Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, April 27th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, April 27th

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:57 am

Good morning,

Supposed to be a windy, rainy day today, but so far, the birds are giving their morning concert their all. It's my brother, Jim's 82nd birthday. I miss him so much as he was part of my everyday life. Despite the daily misery he lived in, he was always sweet and cheerful. A good example to his little sister.

Yesterday I made and delivered another batch of masks for the employees of my neighbor's landscaping business. They were over the top grateful. And I was happy, happy to do it for them. Then I worked on my crazy blocks. I have all I've made so far sewn together. We have a high king bed and I want this quilt to drape down to the sideboards of the frame, hiding the springs and mattress. So I need it to be 22 blocks wide. I re-measured yesterday and it only needs to be 20 blocks long so now my final count will be 440 blocks. So only 320 to go! Almost there! :lol: And I just found another quilt in a magazine I want to make in a - also scrappy, but not crazy! It uses 4-1/2" hst's and 2-1/2" squares and I have a small tote full of those. I'd love to find a good use for those. This is 8" blocks, kind of like Jacob's ladder. Just the HST's alternating with 4-1/2" 4P's.

Our new fridge comes this morning! Hooray! The old fridge is still chugging along, barely, though the freezer compartment is kaput. When I finish typing this I'll start removing all my magnets, pictures, cartoons, grocery lists, etc. As well as take all the food downstairs to the garage fridge for the day. Yesterday we nailed composition roofing tiles to the back deck stairs so no one will slip if the steps are wet. Now I feel better.

TINA - I'm almost 70 and I haven't had a bored day yet! Maybe when I get old . . . :lol: Sounds like you have been overdoing things, especially with this heat. Perhaps you should consider resting more with your legs up. Mosquitoes do like sweet stuff! Not to mention you have a big pond in your back yard . . . We've tried those vibration repellent thingies and they work to a degree. I hate putting chemicals on my skin, but sometimes we have to - like when we are in Minnesota or Yukon! Worst places ever for mosquitoes!

BECCA - I hope your search for a new doc today goes well and you sign on with the right one. Will you stay in the same clinic or have to move to a new doctor's office?

JANA - you are an assistant of all trades! You should come and help Bill with his garage cleaning. He has plenty of room for everything (not to mention an additional 24x36 foot shop!), but his idea of cleaning is to shove everything further to the wall. And woe to me if I suggest perhaps truly cleaning it. But I'm sure he'd be happy to take suggestions from someone who isn't his wife. . . :roll: Love the chicken story! lol! It needs to go in the book.

CAROL - glad you got those guild duties completed so you can enjoy your weeds! I think you got the April rains that were supposed to come to us. Until now, we had an unusually dry month.

LORI - have to say, your baby duck story rivals Jana's chicken story! lol! You are too hot for me. I would be a melted puddle on the ground. Hey! I wonder if heat like that would melt fat cells . . . . :idea: Maybe I should make a visit . . .

ROSEBUD - does your son live with you? How old is he? And he cooks?? That would be nice!

IRISH - Seems you manage to keep pretty busy yourself! Painting tables! I love that Kevin found something to go with his new mask! lol!! Bummer about your machine. I think making these masks is hard on them. I finally had to switch to a jeans needle as I kept breaking my regular needles. And if the technicians were working at the sew'n'vac I would be taking my machine in to be cleaned. But I'm not about to leave it there indefinitely. They already have our vacuum that we dropped off for repairs last February.

Our supper is finally going to be spaghetti and meatballs tonite. Unless Bill changes my mind. Again. And he does reserve the right to do that. lol

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Monday, April 27th

Post by Becca » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:06 am

Good morning everyone sunny here after a cold night
Denise called checking on us She wants to come visit so much But she will wait She wanted to make sure we had food & she told me about their night of the storms They spent 2 hrs in their bathroom floor One cell touched down inCharlotte She said they hadquarter size hail but some had egg size Lots of wind & rain
She said they were going to Lowe’s for supplies to fix foundation

In regards to anew Dr I got on phone Had the group here I wanted but during this time no new patients So I just made appt with New PA for now until things change
I may like her I don’t know

Jana I couldn’t talk to our NP that is leaving unless I made appt & I don’t want to do that I loved the chicken story

Carol Glad you can get back to your weeds lol

Lori I’m amazed you cook I would probably eat salads every day

Rosebud I didn’t know you had a son living with you Great he cooks

Irish You seem to be settled & keeping busy even with our stay at home order

I am cooking a pot of pinto beans today will add cornbread Hope everyone has a wonderful day Our birds are singing too &
I love them And the hummers are bust at Feeder. Becca

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:15 am

Good morning Mary Z. and Becca. Yes, my son lives with me. Back when Randy was sick (before passing away) Charlie was going to move out to Texas to see if he could get work in computer programming. He stopped here to help me for a couple months before moving on. When it was apparent that Randy was not going to recover, I asked Charlie if he would stay to help me through all the things I didn't know if I would be able to deal with. He agreed, and is still here. He will be 43 on the 30th.

I need to see what the freezer holds that appeals to the taste buds for tonight.

Mary/Rosebud

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:56 am

Good morning!

Beautiful day here. Michael has a work call first, then back out to the garage to work. No more Aaron stories, so far today. Not only did he deal with a chicken, he had a tanker truck roll over with a load of flammable butane yesterday. No fire, just shut down Parleys Summitt, by Park City. Somehow, Aaron has a sixth sense and with all the amount of roadway he covers, he is always near by where he is needed. With the truck rollover, he was helping another change a tire, less than 5 minutes from the accident. People were slightly annoyed yesterday and asked Aaron why the road was closed, that annoyance was short lived, when he told them the truck was carrying butane. They smiled and told him, we will go the other way.

Dinner - raviolas and sauce. Salad too.

Mary - by now you are enjoying the new refrig! You will find that you will enjoy the water on the door. Less opening to get a cold drink, keeps the electric bill down. We noticed that when we got that feature with kids in the house.

Becca - you will find just the right Dr. You are patient!

MaryRose - so nice to have your son with you. He is my Matt's age.

Well, a few uglies need attention and a few masks need to be made.

Sarah's FIL is not doing well. The Dr got the heart problem under control, but while in the hospital, FIL caught the virus. MIL tested negative. The hospital, knowing he was infected sent him home anyway, telling MIL to monitor his vitals. UGGGH! Then last night his temp started to rise. Of anyone with underlying conditions, this is one! His polio caused his lungs not to work normally for 70 years. So now, we will have two infected with this virus and no one to help.

Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 am

Mary, new fridge day....Yay! Nice clean fridge to put stuff in. Sounds like Jim was a great brother. You're on a roll....you should have the quilt together soon It was so nice of Jana to suggest it for you. lol

Jana, that sounds a bit stupid to send someone home from the hospital with the virus to infect others.
Especially because of his condition.

Becca, I like good food, and I love to cook it. I was thinking about making some homemade noodles later this week. We shall see if that pans out. I get busy with other things sometimes and run out of time.

Rosebud Mary, glad you have someone with you.

Well the boys have been walked and are resting. It's a beautiful morning, so I'm sitting on the patio with the laptop. I had a request for some masks yesterday, so I cut out a couple dozen and I'll sew them today.

For dinner it's Grilled chicken with sliced potatoes and onions on the grill as well. I'll make some zucchini and sauteed mushrooms to go with it.
Easy clean up.

Have a lovely day
Lori 8-)

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 am

Good afternoon! The prodigal has returned. After all the mask and scrub cap sewing, I can finally lift my head above the surface of the sea of fabric, clean up the mess in my sewing room a bit, catch my breath and wait for the next onslaught. I made over 50 of the scrub caps and a ton of masks.

And, I have Covid to care for. He’s one of a pair of twins that the mom cow totally forgot after she had the second calf. He’s in a pen in the yard, and I bottle feed him morning, afternoon and night. I’m dealing with loose poop (scours), but he still seems to be thriving. I’ve let him out of the pen a few times to romp in the yard, and he is a hoot! One time he was tearing about, kicking up his heels and just seemed to be enjoying life. He saw the cattle guard to the pasture and sailed across it like he had wings on his hoofs. After romping about, checking it all out, he finally must have decided he was ready for his bottle, and I lured him with his bottle through the gate, through the yard and back in his pen where he sucked down his afternoon ration and settled down for a nap.

We had our third set of twins last week. DH had never had a cow with twins until a few years ago, and we occasionally had one set (Pocket Lint is a twin). This year we have had three sets! The last set seems to be doing well, and I’ll go check on them again pretty soon. We had a big cow give birth, and the little calf couldn’t seem to “get” where she was supposed to find her milk fountain. She was getting real week, and we were concerned. Fortunately, the old cow is very gentle—one that I’ve kinda made a pet of—and we were able to get the calf. DH held it while I fed it a bottle. While I was holding the bottle, I was talking to the cow, #12, and telling her what a good girl she was and giving her pets. I gave the little calf about half a bottle, then we let it go. It went straight to mama and latched on the right place. I guess all it needed was a little lesson from her human mama.

We are overcast here, and thunder is in the air, but the Weather Channel says no chance of rain. I’m thinking it must be liquid sunshine on the way.

Mary—you are busy, busy, busy with that quilt, and it will be big!!! Only 320 MORE blocks to go!!! I love scrappy!!! Yay for your new fridge!

I have to agree with you and Tina—I am NEVER bored! I honestly can’t think of a time that I’ve ever been bored. We have mosquitoes here almost year around. It’s getting to be the same with ticks. If a day goes by that we don’t have ticks, it’s a surprise. It’s surprising with the pond behind the house that we don’t have more mosquitoes, but we have fish, turtles and frogs in the pond to keep them down.

DH has been working and making a shed for his ATV so he doesn’t have to keep it in the shop. AND, he is also making a little loafing shed for Covid. It will be nice to have a place to keep his feed tray out of the rain!

I need to get busy here again. I wanted to check in and let you know I’m still on the planet. We are all well and keeping busy here. Dinner tonight will either be pizza or hamburger… my favorite things to make—leftovers!

Bon appétit!

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:28 pm

Hi Everyone!
I have lots of weeds in the yard to pull. I will spend some time out there later today. The boysenberries are blooming and we have lots of unripe berries already.

I had an eye appointment this morning to check my eye pressure (glaucoma) and it is fine. The office told me to call when I got to the parking lot and they would let me know if a room was open. They told me to come up right away, turned out the two appointments before me hadn't shown up. When they called one of them he was in the parking lot waiting. I got in first and was in and out very quickly. The Doctor made the next appointment, because there is only one woman working at the front desk.

Tonight's dinner will be Fast Hash made with Ore-Ida O'Brien Potatoes and ground turkey. We will have Green Beans with it.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:15 pm

My new/used cookbooks finally arrived. Was so excited to leaf through them. As I started the second book, something seemed wrong. The first 46 pages were missing! Both books were listed as very good condition. NOT! So I have already filled out the return complaint form with Amazon. It's accepted and ready to be returned. Boy, some sellers have no honesty! If Amazon asks me to rate this seller, boy will I!

A bit peved,
Jana

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:13 pm

Hi everyone! Sliding into my chair later again!
Yay Mary, fridge day!!
Thank you for suggesting the little electric fridge, they are tons cheaper!
LOL sweet things, you made me smile, thank you. Our pond has mosquito fish in it along with the fish and turtles, but the mosquito fish eat mosquitoes and their larva... if only they could fly around the yard and eat them LOL
Jana, that's a bummer about the cookbook.
Chickie, hi girlfriend! I love your baby cow stories, so cute.
MaryRose, I'm glad you have your son with you. I think Dad being alone so much is causing him some problems to be honest.
Becca, we have quite a few hummers, I love to watch them!
Lori, I love cooking too, I always have 😊
Carol, glad you were able to get your eyes checked.
We went to Dad's for about 5 hours today, he needed his swamp cooler going, he got sick from it getting too hot yesterday so Frankie to the rescue and he repaired and replaced and got it all cleaned up and running. When I told him Dad needed us to go get pads for the cooler I told him that Dad didn't ask but I asked if Frankie could get it running for him, he said he might as well because he was doing every one else's in the county LOL he did ours yesterday and fixed Holly's AC unit with a $1 fuse LOL it took him hours to find that fuse.... they hid it well. I sure hope they don't have any problems this year with it, it's old.
Holly's yard looks soooooo pretty, I really love it and it had really helped cool the front of her house down which in turn helps cool the inside.
I haven't been feeling very good with the rising temperatures so supper tonight was a potato for me and Frankie had leftover red chile meat burrito.
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”