Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wed., Feb 19th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wed., Feb 19th

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:40 am

Good morning!

What beautiful weather we are having! And it's all going east! Get your sunglasses polished up, JANA! It was about 50* yesterday and sunny. I spent an hour raking up fir cones and little twigs, etc in the new part of our yard and then I helped DH as he washed the car. I cleaned the inside. After that we built a campfire in the fire pit and relaxed for a while until it started to chill down. I also got my first orphan quilt top finished. My next one is going to be all 12" blocks I think. Somehow I had a total of 27 12" blocks in my orphan tote. Where do they all come from?? I used 4 of them in my first top so have 23 left in addition to a lot of smaller blocks and various parts and pieces of blocks. It's fun trying to fit these things all together. Like a pretty jigsaw puzzle.

Today I'm going to clean the closet in the quilting room. DH finished quilting my Christmas Country Charmer so he's out of there for a while and I can move around more easily. (Which reminds me, now I have a quilt to bind.) We're also going to wash and clean the pick-up and probably do another little bit of work in the yard. And in my leftover time, I'll start figuring my next orphan top.

JANA - glad the roof is OK and the goof on the taxes wasn't yours! What's your sewing story these days? Have any projects in progress or are you in between right now?

BECCA - So nice for you to be able to get out and enjoy your walking trails with your friend. Yes, it was unusual for my little mama to hold that position on the baseketball court. But probably most of the other players weren't that tall either. It was an all girls school (same one my sisters and I went to). But she did mention that it was odd for someone as short as she was to be selected for jumping center but that she was good at it. Guess she was a good jumper as a teenager! I love getting a windfall of books! I haunt thrift shops for them. But I mostly read mysteries. I used to read more intense ones, like Patricia Cornwell, but as I've gotten older, I've drifted towards the 'cozy' genre. But I've always got a book going - a paper one to read at night, and an audio one to listen to while I sew, clean, cook, garden, etc. But then I'm the daughter and the mother of librarians. It's in my blood.

CHICKIE - Hope your weather straightens up soon. You really were a rebel as a kid, weren't you! lol! I never played much sports, but not for lack of wanting to. I begged to play on a softball team as a kid so the folks let me in fifth grade, but it was a hardship on them that I didn't appreciate back then. We went to a private Catholic school and Mom drove us every day back and forth, 15 miles each way, over the toll bridge. So if one of us had an after school activity, we ALL had to go. And I know she had things at home she had interrupted to come pick us up. Living on a farm is a busy life! Finally we found a permanent ride with a neighbor but then we could do NOTHING after school so no more sports or activities of any kind. You are really enjoying all the baby sewing! Sew much fun to have time in your sewing room again. And babies are so sweet!

LORI - Are you visiting (I think it's your son) for a specific reason this week or just to visit. So nice for him that you are willing to go back and puppy sit in March! It's really hard to travel when you have pets unless you travel in an RV so having a sitter you can trust is priceless! Thanks for your comments on my orphan quilt. I'm calling my sewing room The Orphanage these days! I'll post photos here when I get more finished. Congrats on your new pick-up! Will you be getting a trailer now? Just an FYI - we have RV parking here with electricity and water . . . . And we make a good headquarters for visiting this area. And we happily pet sit for guests when they want to go to Seattle, etc.

IRISH is having fun in the sun in FL this week, but I bet her mind is more on her big move when she gets home!

For tonight I have some cooked chicken in the fridge so we'll see how it lands on our plates tonite. Maybe shredded in an alfredo sauce over angel hair pasta. Or maybe tacos . . .or perhaps on a pizza with BBQ sauce . . . We'll see - I like surprises!

Got any plans yet for your supper?

FarmChick

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wed., Feb 19th

Post by FarmChick » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:56 am

Good morning! It’s smelling good here—I have steel cut oats with raisins in the rice cooker to be ready for DH when he returns from coffee.

Mary—I wish our weather were that nice! We were in the 40s yesterday, but the wind chill was miserable! Walking into the east and the north made me regret walking, but facing west coming home, I got warm. Today is more 40s and an east wind. Tomorrow will be in the 30s. Please, please—send 50s!

I truly have been having fun sewing baby things! I need to get some little yellow ribbon roses next time I go to the store, then I’ll be ready to start the next projects. I found some cute flannels in the stash I got from DH’s friend’s daughter, so I’ll make three receiving blankets from that. And, of course, quilts are fluttering through my head like leaves in fall. I’ve settled on the baby version of Fancy Forest Friends, and I can make some bibs from it as well. I’m going to make Dogs in Sweaters from Ava for a surprise.

Mary—Love your big star cabin quilt! I saw it in progress, and it’s beautiful! I used to read Patricia Cornwell, but she got more intense and descriptive, and she lost me. I have a paperback in the truck for waiting, and another in the house that I’m reading when I’m not crocheting. Books have always been my friends and escapes. I used to practically live in the libraries.

Lori—the hunt was still on while I was walking, but it had moved east. Last I heard, the perp was captured. I think my hooligans would protect me… maybe. I do miss Tinker Bell. She could be intimidating, but she was a softie after she got her bluff in first. One time she had some salesman backing fast off the porch when she came out the doggie door full blast.

Dinner tonight… red beans and rice with brats. I made some baked “fried” bell pepper rings last night, and I have those left as well. They were coated with panko, flour, and spices after an egg wash. They came out real well with no oil.

Bon appétit!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:08 am

Good morning!

First off, dinner - baked chicken and rice pilaf. That much I know.

Rest of my day is unknown. Michael has a work call in a couple minutes. I will clean the master bathroom and closet while he is on the phone. Then I can sew. I have about half the little tissue holders done. I need around 70 for all the women. Some will be in the class I teach, others are serving in Primary and with the Young Women. I want all to be included, even though they are busy teaching in the other organizations. I have taught Primary and know how it feels to be included.

Mary - we have car wash places practically on every corner. A new one right near the house does a wonderful job in washing the car and has towels, vacuums and windex, so you can do interior, all included in the price. My way of washing the Highlander. They even have monthly passes, so you can wash it as much as you want. Not bad at cost, the price of two washes, covers the monthly pass. I am trying to convince Michael about the monthly, but no success. With a white car, the dirt shows quickly!

Chickie - oh the wind chill cuts right through everything! Warm is coming! It is so much fun to sew for babies! I love it!

Well, call came through, need for me to get busy,

Enjoy,
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 am

Hello everyone cloudy here Wow what a morning we had First off get to DG CA starts to get out & realizes he doesn’t have oxygen on Another thing to add to my check list We had to come home Then start again Then on to lab Everywhere they were swamped Grocery store was crazy with people I was sooo glad to be home Went by library but just dropped books off

Maryz That was very short for a center She had to be good I sure couldn’t be one at 5 2
That quilt was awesome I’m anxious to see your orphan ones I love the crazy quilt look
I must have books to read Always have loved reading One of my grands that lives in WA reads a book a day

Chickie I know those baby items are adorable That’s my favorite thing to make other than bears And dolls We had wind on Monday I thought of you Levi always talked about the wind in Kansas

Jana You are right about Primary I taught there too but then switched to teens then adults sure your articles will be loved

My BFF gave me a bag of yarn There was some nylon in it I started crocheting potholders They go quick & are very nice She gave me 5 colors They can also be used for a trivet
I need to get on uglies I’m tired from
My morning We are having spaghetti n salad
Becca

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:58 am

Hi everyone!
I've been bouncing around from sewing, cleaning front yard, going to the back yard with Preston, making lunch... whew. LOL. It's a beautiful day again, trying to take advantage of it! I'm hoping the rain holds off till after Frankie can get the back yard mowed, it's in desperate need. Preston was mad at me because I made him stay out of the foot tall mustard weeds.
I love reading too, always have. Jazmyne usually reads at least 1 book a day but you all would be shocked at the books they have in the school library for 12 and 13 year olds! Crazy.
Mary, looking forward to seeing your orphan blocks quilts!
Chickie, that's how my Rosie is, she sounds like a rottweiler instead of a cocker spaniel, her hair stands up all down her back..... I'm actually not sure if she wouldn't really bite someone especially when the kids are here, she's very protective.
Jana, I pull my vehicles in our drive gate and wash ours on our lawn 🥰 the vehicles get washed and the grass gets watered plus if there's any bad bugs for the grass the soap kills them, win, win, win 🤣😂
Becca, we always had that problem with Mom and her oxygen bottles, they started carrying a 6 pack of bottles whenever they left the house. I think I'm becoming more of a hermit, I don't like going where there's big crowds anymore.
Tonight is my turn for feeding Dad. I think it might be smothered burritos, I haven't made anything with burger for quite awhile.
Friday is a small quilt show about 90 miles away that I usually go to, I'm hoping the weather is nice enough that we can go Friday, Saturday is supposed to be yucky. They usually have about 100 quilts and about 20 vendors. I have entered a couple quilts in the past but didn't get anything done for this year, Dad really wanted me to enter something this year, he told me Sunday 🤷‍♀️. Mom always use to give my entries to one of her friends and they took them on Wednesday or Thursday to enter them for me so they could be hung up. Maybe next year, I'll have to think of something to enter. Oh and it's free admission, my favorite! ❤❤❤
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”