Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, Jan 27

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, Jan 27

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:47 am

Good morning!

Yesterday we had a mostly dry day and 50*. What a gift! Even a few patches of blue sky! We went for a long walk on our paved walking trail and it felt good to feel the sun on our backs. And I saw some shrubs starting to bud! But later in the day we had a downpour that was so heavy and loud we went out on our covered deck to watch it and Scottie barked at the rain! lol! And soon it stopped, so apparently barking works!

I got a few more CCC blocks done. I have 6-1/2 to go. And yes, with this quilt, I count half a block a reportable accomplishment! :lol: I got another strip done on my yo-yo quilt last night. (I posted a photo in today's sew-in of what this project will hopefully look like when I'm done.) I have 9 strips done, and 29 to go, but at least the yo-yo's are all made. This is my TV project for now. I'm stitching the yo-yo's on by hand. I did try machine but made a royal mess of that!

I have chiropractor this morning and we're meeting Gus & Claudia for Happy Hour at 3:30 and there are a few dust bunnies here needing some attention, so my time at the sewing machine will be limited today.

BECCA - I love pork loin and I'll take mashed or scalloped potatoes any day of the week! Love potatoes in any form but those are my two favorites. Along with hashbrowns, fries, au gratin,and baked and homefries and rawfries, and creamed and . . . . . So sorry your little one had shingles. My three kids all had them when in their young 20's. Lara's was a bad case on her trunk. She was 21 and newly married. Mike and Autumn both had them on their arms, much lighter cases, but still painful. Bill and I got the shots - both shots, in fact - so hope we're covered. They are expensive, but when you compare that cost to the cost of antiviral meds, plus the pain and suffering, it's worth it.

LORI - I never heard of Appliquick applique until you mentioned it. I've done needle turn by hand, blanket stitch by hand, and the rest with fusible and machine satin or blanket stitch.

BECCA - I saw your DGS, Chriss, had another allergic reaction but they don't know to what. I remember when this happened before. I assume he carries an epi-pen? (another needlessly expensive drug!) I pray they figure out soon what triggers these episodes.

OK, Soup Report. It was kind of fun to make, simple, and no unusual ingredients (except for the pickles! lol! They are kind of unusual for soup.) And it smelled good while cooking in the crockpot. It turned out pretty thin so I tried to thicken it a bit with cornstarch and water. And Bill did eat a whole bowl of it. You've got to love dill pickles, which we do. But it's a LOT of pickle taste when it's your whole meal. I'm glad I finally tried it, but I won't make it again. I did ask Bill which would he prefer - the pickle or the carrot soup. He immediately chose carrot. :lol: Still have 1-1/2 qts of it if anyone wants to try it! . . .

Tonite we're going out for Mexican. Again. Different friends from last Friday, different restaurant. Would like something other than Mexican but they are the ones with the good happy hour menus and we have 5 Mexican restaurants here in Gig Harbor. And both times, we've been the 'invitees' so we go to where we're invited. So taco salad it will be. For me, anyway.

What's it going to be for you?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Monday, Jan 27

Post by auntjana » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 am

Good morning!

Mary - Bill is such a trooper! Five gold stars in my book, for even eating a mouthful! Yes, by all means count half blocks! I have a quilt that has a similar number of pieces per block too. I understand!

Scottie would have loved to bark at my snowflakes last night. They were huge, but fell quietly. About 2 inches each. Snowed most of the night. Michael will need to shovel in a bit. Still have snow clouds, but bits of blue sky are peeking through.

My jersey hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully today. Aaron is trying to figure out food for Sunday night. I will do up a few things and Sandee, who has her Dad's 49'er jersey may watch the game over here and bring food too. Only her TV is bigger than mine, so we will see. Matt and family will be at his in-laws to watch the game. It is the required, as I put it, dinner with that side of the family. No matter what. It is a once a month gathering. Me, more laid back, come whenever!

After waltzing matilda, Mt washmore and dust bunny removal, I will play. One of my friends, who was shifted out of my Ward, she was in my Ward for a long time, wants to come play in the Batt Cave. She sews beautifully and has started to quilt, but wants me to help and teach her. Fun to have another quilter around!

Sarah is busy as always. She is getting the hang of her Landscape Architecture class. Her hand done drawings are beautiful. A lot of work! She is also learning about all the hardscape - brick, cement, etc, and all the things we did wrong at this house, which are being fixed. I am her picky client. You see, I detest, a over grown look and if the plant is not the same as the one next to it, they can't touch. I want a very manicured look. Drives Sarah batty, but isn't that us moms are supposed to do? :D

Dinner - a soup and bread of some sort. Or maybe nachos - will check the pantry for what I have.

Enjoy!
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 am

Hello everyone a rainy dreary day here Snowing on the Mtns

Maryz Chris carries an epi pen all the time plus he is on a very stick diet & exercises regularly He was very sick yesterday And every med they tried didn’t work It was last nite before they found one that stopped it They try to never let him be alone He had allergies as a child real bad too His mother is the one that died when he was 11 She was an RN
I love your yo-yo quilt Never seen one made that way All I’ve ever seen were sewn Yo-yos touching I like yoursi think Bill needs an award for best sport

Jana Sure hope Aaron has an uneventful day You would never survive at my house I love the manicured look too but my body is past keeping it that way lol

Tina Prayers for you & your Dad Shingles isn’t something anyone wants to deal with
Hugs to you

I have been going thru more stuff this morningRan across all the Family Histories dating back to 1700
I am making potato soup Becca

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 pm

Good afternoon from a very, very dreary, semi soggy, chilly, SW. Pa....Not a nice day for mice or men or me, for that matter.....Another sleepless night in this neighborhood...Up roaming the house at 3:30, that's after reading until 2:00, so I had a warm cup of apple cider and some crackers, took 1/2 a pill to relax me and about 5:00 hit the couch...Well, that was a big mistake, after an hour or so, woke up with a head that felt like I had been out on a binge (without the fun)...Here it is almost 3:30 and I'm still "groggy", never again.....

Mary, I go along with naming Bill a true hero! He must love or trust you an awful lot to be put under that duress, lol.....One of these days, you need to treat him to his favorite meal.....Oh boy, I hate to hear about any body having shingles and especially if they are youngsters....Jim had them twice, terrible...I've had the shots and hope and pray I never get the real thing....

Becca, Also hate to hear about kids and allergies...My sister was just telling me about 1 of her greats being tested and his peanut allergy is life threatening and has to carry a pen..Poor little fellow is only 3 but is already learning what he can and can't have....Hopefully, when they're young, there is a chance, they'll grow out of it.....Just something else for us to worry about I guess.....Oh, potato soup, now you have me thinking.....

Jana, What fun to have another quilter to "play" with....That might get my "mojo" up and running...And would love to see your landscape...I need someone to come and say, OK, this is what goes here and what goes there...I have a problem with just sticking something in and then wondering why.....I really should be banned from all garden shops in the 1st place....

Tina, so sorry to hear about your day and the pain....Hoping and praying, all the "bad" goes away and he's feeling better quickly....It seems, you've had a stretch of bad stuff, now to have that stretch of good stuff.....

Today is a yucky day and not accomplishing too much...I think my mistake is doing too much next day planning before I go to bed and then after not getting any sleep, nothing gets done....I've talked to my sister and she's doing remarkably well...This knee isn't hurting at all, just a little discomfort..She does have her DD's friend staying with her so I'm not needed, yet....With Nick being home, which has been great, he's been using my car...He did bring it back last night but he has all this week, if he needs it...He leaves early Friday morning, flies to Dallas and then onto England...So by next Sunday, he'll be across the pond...He's trying to sort through his stuff and decide what to take...Heck, I have a hard time packing for 2 weeks, I can't imagine going for a couple of years...Friday is going to be a very hard day.....

Going to try to get back to the basement and sort through Jim's work bench...I get the feeling, the kids are holding back in taking their Dad's stuff...It could be selling the house or it could be really putting a closure on Jim's passing...I get times like that and then I think, this is what Jim would want....

As for my dinner, I have some chicken that needs taken care of or maybe just a French style pizza that is taking up room in the freezer....Of course Becca's potato soup is sounding awfully good.....

You all have a great rest of the day.....

Happy eating.............

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:41 pm

Maryz, I like pickles, but pickle soup just doesn't sound appealing. Appliquick is just a method of applique using tools. I tried it last night and love it. I think I found my new way to applique.

Jana, DH did landscaping for years on the side. He would just render simple drawings. He was a fireman and they all have side jobs. It was great, because if you need anything one of the guys usually did it on the side. Glad Sarah is getting the hang of things.

Becca, how awesome to have family history like that. Where does it start?

I'll just be grabbing whatever for dinner. DH is at the dentist, and probably won't eat until later.

Have a lovely evening.
Lori 8-)

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 pm

I was at Road last week. I left on Tuesday and came back on Saturday morning. I took two classes on the Handi-Quilter. I think they have discontinued the Sweet 16 and now it is 18 inches and called the "Capri". The stitch regulator is in the table. I do not have a stitch regulator and am doing fine. The classes I took were very helpful. One was on using the rulers and the other was on more quilting as in filling spaces. Both classes used rulers. I had quite a good time at the Handi-Quilter Booth as well as on the stencils that use the pounce. I had a great time. The show was beautiful and I came back refreshed and happy.

Tonight was supposed to be pork chops, however DH got tied up in a meeting and was late (he did not call me). So we had fast hash made with O'Brien Potatoes and ground turkey instead. The pork chops will wait until tomorrow.

I think I told you about our cat, Amie, having stage 4 renal failure. She has rallied and is doing quite well with getting fluid twice a day. She is eating on her own. It is amazing!

Lori - Sorry I missed you at the show. Ninety percent of aircraft crashes are pilot error not aircraft malfunction. I am so saddened by the loss of life, it is unbelievable.

Carol
California

Return to “Chit Chat”