Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Feb 10

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Feb 10

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:40 am

Good morning,

We were 28* this morning but warming to 41* this afternoon with a bit of sunshine. Tomorrow will be a different story - lower temps and possible snow. Up to 8" in some areas by the weekend. Most years we don't get any snow, so everyone is pretty excited about the forecast. Some are happy excited and some less so. :D

Yesterday I worked on log cabins. Then took a break and made kitchen sink cookies. (added choc chops, nuts, craisins, coconut, oatmeal), and did a few other kitchen chores. 3 hours later I was back in the sewing room. I ended the afternoon with a few hours of yardwork. With bulbs up and snow coming, maybe I should have left the fall leaves to protect my flowers . . . . Oh well . . . Bill was quilting my reindeer quilt with a snowflake pattern but a wire on his Q-bot broke. He didn't have enough to repair it so he had to order it. So all quilting has stopped until that comes. Last Sunday my CHI iron just simply stopped heating after a week of leaking and then the handle started heating up. It was only 10 months old. This is my third iron to quit after less than a year. And I was surprised to find how hard it is to find irons in stores. I went to three and the only ones to choose from were a basic Black and Decker and Rowentas. So, while I'm no fan of Rowentas, (I've had two), I now have a third one.

Tina, thanks for all the recipes. I do have a 10oz can of red enchilada sauce in my pantry. (and one of green). But I'll look for dry red chilies next trip to the store.

Jana, I hope Daniel finds his place in the sun. We chatted up several folks in campgrounds while traveling. Most of them want out of CA. Taxes are killing them and they see very little return on their taxes - parks, highways, etc are falling into disrepair. We have lots of CA folks relocating here. So, polenta - please correct me, but isn't that simply cornmeal mush? My mom made it now and then and chilled the leftovers in a loaf pan, sliced it, and fried it next day. That's what I call polenta though I season it different ways. Occasionally I'll buy a tube of it in the store. So, if you spread it while it's still 'mush', is that what you're talking about for tamales? you can tell, I'm really hooked on trying to make them. And tomorrow is the day! Glad you got your vehicles de-smudded.

BECCA - good to hear your little DGGD is improving. They say once you have pneumonia you are more prone to having it again. Asthma can complicate things. Both my DD's have it (as did my dad). Lara has had pneumonia twice and Autumn once. Nice to have handwork of any kind to work on. It soothes me. Usually. And then you have a pretty gift to give to a visitor when they stop by. Hopefully little Hadlee's dr appt was just a routine check? How is Brodee?

IRISH - how is your foot doing? You know how we worry, especially if you are out traipsing the yard. Please traipse carefully. I'm SOO happy to hear the eaglets are back with mom and dad and they are all one big happy family again. I wonder what Mom and Dad think. That salt/slush mixture on a car can be nasty. In Alaska, some of the gravel roads are coated with calcium. Now THAT is hard to get off your vehicle! It cakes on and hardens. It's like chipping away at tooth tarter. And when it's on your 1-ton pick-up and your fifth-wheel you spend a long time in the car wash! What are you crocheting? I can crochet long strings. That's about it. And yet I have a complete set of crochet hooks all sizes! lol! And I agree, come good weather, you need to take a trip west. Put me on your itinerary! Not sure our Mexican food here is authentic, but probably more than PA's. :lol: It's not really too different than what we get in Texas, so maybe we're not too bad.

Tonite we're invited to friends, Doyle and Susie, for turkey soup. I've been assigned dessert so I'm going to make key lime bars and oatmeal brownies.

How is your supper plan coming along?

Quilter7

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Feb 10

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:10 am

Good Morning,
Today our Guild Quilt Show opens (southbayquiltersquild.org at 10:00 AM Pacific time. It will be open until Sunday. I have previewed it and it is a great show. We are also going to be hosting Zoom meetings where you can join and see the quilt show. Today the featured quilter will be talking about her quilts. We are going to record it so you hear later what she says about her quilts. The Zoom meetings were my idea. I do not have a quilt in the show. I didn't finish anything last year!

Tonight's supper will again be chicken-k-bobs. Last night was Stuffed Pepper Casserole so we really have been eating a variety.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:45 am

Good Morning,
Today our Guild Quilt Show opens (southbayquiltersquild.org at 10:00 AM Pacific time. It will be open until Sunday. I have previewed it and it is a great show. We are also going to be hosting Zoom meetings where you can join and see the quilt show. Today the featured quilter will be talking about her quilts. We are going to record it so you hear later what she says about her quilts. The Zoom meetings were my idea. I do not have a quilt in the show. I didn't finish anything last year!

Tonight's supper will again be chicken-k-bobs. Last night was Stuffed Pepper Casserole so we really have been eating a variety.

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:28 am

Hello everyone sunny here at 66 Unreal after our cold temps I’m on the front porch enjoying it Just got my walk in
It was town morning here Got some goodies and bread at Bethanys I got honey bread today & CA double chocolate cookies & Me a blueberry scone So good

Maryz We are just the opposite in our weather Going from snow to Spring
Charleigh has Asthma & I guess that plays a role in her getting it so much
Brodee is doing good
They are busy getting ready to move
I went to LQS & The price of thread floored me I looked at bill when I got Home
Carole Glad all’s well at your place

Irish I too am glad the Eagle family is back together You are over crocheting like I am about knitting What are you making I wish I was a prolific crocheter I can do some but not like my knitting Of course I taught Lessons in knitting so it makes a difference

Tina I won’t comment on your recipes because that’s out of my league just for 1 person I have never made Mexican food
I know yours is delicious
Have a wonderful day We have leftovers
Becca

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:27 pm

Good afternoon from, not sunny and 66 degrees like Becca, but more like 26 and snowy and dreary...I made up my mind I was no shoveling, even to get the paper...I had made a little path yesterday and that was good enough...Poor Ruby is sitting out there, covered with snow and I know she thinks I've abandoned her...I really needed to get some cards in the mail and for a moment, thought about taking the car but it would have taken me longer to uncover it than to just walk through the yard...So, I surprised myself and walked....

Mary, I guess I don't have to put any snow in the mail for you...Someone must have really messed with Mother Nature for her to be acting like she is.....OK, have an idea but what are kitchen cookies? Hate to hear about the irons...I'm almost afraid to "brag" about how old mine is, maybe I just don't use it that much, lol.....Had to look, it's a Black & Decker and I probably didn't pay very much for it.....I'm crocheting a pink baby afghan for my sister's soon to be great grand daughter..Their last name is Murphy and they have 1 little girl named, Macie Mae, and this one will be named Marley but can't come up with a "M" middle name..I thought maybe Marie.....
Kathy got me registered for the vaccine at one of our local pharmacies...In talking to friends, more and more are finally being called, thank goodness....I called Kevin to tell him but he's still "too young" but he said, he'll wait his turn...He was then telling me about the neighbor hood shoveling gang...He said, he and a bunch of close neighbors meet with shovels and brooms and take care of drive ways and cars...He said, they shovel for 10 minutes and then stand around and talk for 5...He's watching Emma later today and said, she's a little terror when she and Kessie (the dog) get together...And it's no wonder she's so wired, she sleeps 10-12 hours every night and then takes a nap in the afternoon....No wonder Kevin is tired when she goes home, lol......

Becca, I'd think I was dreaming if it was 66 up here...I'm happy when we get sun, sure makes a big difference....Yum, blueberry scone...That would be my ideal breakfast.....
I do love to crochet and sometimes will sit and not realize how late it's gotten....Of course it's not an easy task keeping BabyGirl from trying to play with the yarn.......

Need to get moving...I have dough rising (I hope) and it should be ready to roll..If I can't have a blueberry scone, I'll have to make cinnamon rolls....Yesterday I made chicken ala king with my thawed out chicken so will be eating that again tonight...Some day, I'm going to learn to cut down my recipes...Jim always teased me about cooking for that army, now I'm cooking for 1/2 that army and still have too much.....

You all have a great rest of the day......Stay safe, be careful in the snow.....

Happy eating....................

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Good afternoon!

Ethan has been my helper today. I pre-sorted a whole bunch of Disney movies, checking for the ones I didn't have, then Ethan hauled that stack and helped me organize them in the closet shelf. I now have a donation pile as well. These all came from Kate's mom when she moved.

We are now making lunch, a egg salad in a pita pocket.

I have also been sewing the lighthouse quilt together. Other than that, not much else going on here.

Dinner will be pork chow mein.

Mary - yes, polenta is corn meal mush. But I cook mine in chicken stock, add butter and parmesan cheese. Doesn't taste like mush when I am done! Probably will add a Mexican cheese to make my tamales, with the red sauce I have. It's a Hatch Chili red sauce. I will make the sauce to hold the meat, more like a thick gravy, more sauce than meat.

Becca - oh so not fair at 66! One day we will be warm again. Mary's cold is heading my way. Your breads always sound so yummy!

Carole - good luck with the quilt show. I am slowly learning to use Zoom.

Irish - no garage for Ruby? Be safe in all that snow!

Well, time to assemble lunch for my termite,

Hugs,
Jana

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm running super late today. Barely sliding into my chair before bedtime here.
Mary, you could've made half of your meat with red and the other half green. I forgot to tell you they make them all kinds of different ways, even dessert tamales. I've only ever made the red so far. Mexican food in Texas is TexMex, it's frowned on here LOL
I crochet but I've lost some of my crochet hooks somewhere, I can't imagine that, I've always kept them in their little plastic case that they came in. I bought them when I was a teenager.
Becca, I'd love to be taught how to knit. One of my sister in laws tried to teach me one day, she lost patience, grabbed it out of my hand and did it..... that was the end of those lessons 🤷‍♀️
Starting Sunday we're supposed to have highs in the 30's LOL I'm hoping for snow! Send me some Irish, I dare ya ❤❤
Carol, how cool, a quilt show! Good idea for zoom.
The school board here decided tonight that all teachers go back the 1st because sp-ed teachers have to go back for their kids. No other kids will be at school but just the zoom will be done from school. Our county is still in the red/high level. We had 5 cases yesterday, at least 4 today of just staff at one of the schools 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️
We had breakfast for supper because I didn't want to cook LOL Frankie cleaned the kitchen for me. I put a roast in the fridge to start thawing for tomorrows supper.
Tina
Night.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:17 pm

Tina - you have my brain thinking about dessert tamales - wonder if you used ground up graham crackers, instead of masa, as a base, spread on the corn husk, filled with a thick cheesecake mixture, then steamed. Just replace the masa flour with graham crackers, but use everything else, oh, water instead of broth. It's midnight here, so I might not be making perfect sense!

Jana

Return to “Chit Chat”