Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wed., June 24th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wed., June 24th

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:41 am

Good morning,

I never got any yard work done yesterday. After my long morning walk, it was too warm and I was too lazy. So I finished my Halloween table topper. Love how it turned out! I'm thinking of making a few more before I forget how to paper piece again! :lol: Bill had to drive our friend, Tex, back to Oregon to pick up his pick-up so he was gone nearly all day. On the way home through Tacoma he dropped my Bernie off for a spa treatment. Not sure how long they will keep it, but because of Covid, they had our vacuum since February and he was able to pick that up while there . . . Crossing fingers.

Albert is still in the hospital and is celebrating his 84th birthday today. He has much to celebrate as his best friend, Danny, who lives in eastern WA, fell yesterday (on HIS 81st birthday!), hit his head, and had to be airlifted to Seattle trauma hospital and have surgery late last night for two blood clots in his brain. It was touch and go, but he's looking good this morning! Can't wait to let Albert know. Danny fell because his new heart med dropped his BP and left him dizzy.

Today - maybe some more yardwork. Trying to find some extra energy. Habitat for Humanity is coming to pick up our old couch and recliner so we need to stick around home - though come to think of it, that's what we do pretty much every day of the week! :lol:

IRISH - you and Baby Girl really do live the life of Riley, don't you! A camp weekend sounds like a purrfect getaway. I haven't fished since I was a little girl and my dad took my stream fishing in the rivers I mentioned a few days ago near where Becca's DGS lives. And his philosophy was that if you catch it, you clean it. And you eat it. Even if you are 6 yrs old. After a few years of that, I gave up the sport!!

BECCA - have fun today with Denise and Mark! Could you send them out my way, please? I could sure use a visit from them . . . .

CHICKIE - your decorating skills are beyond excellent! You could give lessons for sure! Sorry you didn't get your hoped-for rain. Sounds like you did all you could do . . .

TINA - my weather app tells me you are going to be hot again today. But "cooling off" next week to 93. I guess that's good news. and bad news. It's still going to be above 90.

JANA - What is the new grocery store near you that you were so happy to see open up? Is it a chain that might be up here, too? Hope you can get your machine cleaned. I know our place just started taking machines again and there is a list to get on and they call you. But since Bill was going through Tacoma and stopping in to get the vac anyway, he took my machine along and they accepted it. Now when they'll actually clean it is anyone's guess . . . . Hope your DSIL does OK with the colonoscopy . . .

ROSEBUD - I think you work in the best department of all at H.D. I hope everyone wears masks. Because of the rise in cases, they are now required in our state whenever you are out of your own home. When I still worked I had no energy for anything else by the time I got home. Not even much sewing!

LORI - yes, indeed, you are a trend-setter! lol! I always like the things you do. How is Dad fitting into your home and lives? Is he able to do for himself.

I think our supper tonite will be some kind of chicken. Probably on the grill. And salad and maybe green beans. We got our new element for the oven and now it just needs to be put in. Hopefully that will happen today. I want to get berries and make jam for us and for Christmas gifts but that means I also have to go to the store to get pectin and sugar. Not sure when I'll do that . . . I have to work up my courage to go to any store.

What's happening in your kitchen tonite?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wed., June 24th

Post by auntjana » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:17 am

Good HOT morning!

Our temps today are climbing, already at 85 at 8:30 in the morning!

So today will be ignoring a few uglies - good at that - and hiding in the cool Batt Cave. I found a new project quilt I want - It is called a Escher Quilt. Saw it on, where else, Pinterest. There is a shop in the midwest, somewhere that was offering a class for beginner's. I will try to contact them and offer to pay the class fee and get the pattern mailed to me. Pattern was included in the class fee - $40. It uses a 60° triangle ruler to make the block. I think I could say, I am past a beginner quilter, maybe..... The challenge will be to find the right fabrics to create the optical illusion , that makes this quilt so intriguing. Hope I can get the pattern!

Mary - the new grocery store is Winco. It does have stores all over the nation. It is a employee owned store. It carries the brands I like and am use to. I am a brand name snob, so my kids tell me. The fresh fruit and veggies they carry are the quality like I had in California. And the prices are cheap! It is just across the street, a bit, from Aaron's house. He can walk to it. So now, I don't need to run all over the valley to get my groceries. Now, if Trader Joe's would open a store here, heaven would be perfect, right here in Herriman!

Not much more here. Ethan is stir crazy already and driving his mom nuts. Only two more days and he will be back to riding his bike here. Well, if it is early enough, that he won't melt on his way.

Dinner - chicken and a salad or chicken in the salad - we will see.

Stay safe! Stay cool!

Hugs,
Jana

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:28 am

Good morning! It’s sunny and warm with no rain in sight. Covid ate breakfast yesterday morning and left for the day. He didn’t come home last night, but this morning he was outside the kitchen window hollering for me to bring him breakfast and get it out there on the double! I haven’t checked, but I think he may be sticking around under the back deck for me to bring him lunch later. The cows weren’t up here by the house this morning, so I think his empty tummy made him find his way home by himself from one of the back pastures.

Thank you, Mary, for posting the pictures for me. And, thank you all for looking and commenting!!! I started decorating cakes and cookies in earnest when I was a single mom making minimum wage and needing a second income without paying a babysitter. I’m self taught from the old Wilton catalogs and Maid of Scandinavia magazine. My DDIL sent a picture of the empty cookie box yesterday and said the cookies didn’t make it to the car to take to Michigan. Too funny! I will start making them more often.

Mary—love your Halloween topper, and I plan to do some for Christmas gifts! It’s going to be time to get started as soon as I finish my DD’s birthday present that I plan to start today. It will be one of the 3 yard quilts using Marines fabrics. I also have some pieces of Marines fleece to bind for throws for DD and DGD.

Happy birthday to Albert! Good news about his friend, but so sad it was a birthday accident.

Tina—we are on the rise here with temps, too. Yesterday was nice for upper 80s, but it’s going to get hotter each day.

MaryRosebud—love that you get to work in the garden department! I’m sure watering is a full time job, too. I need to water my porch plants as soon as I’m finished typing here. I should pull hoses and water other areas—maybe this evening.

Jana—We could sure use a good grocery chain in town! I would love to see IGA come back. The population in town is almost 50% less than what it was when I was in high school there, so everything is gone but Walmart. They seem to be good about moving in and clearing out all the other businesses. I love those Escher quilts! Looking forward to yours! I keep wondering if I could do one without templates or patterns--are you drafting yours?

Lori—I need to go back and find your topper.

Irish—Sounds like you will be having fun! Baby Girl is lucky to get to go along for the adventure—so cute!

Becca—enjoy your visit!

DH just called and said he is on his way home from town—his way of saying “have brunch ready!” He had a kidney ultrasound this morning, and tomorrow he has an appointment with his doctor—just a check up.

Dinner here tonight—burger for DH and probably a salad for me. Nothing too exciting. The fajitas last evening were delicious.

Bon appétit!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 am

Just had a good chuckle - the noon news here, on their weather forecast, gave the "car wash" forecast - the good days this week to wash your car! Definitely a slow news a - a good thing!

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:15 am

Good afternoon from a warm, slightly over cast SW. PA......Just not sure if we'll get rain or just look like it.....But, last night, we had rain so no watering.....

There are times when I think I'm cracking up, of course most of the time, I know so but I know I wrote and posted yesterday but where it ended, who knows.........

From yesterday, Chickie, I loved, loved your cake and cookies decorating....I was wondering if you had done it professionally...Your work is great! Years ago, Kathy did some decorating, using the Wilton book and she might have gone to a class or 2...But, we used to laugh, when she decorated, everything would be covered with powdered sugar and I do mean everything....Her cakes were very pretty but the cleaning up took forever...

Mary, and also, thank you for posting Chickie's pictures....If I ever get married or have another baby, I'll have her do my cakes....
Have been wondering about your brother and praying he's coming along...So sorry to hear about his friend...The same thing almost happened to a friend of mine...She said, doc put her on her BP meds, she got dizzy and caught herself before she hit the deck.....I'll tell you, once you reach 39, you just never know...............
Yes Baby Girl and I do have a good life, a very good life....We both enjoy lots of quality recliner sitting...I was going to try to take her this weekend but it might be too much for her (too many different sights and people), so Kevin said, he'll make sure she's taken care of...The whole bunch is also going back to camp for a longer stay the next weekend but I'm not going...I think maybe I can talk a couple neighbors into just having a burger..We're all old and we don't need too much excitement, lol....

Jana, Kathy found the skunk train...They were bike riding, visited the light house and then taking the train...I didn't talk to her last night so I'm anxious to hear all about it.....I really think, between you and Mary, you 2 could make up quite a tour for me....You'd have me busy for weeks (which would be OK)......Just seeing the pictures Kathy is taking, we really, really have a beautiful country......And I'm so glad she's finally able to enjoy seeing it and enjoy her life......
You seem to always be making something new. Have you ever stuffed, cooked, large shells with Stove top stuffing and then covered them with Cream of Chicken soup and baked? I thought my sister was goofy when shetold me how good it was but it really is....And so easy......

My yard guys came bright and early this morning to work on the yard and it's really coming along...The problem, my guys live a good hour away and can only get over this way between jobs but it's getting done...Today, we ran out of mulch so, later today or maybe tomorrow, I'll head for Lowes or Home Depot and see how many bags I can get in the car.....
I did get a call from the lunch gals and we're going to get together tomorrow at a place that has outside sitting (hopefully it won't rain).....In our state, most places still require a mask (which is good) and lots of places now have outside sitting, which is also good......Still don't like to be in crowds and really watch who I meet up with.......

As for dinner, I'm thinking about that chicken ala king that didn't get done yesterday...Need to clean out the fridge.........

You all have a great rest of the day....

Happy eating...................

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:33 am

Mary, Happy birthday to the boys. Hope they get to chat today. I love your Halloween houses. It came out really cute.

Irish, what are you having done to your yard?

Jana, funny the car wash forecast. I remember the 1st time I drove up to Utah in January. I had my car detailed before I drove up, so when I got there it was still really clean. I didn't encounter any rain or snow along the way. As I saw other cars, they were filthy. I said to my son, doesn't anyone wash their cars up here? He replied, it's been snowing for 2 weeks. This is the 1st nice day we have had all month. Coming from SoCal you don't know these things. lol

Chickie, how long will you feed Covid? He definitely knows where to find mama.

Well I didn't have to cook last night. It was Shane's birthday so we went over and had tacos with them.
It was a last minute thing. They were quite delicious.

I finished up my Bowtie quilt Monday. So now I'm going to quilt the swap quilt Vinae did last. It was a plaid outdoor quilt. It's ready to go. So I just need to find the time today.

I haven't decided what we are doing for dinner yet. Maybe chicken enchiladas and Spanish rice. Maybe.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Mary and Chickie, during spring and summer watering season I am in heaven. Although, if a customer asks me to help them, I do, unless I can find someone else to take over for me. Right now with the heat, watering is the best place to be...

Supper...I needed to pick up a couple prescriptions after work, and didn't make it to the grocery store. When I got home I pulled a hot dog out of the freezer and fixed that for tonight.

Mary/Rosebud

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Hello everyone busy productive day here Our place looks nice now Mark already has his next projects for next trip laid out lol
They went to Bethany’s bakery for bread & ricaotta Maryz Happy birthday to Albert & friend Pray they both can be healed

Irish Glad you & Sister can be close And happy you love your place

Rosebud You have the job I would want but I may be temped to bring home lots of plants

Lori Sure hope you are all adjusting to your new living arrangements

Chickie Your talents are incredible So professional

Jana Sure Ethan misses seeing you both

We have had another great day They leave tomorrow Always dread seeing them
Leave But grateful for their visit We had grilled burgers & all the trimmings. Becca

Return to “Chit Chat”