Ethan has a girlfriend. Not his idea. A little girl, who lives across the street has a crush on Ethan. She is the older woman, she's 11 or 12. Ethan is just nine, but looks like he is that age. Ethan came in and asked Sarah, what do I do with this girl? Sarah answered, just smile and be a friend. Ethan was a bit worried. I think there will be much more time, hiding out at Grandma's house this summer.

Better get started on my chores, I want to play!

Hugs,
Jana

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat May 29, 2021 9:31 am

Mary - Stu is here and just taught me a new acronym that Bill might enjoy. He probably, already knows it, but here it is - the PICNIC error - problem in chair, not in computer. Michael and Stu were tracing out some error with the watering system and controller, well, Michael was the error. He was fussing around in my pantry, where the main valve to the watering system is, turned it off and forgot he had! They before figuring that out, thought the computerized timer had broke. Hence the new phrase.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat May 29, 2021 10:50 am

Mary, Tamarisk is a flowering tree where the bees get their nectar. It's a darker honey. I got it from the farmers market the other day to try something new. Plus, I try to use honey instead of sugar when cooking.
I put celery, green onion, black olives, dill pickles, mayo, mustard olive oil and red wine vinegar in my potato salad. I made it yesterday, so we'll probable have it today. It's always better after sitting for a day.

Jana, that's a great acronym. lol What a shame all those watermelon burned. Awww Ethan is growing up, but not too fast. So cute.

I finished up my JN top yesterday, and got it marked for quilting. I will layer it today and start on that.

I think dinner will be grill chicken and potato salad. I might try and make the bbq sauce today. We'll see if that happens.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat May 29, 2021 12:12 pm

Hello everyone late here today Been busy like all week had been Got laundry done meds Walking in Made meatballs served over rice
We are much cooler today very nice & supposed to be 45 tonight
Lori I have never heard of that kind of honey Here sour wood is our best kind
Jana We just had an experience with our Generator Light was red that should be green He watched utube & found out what to do He had hit the off button when wiping it clean I was so thankful it wasnโ€™t broke
Maryz Enjoy your guests I donโ€™t think they would mind if you changed the menu

Hope everyone has a wonderful day Becca

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat May 29, 2021 12:49 pm

Becca, I hadn't heard of it either. My favorite is flower honey.
Lori 8-)

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat May 29, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi ladies. Maryz, so happy to see "Supper Club" back. I know I don't always post, but I love popping in to see what you are cooking. I will try to add my " hello" and " howdy-do" more often. Also will try to get here before supper is over. Ha,ha.
Most people are grilling at the campground. We just got invited to dinner out with friends and then a music event. Area favorite band is playing at a small mall court yard, so there might be space to dance, too. Inside, which is good because low tonight is 43ยฐ. Brrr!
Tomorrow the same band is playing at our local DQ. This one will be outdoors. Warmer tomorrow. We are planning to eat there and then stay for dancing. Not much cooking here. I am not complaining. I had turkey burgers on the menu, so they are frozen patties, so next available night we will pop them on our little grill.
Maryz: I think I would love your black bean soup, but not sure about DH. Might check it out and make a small batch. Heat up another soup for hubby. Do you freeze this soup?
Well we are meeting friends at 4:30, so better go get ready.
Glad you are all back.... missed you all very much!! ๐Ÿ’•โ˜•๐Ÿฅช๐Ÿ๐ŸŒฎ๐Ÿ•๐ŸŸ๐ŸŒฝ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿฅ’๐Ÿฅฆ
Hugs Vel
HUGS, ๐Ÿ’• Vel

Return to โ€œChit Chatโ€