Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, May 28

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, May 28

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri May 28, 2021 6:28 am

Good morning,

Today is my parents' 87th anniversary. I have their wedding picture on my wall. They were 19 and 22 at the time. My mom looked irrepressibly happy! My dad was always a solemn, serious person, but even he had a smile on his face.

So where has everybody been? I was gone camping and figured no one was stopping by so kind of gave up myself. But LOIS said she missed it and that's all I needed to hear! So, LOIS, this one's for you! I hope you pull up a chair today! And SHARONA, since you asked, the recipe I'm going to post is for YOU!

Camping last week was fun and we'll be leaving for another trip June 11-?? We'll be camping in north central part of the state for a week and then land at our friends in LaGrande, OR for a few more nights. We aren't going to our RV rally this year (Covid) and neither are they, but he always helps to set up so we're going to assist with that. She is our friend, Betsy, who had the double lung transplant 9 yrs ago. Starting to fail now and we will see what we can do to help around their beautiful place while we are there. They are such wonderful people. But we don't want to be the company that ends up like stinking fish after 3 days so we'll play our visit by ear.

I've been working on my Star Bright and also my cross-stitch. I should be working out in the yard but it's been pretty chilly here this past week. So perhaps this coming week I'll be getting out there. I need to deadhead some things, prune others, feed my roses, and do some weeding and raking. Never ends.

As for supper tonite, Still in question but maybe some grilled chicken. Depends on the weather at grilling time. I also have cauliflower that needs to be used. So I'll see what I can do with that.

In honor of our stormy day yesterday, I made some soup - Southwest Black Bean Soup. Bill couldn't stop raving about it. It was almost embarrassing! (kind of makes me wonder what he's thinking when he says nothing . . . :roll: ). SHARONA expressed interest so here is the recipe.

SOUTHWEST BLACK BEAN SOUP
6 servings

1 sweet red pepper, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 cans (14 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
3/4 tsp cumin

1-1/2 c. cooked rice
sour cream

Saute veggies in oil til tender. Add rest of ingredients except rice an sour cream. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 30 min or until thickened. Divide rice into bowls and top with soup and sour cream.

And for the most part, I followed the recipe, but as usual, I went a little rogue. I saute'd the veggies and then put everything in the crockpot for about 4 hours. I didn't drain the beans and I used Rotel tomatoes instead of regular diced tomatoes. Bill loves Rotel for the extra 'zip'. Instead of serving over rice, I tossed some pasta in last 30 min. Also, I don't always use just black beans, but vary them sometimes. I doubled the cumin, and added more broth. Sometimes I toss in leftover chicken. It's extremely versatile and it's all yummy!

fabricgirl

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Friday, May 28

Post by fabricgirl » Fri May 28, 2021 7:30 am

Good morning,
Today is ugly day then we will be off to Walmart I need ink for my printer also want to see if I can get an outfit for our nephews little boy who will be 2 on Monday so thats where we will be .
Mary that soup sounds good but with Bill's kidney issues I don't do beans of any kind.

So today for dinner we will be having grilled porkchops with fried rice and Applesauce.
Watermelon.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri May 28, 2021 7:36 am

Good morning!

Just finished breakfast, eating that is, then the kitchen needs to be straightened up. That will be a quickie.

My carpet is still a bit damp, so will wait until later to start the next.

SSDD - again- same stuff different day.

Dinner - either I will talk Mikey into out and no cooking for me, or I will grill, outside, some chicken with my simple potato salad. I am not a fan celery and absolutely detest, down right hate pickles, so my potato salad is simply, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, mayo, and mustard. I use celery salt for seasoning. Oh, it has to be mayo, not that other yucky stuff! I am picky. But, there is another in this house that loves everything I don't, so every once in awhile, I make him his own special potato or macaroni salad, loaded with everything in it, pickles, green onions, cucumbers, olives, miracle whip.

Mary - I always checked here for Supper club, missed it and never wanted to step on toes, so just waited. You soup sounds delish and will be tried here. I use those Rotel tomatoes all the time - especially in making queso. I buy the mild ones, as it can get spicy!

Time to get going, my handyman will be here shortly.

Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am

Mary, sounds like you are busy as usually. I like that recipe. Might give it a try one day.
I copy it and put it with my others. Nice of you to go help out your friend. I remember when she had the transplant. 9 extra years is a good thing.

Jana, I don't like Miracle Whip either. I will be making some potato salad as well for the weekend.
I put other things in mine, but leave out the eggs.

Lois, I went to Walmart yesterday looking for items I can't find at other stores. Didn't find them there either. I only go there about once a year. It's not my favorite place.

I picked up some Tamarisk honey at the farmer's market yesterday. I'm going to use it to try and make some bbq sauce. It has kind of a smoky flavor.

Tonight for dinner will be chili or burgers on the grill. Both are easy.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

womster

Post by womster » Fri May 28, 2021 10:47 am

Maryz - thanks so much for the recipe! I’m going to make it tonight. Since my black beans have been recalled bu Costco, I’ll use the three bean mix. And will also use the Rotel - YUM. Thanks again!

I just finished making all the reservations for our trip to return the girls back to OH in August. The hotel rates aren’t horrible. We will also be seeing my dad in Nixa and a grandson in Manhattan, KS.

If I could, I would ban Miracle Whip. But DH loves it so I just make two batches. I have love/hate relationship with our Walmart. xoxo

Becca

Post by Becca » Fri May 28, 2021 1:17 pm

Hello everyone im shocked to see Supper Club I always enjoyed it not because I cook that much but I enjoy others lives
Maryz Thanks for doing this I’m sure your friends will love having you visit Your recipe sounds tasty to me minus the chilies CA won’t eat nothing hot
You asked about him He is just having bad days He mostly lays on couch all the time
I had a very hard day on Wednesday at DDS
Denise & Keith got active & have help lined up for me with Dr visits

So good to see our new people at Table Hope you become regulars
Lois Glad you joined us
Lori Glad you are back & getting back in the sewing room
Sharona Glad you are here today As I said my cooking isn’t like it used to be CA eats so little It seems a waste of time but I try to cook what he will eat
I’m sure you will enjoy your DGrands this Summer
I hate Walmart & never go there We order a lot on line & I go to Dollar General
Jana You are doing some labor intensive work on those carpets Hope the Handy man gets finished so you can get back to your love
After our FaceTime this morning with DGS I trimmed 3 more shrubs today Have 3 to go Watered all my plants
Hope I finish tomorrow
I made a burger today Put in cheese for him And Baked Potatoes & fresh strawberries
Becca
I too hate miracle Whip CA loves Duke Mayo

Return to “Chit Chat”