Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Feb 27

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Feb 27

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:08 am

Good morning,

Another owl, another early morning. Sigh. Good thing I go to bed early!

Yesterday was all shopping. We left home at 9:45 and by the time we did all the shopping, carrying, packaging for the freezer, putting everything away, then prepping supper (which was grilled burgers and salad) I didn't sit down until after 4pm. Whew! But I think we're good for a while now. Today is clean the garage, move some shelving, and pack some of our overflow supplies on the shelf. Good thing it's going to be 55* and sunny today.

JANA - I don't think Bill enjoys doing the taxes, but he'd rather do them than have me do them. So I win! :D You mentioned a Toyota RAV the other day. It's on our go-look-at list, too. Our kids bought one about 3 yrs ago and it seemed small but then the Camry seemed small when we got it. But for now, we're not even seriously looking yet. We love not making car payments and want to love that as long as possible!
The Camry is still going strong. How is Stu doing in his new place and his new job, with his new car?

TINA - I bet you were tired the other day! Have you thought about making a few meals ahead of time for your dad to freeze and reheat on days you are busy or not feeling well? That's one thing, after Mom died Daddy sort of bloomed in the kitchen. He seeemed to enjoy cooking for himself. It was mostly fried sausages and potatoes and jicama, I think, but it gave him something to talk about and something to have control over. He'd never cooked in his life before. It wasn't the healthiest diet, but at his age, he was allowed to eat what he wanted to eat. Now my oldest brother, age 85 in March, is learning to cook for him and his wife. An adventure for sure! Those boxes for your deep shelves that I was talking about yesterday - I used boxes from Costco that already have the fronts cut out. Works slick as snot! I use them back in the blind corner of my lower kitchen cupboards, too, and in the pantry shelves in the trailer to keep things corraled and not "shift in flight".

BECCA - brrrr!! That was a fast temp drop! Guess you might not be walking for a few days! Glad your eyes are good. No cataracts? Most people over 50 have them but it takes years before they interfere with vision and have to be removed. Though my DD had them about age 42. Praying for Hadlee. You say she goes back to dr again in about 2 weeks?

CHICKIE - I feel for any babies getting born out in that wet and muddy pasture! Hope they hold off and stay where it's nice and warm a while longer. A tax snafu! One of the worst kinds of snafus! We are still getting documents so We are in no rush to complete our taxes. Something always comes late. Hope you get into the sewing room today. Maybe I'll make that chicken tortilla soup next time I cook.

IRISH - I think I saw on FB that you flew home yesterday or today . . . . Sorry you had to leave the warm and sunny seashore, but just think of the fun awaiting you at home! Lovely, exciting chaos! New adventures! Kathy!

Tonite for supper we are going to Silverdale - 30 miles north of us - to meet our two grandsons, Drew & Alec, at an Italian restaurant called Veneto's. We haven't seen them since before Christmas so I'm excited to catch up on their lives. And just as excited to not be cooking! And tomorrow we're doing Happy hour With Gus & Claudia and Tex & Annette at the Mexican restaurant. I don't have to cook until Saturday!

What's your supper story
?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Feb 27

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:39 am

Good morning! We are at 21°! It is cold!!!!!
Mary, not cooking till Saturday sounds like a great plan to me, have fun!
Dad is a great cook, a messy one but great LOL he's wobbly and he thinks he needs 3 big meals a day when he cooks. I give him small portions, Tracy and John must think he's pregnant and eating for twins or triplets or something, he considers it a challenge to eat everything on his plate.... well he was raised to clean his plate so it's kind of ingrained in him. His Dr wants him to lose at least 30 pounds, I'm trying to help with lots of veggies and small portions of meat. I like cooking for him, plus I clean up a little as he eats and I visit with him ❤❤
I'm going to bake chicken breasts and lots of veggies for supper, not sure if I'm delivery to Dad tonight or if he's driving over yet.
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:07 am

Good morning!

Up, as the sun is shining brightly through my bedroim window. But, still under a snuggly warm quilt, it is cold still!

Not much here. Class tonight, so we will grab something after. I do know tomorrow's dinner. I will attempt to make creamy risotto with pink pond fruit. I have everything I need, so will see how it comes out. Just have to remember to add cooking time because of the altitude. It does make a difference.

Mary - Stu is doung fine at work and with the car and roommates. Amazon is building a huge warehouse, not far from us. It is for the big things - furniture, appliances, etc. Stu would love to get transfered over there, when it opens. All things in the new warehouse wil be handled by forklifts. What fun to catch up with the doings of your grandsons. Good company and good food.

Tina - you are just colder than me.

Not much to do around here. My uglies are caught up, so after breakfast, will head down to play in the Batt Cave.

Enjoy,
Jana

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:44 am

Good morning! I think Jana’s weather is making its way east! We are going for the upper 40s today! It’s overcast and windy, but I’ll certainly take it!

Yesterday the Hooligans and I took a chilly walk to see Ava and walk her. Brrrr! She wore her little red coat with the fur lining. What a cutie! When we came home, I headed for my sewing room and pulled fabrics. I was a tiny bit short for what was called for on the front background fabric, and I didn’t have enough for the backing… so… “Road trip!!!” The hooligans and I went to Edna to the LQS. I got my fabrics for the quilt and coordinating bibs, some Civil War fabric for MaryQ’s swap, and some new farm fabric that I’ll use at Christmastime. It was a good trip! I took my #2 baby ensemble for show and tell, since I had purchased all the fabrics there at Christmas. I got to show it to Sharon, the owner, and some customers who took pictures. It was a fun afternoon. When I came home, we had a late lunch, then I worked on crochet for the #2 afghan.

Today I will start cutting out the Fancy Forest quilt! Well, that is, after we walk Ava!

The CPA’s office called, and we go again tomorrow to check our taxes. Hopefully no more forms will be coming! In previous lives I did our taxes since I’d worked for a CPA and did taxes for several years. Now, we have farm, rentals and retirmement. I’ll let the CPA do them and take my retirement from tax returns. The tax laws have changed so much. One year I did them on Turbo Tax. That was the year before the fire. I couldn’t remember the password for TT, so had to resurrect everything with the help of the CPA, and I never went back to doing them myself. I’d rather be sewing!!!

Mary—I thought all the tax documents were supposed to be here by January 31, but apparently that’s not the case now. When I worked for the CPA, farmers (full time farmers) were required to file their taxes by February 15 rather than the April 15 deadline. I’m hoping no calves are born until the pastures dry out.

Tina—that’s really something that your dad cooks! So many guys do not. I doubt DH knows how to turn on the stove here. He seldom uses the microwave. He does know where the fridge door is, although even when food is in clear containers and labeled for him with instructions on heating… sigh! I, too, was raised to not waste any food. It’s hard when it’s ingrained in your brain for so many years not to want to eat everything on your plate.

Jana—did you finish your tissue holders? Were some for your class? I can’t remember—are you teaching the class? I’ve never tried to make risotto, unless I made it and didn’t know what it was called. Sometimes I’ll make something I had not knowing what the name of it was.

Irish—you’re back? Welcome home! Know you had a great time. Hope it wasn’t climate shock when you got off the plane!

Becca—There are days I really have to motivate myself to walk in the cold and wind. I’ll pull on two pair of jeans and wear two hats and two pair of gloves along with a fleece shirt under my jacket or coat and wrap a scarf around my face on the really bad days. I just don’t walk in cold rain and wind!!!

Yesterday I made the tortilla soup and the chocolate no bake cookies. I don’t have to cook for a week! The soup is delicious, and the chocolates are deep rich and dark creamy chocolate. They are almost like eating truffles or fudge. I’ve already had one this morning—reward for my work out! HA!

Bon appétit!

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:49 am

Hello everyone sunny here but cold Will be no walking today The wind yesterday didn’t help me

Maryz glad you are getting a break from stove Enjoy your DGSs & good food too
I had cataract surgery years ago on both eyes & surgery for macular pucker but now they are doing great So grateful because I read z& sew & do lots to f handwork
Our little babies are both growing but don’t know if they sleep thru yet or not

Chickie Do hope the baby calves hold off until drier & more favorable weather
Sure that was a fun stop at shop plus show n tell is fun

Tina Good that your Dad can cook My Dad was a good cook C.A. used to before he got disabled And my FIL course cook also

Jana Wish my uglies were done It’s been another running week here Hair cut this morning But uglies are going to be done now Laundry is going as I write

Marty come early & left to go roof a house
He will be here tonight
We have Potatoes left & will add burger for CA I’m having Sautéed kale He has goodies Marty brought Becca

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:51 pm

Good late afternoon from cold, snowy, cold, wintery, cold, SW. Pa...Did I mention that it's cold???? Yep, I'm home, they dragged me from the plane, kicking and screaming and then left me in cold, rainy Pgh. yesterday afternoon.....But, it was to rain and get chilly in Florida but nothing like we're having.....My 10 days in the sun was wonderful, absolutely wonderful but my Baby Girl needed me back home...She hasn't left my side and wants me to cuddle with her every chance she/I get......
But, my big news, I had my closing this morning and am ready to start taking up some of the boxes Kathy had packed....It really is exciting and the realtor (who will be stopping in today) told me, we have 4 showings in the next 2 days...One wants to see the house before we get any other offers......My brain is not able to fully grasp what's happening, lol....

I'm not going to be able to chat but during the night, while everyone else in the world was sleeping, I was trying to catch up on all of you.....You gals have all been busy and looks like you've all stayed out of trouble...I will try to get back into the groove but not sure if I'll ever get back to what used to be "normal".......

For dinner, I'm sure it will be soup and right now that is limited to just a few cans on the shelf, lol....Most of the pots, pans and dishes are packed....We just kept out enough for me...Kathy even packed all my wine glasses, but you know, it still tastes pretty good out of a water glass......

You all have a great day......

Happy eating..........

Eagle Update! Miracles have happened in the N. Ft. Myers nest....Harriet has layed 2 more eggs even after we all thought her time was up, having a 2nd clutch....And in the Hays nest, near me, we now have 2 eggs.....I'm having a hard time keeping track of my little ones.......

Return to “Chit Chat”