Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Feb 11th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Feb 11th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:35 am

Good morning,

Today is the first of our four "possible snow" days. It's in the right temp range this morning, but still too dark to check out the clouds. Yesterday I worked outside for a few hours again under brilliant blue skies and got a lot of yard work done. Everything out there that needs feeding is fed. I can relax now. Today is also tamale day! We'll see how it goes. What could possibly go wrong? After the tamales, I'll be going back to my sewing room. I only had about 30 minutes in there yesterday and I'm finding my log cabins aren't sewing themselves. And I need this quilt finished and ready to give by mid-March.

CAROL - hi there! Always a joy to have you at the table! Sounds like you've really been working hard to get your quilt show organized. I think you could be called a mover and a shaker in your quilting community! When you make your chicken ka-bobs, do you put the chicken on separate skewers from the veggies? I could never get everything to get done at the same time so I started separating them. How do you do it? And how is your little kitty?

BECCA - As usual, the virtual scent of those wonderful breads is wafting clear across the States to me! What kind of thread were you buying? We order cones whole sale from Superior Threads. I use neutrals almost exclusively for piecing and colors (Guttermans from Joanns usually) for appliques. I haven't bought thread in a year or two.

IRISH - poor Ruby, having to sit out in the cold and snow and shiver. Not even a carport to huddle under?? I loved hearing about Kevin's shoveling gang. I bet his neighbors love it, too! I also love that he babysits his little DGD. That is super sweet! How far does he live from you? and good news that you have an appt for your shot! When is it? My brother finally got his 2nd yesterday. He lives in North Pole and when he went last week for his 2nd (with his appt!) they ran short by 10 doses. So he had to go into Fairbanks (20 miles) yesterday to get it. My 2nd is Feb 23 but it will be a giant drive-thru event. The first shot took 3-1/2 hrs. I felt a lot sorrier for the volunteers working out in the cold rain than I did for myself. I hope this time it's more streamlined.

JANA - we finally donated all our Disney movies about 5 yrs ago. (all VCR's) Our grands are 24 and 27 and it's not looking like any new little ones will be coming along any time soon. This gave Bill more room on the shelf for his action films! I like cornmeal mush and also add different things to it. And I love grits, too. We put peanut butter in our oatmeal, and sometimes I'll drop in a few chocolate chips and it tastes like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

TINA - we eat TexMex and Mexican when we're in Texas and to tell you the truth, I don't know what the difference is, if any. Sorry about your lost crochet hooks. Got any project bags lost in your sewing closet that they might be in? We think all teachers should be at the front of the shot line before they open schools.

Well, the hope is that tonite we'll be eating tamales. Stay tuned for tomorrow's report! Going to make a salad to go with.

Quilter7

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Feb 11th

Post by Quilter7 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:40 am

Good Morning!
Mary - The k-bobs come from the butcher. I too burn the vegetables. DH likes them so it is okay.
The kitty is getting more socialized and more at home. She is still DH's cat. She purrs immediately when he picks her up.

The Quilt Show is free for anyone who wants to see it. (It may inspire you!) I am not on that committee although as President I am, but I did not do any of the real work on it. I did set up the Zoom meetings. We had 77 attend yesterdays with the Featured Quilter. She talked about her quilts and did a wonderful job. Everyone enjoyed it. It made it more like going to a real show.

The good news for us is both DH and I are scheduled to get our first dose of Covid vaccine today although not at the same time. We are both over 70. We are going to a local pharmacy. Los Angeles has not been getting enough vaccine. The larger vaccination sites are very efficient and friends have told me they are in and out in less than 45 minutes let's hope I have the same experience.

Dinner tonight will be Chicken k-bobs and a baked potato.

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:32 am

Hello everyone rainy here today I got my shots & got home quick
Maryz It was just a spool of white thread come from Italy I know better from now on The embroidery thread wasn’t high
I will order I was trying to help our local merchants
Hope your tamales turn out good I’m sure they will
I have had a Black n Decker iron for years Lots of years but I use a spray bottle since people said theirs messed up many years now Don’t use steam And mine wasn’t expensive either It was used in the shop too when they made some kind of game

Carole Your kabobs sounds delish Wish we had a shop like that
I am making blAck beans over rice And Bethanys good bread The scone was so good. Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:51 am

Good morning-still a few more minutes,

Carol - burnt veggies are just more caramelized! More flavor!

Becca - no matter where you get thread, it has gotten expensive!

Mary - oh winter yard work, ours is put off until spring. We do need to trim a couple of trees in the front yard, since they are dormant. But that is it. Snow gets in the way.

We have a bunch of storms rolling in this weekend, which are hampering a picnic plan. Too cold for actual outside picnic, but we will stay in the car to munch picnic food. Where is still up for decision.

Not much here. Puttering doing different things. Dinner will probably be our picnic, sandwiches and chips.

Stay Safe!
Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:07 am

Jana, winter picnic? Sounds fun. I'm coming up next weekend, so please get all the really cold weather out of the way before I arrive on Friday the 19th. I'm going to see if DS want to do a hike on Antelope Island. On the Monday I plan on venturing out, if the weather permits, to a few quilt shops. You were up late last night.

Mary, I can't wait to hear how your tamales turn out. The flavor of the meat is my main thing. I like a red sauce rather than green. I use California chili's or Poblano chili's to make a sauce. I go though irons too. I like steam, so I guess that shortens the life of the iron. I tried to use a spray bottle, but it's just not the same.

Tina, Sounds like your day yesterday went on and on. You must sleep really well.

Carol, so glad your show was a hit. My guild is planning a garden tour for June 19th. We need to raise funds since we were not able to have a quilt show.

I'm thinking BLT's for dinner tonight. I need to get to Trader Joe's and Sprouts for groceries today. Since FIL moved, out food bill is less than half. He eats way more than we do.

Have a lovely day.

Lori 8-)

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi everyone, made it here before bed today LOL although my eyes are heavy, i was wide awake before 5, ugh. 🤷‍♀️
Lori, sadly I don't sleep well at all. I have sleep apnea and insomnia, sometimes I wonder how I function. My insomnia has been doing a little better lately but it usually goes in cycles 🤷‍♀️
Mary, I need to go through my crochet project bags and see if I can find all my hooks. I know I had them all a couple years ago when i was trying a new pattern.
Jana, I think the dessert/ sweet tamales are made with masa without the garlic and red chili powder and then have raisins, pineapples and stuff like that in them but I'm not really sure since I haven't made any. But I do like your idea! Yummy!
Becca, we're 66° right now but they say come Sunday that our high will be in the low 30's... kinda crazy.
I have hyacinths blooming and the poor bees are starving so I mixed them up some food and sat it out back way away from the house. I told Frankie we should just feed them in the garden area so they'll pollinate his garden if he plants this year.
I put a roast in the crock pot early this morning with so many veggies that it all barely fit.... it really didn't but we'll keep that to ourselves LOL
I've been getting Easton all caught up on his work from yesterday because his dad thought it would be fine to take him and Preston on
an 11 hour trip instead of him doing his school work, ugh. We're trying to get him do today's also, it's a struggle for him to do so much in 1 day but we're down to just his art now. If he doesn't do it then he can do it tomorrow at home.
Tina

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:18 pm

Mary was texting me and asking about the tamale recipe and we came to the conclusion that I forgot to say to add the garlic powder and chili powder into the dry masa. I changed the recipe in Monday's post in case you all wrote it down. Sorry about that, I think my brain works faster than I type sometimes 😜
And if you want to make green then you can use green Chile powder instead of red in the masa.
I'm thinking for dessert tamales garlic and Chile powder wouldn't be added to the masa, I'm the one that adds that in my red just cause I like to have the masa have more flavor.
Easton got all his work done and got to take several outside breaks, it was a beautiful day today... right at 70° and no wind. The last hour was watching Easton and Preston taking turns hiding and finding plastic Easter eggs, too funny.
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”