Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Feb 12

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Feb 12

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:26 am

Good morning!

Happy Lincoln's birthday! I know we now have Presidents Day on a convenient Monday, but I still like to remember them separately. Lincoln is my favorite president.

We are 29* this morning and we have a light skift of snow on the ground our first this winter. But we're told a lot more is coming tonite! I have a chiro appt this morning at 9:15 but I'm sure the roads are clear. And it's close enough that I could walk if I had to but it's a big hill to climb and I'd be all sweaty when I got there. And then what to do with Scottie because he's not going to let me out of the house without him!

My tamale-making day went very well! A few texts to Tina for advice and a bit of recipe clarification but they turned out great. (I think). Now I just need to fine tune how hot and how long to steam them. I made 3 dozen in 2 hours. An audio book helps the task go faster. I will definitely be trying this again some time down the road.

Today is going to be a sew day, I think. Still working the log cabin blocks. 20 done, 40 more to start later this morning.

TINA - thanks so much for all your help! Your day yesterday sounded idyllic - 70* and no wind. Are you sure you were still in NM?? lol! From all you've said, (I'm sure a lot you haven't said!) it always amazes me that your DD stays with What's His Name. He certainly never puts family first!

JANA - so - did the desk get moved? Our winter yard work covers more than an acre and means raking up fall leaves, picking up branches, and in Feb, all the woody shrubs get fed. And some things get pruned. I noticed leaves are budding out on everything, too. A winter picnic! I love them! It's been a couple years since we've gone into the Olympic Mtns to cut a Christmas tree but we always take a picnic and usually someone before us has started a fire in the snow in a clearing. It's festive with other tree-cutters coming and going. People keep the fire going all day and stand around eating sandwiches and drinking hot cocoa after tramping around the hillsides hunting for the purrfect tree. It's one of my favorite holiday activities.

CAROL - (not to be confused with CarolE with an 'e' - lol!). Congratulations on your successful quilt show! I think, as more and more clinics happen, things are getting more organized and will go faster. At least you are having better weather for the volunteers who are working the drive-thrus. I'm happy your kitty is settling in. I wish I could pick her up for a good snarfle and a kiss between her ears!

BECCA - I really like Black and Decker irons. I had one from Goodwill that lasted 4 years - longer than any brand new Rowenta I've ever had. But the only one I could find didn't have automatic shut-off, and boy, do I need to have that feature!

LORI - I'm a steamer, too. And since I have my iron on usually several hours almost every day of the week, I guess I am cramming 5 years of use into 1 year. Still . . . . just seems things are built to fail after a certain amount of time so you'll be forced to go buy another one. Your garden tour sounds neat. Will you be displaying quilts in the gardens? And take pictures? and make calendars to sell next year? Utah again? Have fun! I hope the weather is good for you. I've seen Antelope Island on the map but we've never gone there. Seems we are always just passing through trying to get someplace else . . .

So the freezer is now full of tamales. I will know to use more seasoning and more sauce next time. I like both red and green so maybe I'll do both. And there will be a next time. My sis wants to make them together the next time they visit. So I better get my act fine-tuned before then! But for tonite - it's either going to be mini-meatloaf from the freezer with baked potato and salad, or else pasta of some sort. We haven't had pesto pasta for quite a while. Though, Becca's black beans over rice sounds good to me . . .

Have you decided yet?

zfatcat

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Feb 12

Post by zfatcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:38 am

Mary, I think Lincoln is my favorite as well. I think they should celebrate on the actual day, rather than when it's convenient. I remember them separately as well. When I was in school, many, many, many, years ago, we celebrated the presidents birthdays separately. Glad to hear your tamales came out good. My irons last any where from 2-4 years. Usually less when I drop them or knock them off the ironing table. Emma used to always get up on the ironing table and then launch herself off sending the iron to the floor. I had to watch so she wouldn't touch the iron. She was very curious. Molly not so much.

I went to Joann's yesterday and got a backing for a quilt for vets. Our Joann's is clean and tidy most of the time. Sometimes on busy weekends it can get a little messy. But that's because people who shop there are messy. I finished up a top on Wednesday and want to get it finished. It's raining, so our morning walk is on hold until it stops. I don't mind the rain, but Wrigley is a sponge when it comes to water, and I don't want a wet dog in my house.

Well we didn't have BLT's last night. We went out and had hot wings and chicken strips.
Tonight will be chicken and mashed potatoes with broccoli.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

Becca

Post by Becca » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:01 am

Hello everyone rainy here today again
I just got thru baking cookies Oatmeal chocolate chips
It’s a good day to bake Also did a few stitches on my dish cloths Hemmed some more yesterday
Maryz Your tomales was a hit I know If you got thru in 2 hrs that sounds reasonable to me
Lori Sure hope you have nice weather in Utah I know that your quilt show will be neat in a garden
I have meatloaf in freezer Willadd a potato. Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:33 am

Good morning!

Best laid plans just got booted. Ethan arrived. He had being a normal 9 y/o boy, a pill. So he didn't get his contacts in and forgot his glasses, so schoolwork will wait until this afternoon with Sarah.

Matt and boys are coming out later to move the desk. Michael keeps trying to come in with reasons for the desk to stay, but so far it is still going to it's new home.

The weather is doing it's own thing. Supposed to be raining and turning to snow, but we have puffy clouds and blue sky instead. Snow is expected through weekend and into Tueday.

Hopefully heading down to sew.

Dinner - chicken caesar salads, a staple around here. Even have an after - rice krispie treats. Ethan helped me make them.

Well, my help is needed,

Hugs,
Jana

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi everyone!
Mary, I'm glad your tamales turned out good. Sorry my mind works faster than my fingers LOL but we got it worked out. You should hear Frankie talk about "what's his name ", he's really been getting loud with his aggravation!
Lori, I liked it better when President's birthday were calibrated separately too. The Joann's I go to in Cruces is usually neat and tidy too, but like you say.... during sales. But the employees usually keep up pretty good. I got one of their emails the other day and I was skimming out and they're carrying thre wide flannel now, I ordered some curbside pickup! I'm happy!
Becca, I'm hoping we get rain here Sunday or Monday, it's gonna be cold though....brrrrr
Jana, I hope the desk gets moved and not talked out of.
I pieced some batting this morning so I have that all ready to go. It's starting to get a little cool in the house so I guess our 58° outside must be a cool one. We're all overcast here.
We're going to have leftover pot roast tonight and a salad.
Tina

The funeral for our fallen state police officer was today. They have set up a go fund me account for his wife and kids.

Return to “Chit Chat”