Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Feb 9th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Feb 9th

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:49 am

Good morning.

We're chilly and going to get chillier this week with possibility of snow. Our first real winter weather. I'm looking forward to it! So cozy in our house with a fire burning.

Yesterday was laundry and grocery shopping. And a stop to pick up our mail. Nothing interesting there. I also spent some serious hours cutting the dark strips for my log cabin. Have a few more to cut today and then I can settle down to start sewing. Foxy is, as usual, supervising. I have to run my rotary cutter between his tail swishes. Tricky! In my head I keep hearing the words to a song my mom taught me when I was little: "Tom cat sat on the sewing machine, looking so fine and handsome - til he got ten stitches in his tail and believe me, folks, he ran some!" (sung to the tune of "It Ain't gonna rain no more, no more...")

TINA - thanks for the recipe. I got everything you said except I couldn't find red chili sauce. The closest I could come was red taco sauce. Our old Fred Meyer used to carry it but they dropped a lot of things when they built their new store. Maybe I'll try Safeway. The only pork roast I could find was a large loin, on sale. I'll remove all fatty parts, too. We do not like fat.

BECCA - I bet your towels are pretty. How many are you making? Are they for a gift, for you, or to have on hand for when you need a gift? How is your little DGGD?

LORI - I love goldens. We got to visit with one yesterday when we picked Scottie up from the groomers in the farm/garden store. Her name was Daisy and she was very pale colored, almost white. I think goldens are born with big smiles on their faces. I've told Bill our next dog will be a golden. I'd have one now but he doesn't want two dogs at the same time. :(

JANA - glad you have a rug for your LA. Now your feet will be much happier. Is everything else moved yet? I was wondering if Daniel was still planning to move to UT. Is he looking for something in a firehouse or with BLM or forestry department, or ??? I bet you can't wait! You and I can try making tamales together. I have plenty of ingredients. EVen corn husks! I'd be happy to share. I love polenta. Maybe I'd prefer that . . . .

I have a container of leftover stew in the freezer. I think I'll pull that out and let it start thawing. Then put it into the crockpot to warm slowly. Wouldn't dumplings be nice in it? I wish someone would make us dumplings. . .

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Feb 9th

Post by auntjana » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:30 am

Good morning!

Mary - Daniel is looking to stay in architecture. His friend, who had a large firm in California, who trained Daniel, moved here many years ago and has another firm up in Cache Valley. Daniel will see what is there. Daniel works for a company now that does mostly schools and hospitals, and that is the same as his friend's company here. Daniel loves fire fighting, but it doesn't pay what architecture does. He will miss fire calls. Although he is thinking moving here, he may stay and go full time fire in Sacramento Metro. He has many higher ups as friends there and could make very good money. But, I think he wants out of California. We will see. As to using polenta instead of masa, that is what I am trying. Spreading it on the corn husks and folding, just as Tina said.

Not much here. Spent part of the afternoon yesterday getting our cars all clean at the car wash, along with everyone else in Herriman! We had snow fall that had more dirt than snow. Caked everything with a thick layer of mud! Cars, sidewalks, streets, houses, everything! You could not see out the windows on the cars! Scraped off enough to see to drive. Then waited in line for about 30 minutes for each car. Michael tried to get the cars washed on Saturday, but the line stretched for more than three blocks. We have big blocks too! Cars are now clean. You can't rinse off using outside water faucet, as they are turned off for the winter, to keep the lines from freezing and breaking.

Dinner - baked chicken was punted from last night to tonight.

Stay Safe!
Hugs,
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:40 am

Hello everyone a cloudy day here
Got my laundry done & did some cleaning on places that are hard to get
Also cooked a pot of pintos
Maryz Im just doing the towels for handwork Will just hand them out No one in particular I just enjoy emboidery
Our little Charleigh is on the mend She has had it before

Jana That snow mess sounds like a real mess for sure You think of snow as cleansing not mud
Hope Daniel finds the perfect fit I can see why he would want out of CA
I will add cornbread to the beans
HADLEE has to go to Dr on Thursday about the cyst on her Heart Prayers are appreciated Thank you & Levi & Taylor thank you. Becca

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:38 am

Good early afternoon from another very, very snowy, cold, SW. Pa....Woke to another 4 inches of that white stuff and just heard, we will get more tomorrow....Mary, I'd gladly send you some of our snow....This morning, I couldn't see if our paper had been delivered so I didn't bother shoveling my way out...But, when I did go out the back door to take care of the birds, I really had to push the snow away to get out....One good thing, the birds can get under my back deck, so they do have some cover.....

Mary, as I said, how much do you want me to send???? I've really had enough but why am I complaining, I really don't have to go out (other than to make it to my mail box, which is through my yard and across the road)...All the Valentines I got for the kids and also 3 birthday cards are sitting on my desk, ready to go....Of course when I was out yesterday, you don't think I'd remember to mail them.....
You were asking about the eagles and happy to report, they are both back in the nest and being well taken care of....Harriet was a bit surprised when she landed on an upper branch and saw her babies in the nest...But didn't take long before the whole family was sharing a meal...
I'm with you on loving those goldens...This past summer we were with a lady who had a golden service dog and she was the sweetest fur baby I'd ever been around...We went to dinner and that dog laid at the end of the table and didn't make a sound...The gal explained, when she had her vest on, she knew she was working and is very, very close to her parent...But, when the vest comes off, she still watches her Mom but it's also play time.....Amazing how they can be trained or taught....

Becca, anyone receiving one of the towels will love it...Doing that type of handwork is good stress reliever and a great way to relax.....Saying prayers for your little ones....

Jana, As Becca said, you think of snow as a cleanser...Our cars get dirty when the snow melts and you're out on the roads picking up that messing salt...One year we were driving south, through salt covered roads and when we pulled in Hilton Head, our brown car was completely a dirty grey from the yucky salt....Sounds like Daniel has a few options and also has a good head on his shoulders so he'll be fine...I'd say, he had a good upbringing.....When you mentioned chicken, I decided, why not...Have some defrosting and just might make a small pot pie.....

Tina, when I hear you and Mary talking about those recipes, I'm totally lost....I don't think I've ever really had Mexican food (Kathy said, around here, it's all fake), so I need to come out west and get some real stuff.....

Today, I don't have to leave the house (maybe to walk to the mail, maybe)..The friend whose cats I was watching is on her way home so I'm "fired".....So, house is taken care of and fabric is pulled for more hot pads.....If I go for the mail, I'd have to shovel so I might think long and hard on that one.....
Last night, I was so engrossed in my crocheting, I forgot to eat but tonight, I'm going to make something with chicken...Just don't know what, yet.......

You all have a great rest of the day....Please stay safe!

Happy eating.................

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:45 am

Good morning!
I'll post the red enchilada sauce recipe and then I'll come back later.
Red enchilada sauce recipe
1 bag dried red Chile pods (I use the hottest for tamales because you lose heat in tamales)
Break stems off and empty as many seeds as you'd like in the trash.
Put pods in Dutch oven pot and fill just above tops of chiles with water. Cover pot and bring to boil, boil 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Scoop about 6 chilies into a blender and use about half cup of the Chile water from the pot in with the chiles, process till very fine and liquid. Then in a 2.5 quart saucepan have a fine screen type strainer, pour Chile into strainer over 2.5 quart saucepan and tap sides of strainer until all liquid is in pan, repeat until all chilies are used. You'll have leftover water in the Dutch oven, just throw that away. Put in a tiny bit of garlic powder and about 2 tablespoons of chicken bouillon powder and heat until bouillon is dissolved.
This can be what you use in any recipe that calls for red enchilada sauce. It freezes well, I make big batches and then freeze it into smaller batches.
Tina

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:42 am

In my pork roast I put 1 bay leaf not basil, sorry about that. I corrected it now.
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”