Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Sept 20th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Sept 20th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:49 am

Good morning!

We have a bit of misty moisture falling. And temps are now averaging in the 60's. Summer ended while we were gone on vacation, I think. OK by me. I always welcome fall! My sis and DBIL are still in Seattle, coming back this afternoon. We have their 3 cats who are out in their trailer. One gets insulin shots every 12 hrs, so that was my job. and feeding them. And snarfling them. One is a pretty tuxedo who was a stray with an injured eye. Sis took him to a vet who said, "We can just POP that EYE out". She opted for the wait and see approach but forever after that sweet kitty has been called "Popeye".

So, while on my own yesterday I got 5 loads of wash done, packed away most of my summer clothes, finished ironing and squaring up my 50 bird blocks, cleaned a little bit of my sewing room. We also finished cleaning the trailer and emptying it of anything we didn't want to go to a repair lot where they will probably keep it for 2 weeks or so. I didn't feel well last night (we all think Covid, right??) but this morning I'm just fine and plan to do a few uglies and then work on my Kimberbell Grand-baker's Christmas quilt. I have one block done and all the rest to go. Al & Tina will probably be home mid-afternoon.

JANA - glad Sarah and Joseph's medical/dental issues are looking good and they are worth keeping! So what is the name of the Nativity pattern you are using? We can look it up, maybe, and see what you are doing? Love Michael's Travel/Travail tip. NOT!!

TINA - our friends who live full-time in their 40' fifth-wheel bought a NM park pass that was good at all NM state parks for 2 months. They paid $200, I think, and then camped for free or for nominal fee. They thought this was an excellent deal and loved seeing so much of NM that year. How did your macaroons turn out? My mom used to make coconut macaroons for my brothers when they were in the Navy and send them to them. I loved them! Are you starting to cool down?

Tonite's supper is going to be ham and bean soup with cornbread. Going to get it in the crockpot in few minutes. I have thawed chicken, too, that needs to be cooked so tomorrow will be something chickeny.

What's on your menu?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Sept 20th

Post by gershwin64 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:21 am

Good morning!
Mary, I think you weren't feeling too well from all you did yesterday. The cookies were French macarons but I love macaroons too! I think macaroons are Dad's favorite because he loves coconut. Maria's favorite are the macarons, they are little sandwiched cookies with a cream cheese filling, you can also put a little jam in the very center with the cream cheese. I made tons for their wedding LOL
I sure hope your trailer roof isn't a big expense, probably will need a new skin on the roof?
Did Popeye get to keep his eye after all? I bet you're enjoying all those kitties ❤❤
Jana, I'm glad the kids are ok and meds will fix the little problems. I've heard of the macarons being difficult, thankfully it was after I made that huge batch for the wedding or I would've been freaked out! LOL I just watched them being made on Master Chef Jr one time and tried it and they turned out perfect, I thought if kids could do it so could I LOL. When I did them for the wedding the caterer asked me who made them and I told her me and she said only very skilled bakers could make them, she said she's never been able to master them 🤷‍♀️ I'm thinking maybe people over think it, I just follow the recipe and they turn out yummy and cute, a little crunchy on the outside and then the chewy soft inside 🤷‍♀️ I took Maria 25 and I think she ate about half right off the bat LOL. She's a skinny bean!
I have to look in the freezer to see what's for supper. I'm making another batch of macarons for Holly's house this morning.
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:09 am

Good morning!

Been playing in forum settings and figured out Diane's problem. Hope she sees the message over in Sew Ins. Also found where to change the time, but haven't succeeded at that one yet. One thing at a time! Michael always is telling me to poke around and learn to use a program. Drat if he isn't mostly right. Can't tell him he is right all the time!

Dinner will be our usual brunch and I have leftovers from dinner last night. Found a quick recipe for a copycat KFC gravy. It is tasty. Easy too. 2 1/4 c water - hot, dissolve 1 chicken bullion cube,, 1 beef bullion cube, in the hot water. In a sauce pan, make a roux, 4 tbls butter, 4 tbls flour, cook that and then add 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp pepper and the water mixture and cook until thick. Voile gravy. I added pre cooked shredded chicken and served it over rice. A quick meal.

I will post a picture of my Nativity. It is done, binding is all I need to do now. It is a Nancy Halvorsen, Art to Heart pattern. It is called - Joy to the World. I did the big one, with the Wisemen, angels, shepherd and animals, and the manger scene. It was started in California, 9 years ago, put away as we moved, brought out here, lost here, found here and finally finished. I .ike her books and patterns and need to see what she has new. I have most of the books already. Good thing to do when Church is over.

I will be teaching my Relief Society Sunday lesson again, over Zoom. Yikes! I don't even know how to use Zoom, let alone teach a class with it. But Sarah does! Matt does! Scott does! Sandee does! And Joseph does! They all do PowerPoint as well. They will help, under penalty if they don't! They have already said they would. This class is only once a month and my lesson is about 45 minutes long. Oh the things I can get into. I can pick a background that appears with me, I hope there is a quilt shop, full of fabric! I may set up my own in the Batt Cave, with my own quilts. Now teaching quilting doesn't scare me, teaching church does!

Well, time to get dressed for church - the only time you see me in a dress anymore.

Hugs,
Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:26 am

TINA, I was wondering if those were the cookies you were making. Congrat I've seen them made on Master Chef and also at Costco. Not what my mom made which were mounds of coconut mixture, baked until dried, I think. I'm a big coconut fan.

JANA - is your wall hanging the one with the shepherds/sheep in bottom right, wisemen left right, and Holy Family across the top? I love it! I have a couple Art to Heart books, but not that one.

Have my beans in the crockpot, my chicken cooked and shredded for green chili chix enchiladas for tomorrow, my kitchen cleaned up THREE times, and will be putting binding on my second plaid swap quilt as soon as Bill finishes his last pass of quilting. Yay!! Binding and label are waiting and ready to go! These two quilts go back to CO with my sis. They are for their son-in-law and grandson who are both law enforcement officers. I made tiny thin blue line flags for the labels and used my machine to embroider their names in the white stripes on the 'flags'. I feel our law enforcement community needs all the back-up they can get. And this is my way . . .

Now off to my sewing room!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:29 am

Yes, it is the one you described.

Return to “Chit Chat”