Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Jan 23

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Jan 23

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:29 am

Good morning,

Going to be 53* today with a 100% chance of rain. Yippee!! Another sew day! But missing my walks.

We had a bad shooting in downtown Seattle last evening about 5pm just as people were getting off work and walking to busses. Out on the street at a very busy intersection with lots of pedestrians. 8 were shot. 1 died, 1 was critical, and 1 was a minor injury. 1 was a child who has been upgraded from serious to satisfactory this morning. All survivors are improved this morning. The shooters are still at large. The going theory right now is that this incident was a gunfight between the suspects, not a random shooting. Any spare prayers for all those who are touched by this would be appreciated.

Yesterday I got to stay in my sewing room, almost completely uninterrupted. And I'm hoping today, too, after a few uglies. I got a good start on my Country Charmer. I'd planned to enlarge it to a king for our bed, but turns out it will be a lot of white. White is definitely NOT a good color for our bed until our black pets are gone and we get new, white ones. So I'll probably keep it to the original size - 60x70". Bill was going to do an outdoor project, but with the rainy weather we're having decided to put a quilt on the frame instead! Whoo Hoo! He's working on Scrappy Stars for our neighbors, who should be back from their winter getaway before the end of the month.

BECKY - the more you shop, the more knowledgeable you will be when it comes time to make the decision. Take a little notebook with you to jot down thoughts, impressions of each brand, model as well as details about each machine. And you might check user groups on-line to see what others have to say. And you may find a gently used one for significant savings.

LORI - So sorry I missed the cake! Didn't get the message until 4pm. Rats! When I come to dinner, can we have it again, please? I rarely make it because I can eat the whole cake by myself if no one is watching! But if you made it it would only be polite of me to eat a big piece, and maybe an extra piece just to make you feel good! 8-)

BECCA - congrats to your DGD! I hope her bakery does very well! Does she have any employees or is she doing it all by herself for now? Is she a trained baker or does she just have the talent and love of what she's doing?

JANA - I hate when you get your vehicle worked on and they don't work on it, but they don't forget to charge you. We took our pick-up in about 5 months ago for routine work, but Bill had two other things for them to address. Which they didn't. So it meant another round trip to Tacoma, which added another $25 in tolls and fuel to the bill plus the loss of our truck for another day or two. Not to mention the inconvenience and aggravation. Are the hearts you are re-doing on your Valentine skinnie? Better hurry!

TINA - thanks for your texted report last night about your dad. Glad to hear the pressure in his eye is improving and he may get to go home today. Let us know if you have the time.

Supper tonite is still a blank slate. But we have a lot of leftover pizza so that will probably work out for us.

FavoriteGrandma

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Jan 23

Post by FavoriteGrandma » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:35 am

Good morning ladies.
Ugh.....another snow day here. They have had one partial day in a week now. Our gravel roads are very icy, so I guess it is a good thing.
Ha, Mary, glad I can excite you, spending my money, too funny! JR did say just get one, but like I told him, I have no where to put it, I would rather save part of the money, I don't know for sure that is the one I want, and oh, yeah, I have no where to put it! He just looked over and said, why would you look then? Such a ding-a-ling.....I have been to small quilt shows over the years, but not any that were big enough to sell fabric and other things. Those would be really cool. Paducah is on my bucket list. The one in Texas too, but I would have to enlist my BFF for that one. And she doesn't even sew, but she said just let me know when.....told her I have to save for that too!
Lori, I sometimes freeze soups too. Do you use glass jars in the freezer for those? I think my grandma did that, but can't remember for sure. A lot of our left overs, my DH takes in his lunches, and I have two grands that will eat leftovers. The others will in some things, if they don't know there are leftovers in it. Grandma's dirty little secret, I guess.....
Best wishes to your DGD, Becca. That is quite a job she will have there. I have a SIL that bakes in the winter months for the sale barn in their town. She bakes at home. She said it was the only way she could justify getting a new stove at the time. I told her she was doing it wrong, she needed to just stop cooking, but she said she would feel bad for the kids.....
Tina, hope your dad is doing better.
Well, guess I better get started, my only chore I have actually mapped out for the day is to make my bed, then vacumn.....I have taken chicken out for dinner tonight, but don't really know how I am going to fix it yet.....Have a great day! Becky

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:43 am

Hello everyone cloudy here
I got my groceries & shots & was home before 10 Then did bathrooms & Dust bunnies removed Floors still await

Thanks for the well wishes for Bethany She attended a school inKentucky for a week & learned so much But she has always loved baking just like I did Shewill do well I’m sure As of now it’s only her doing it all She wanted to not go big until Wren is in School 2 more years

I had not heard about shooting
Will pray for the families So sad
Becky Hope your day goes smooth & kids can get back to school soon

There was snow close here this morning We still have some ur cold
Yesterday Taylor put on a blog to try to help people who are going thu hard times or a struggle It was incredible to read about their journey so far with the babies It’s amazing how God has worked in each one of their lives It was something to read
We have soup & today is a perfect day for it Becca
Last edited by Becca on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:49 am

Good afternoon from a sunny but chilly, SW. Pa....Might be chilly but that sun sure makes it look super outside....

Mary, I did hear/see about that shooting on the news....So very sad...It's hard to understand why people do this, just hard to think about.....Prayers go out to the families of those involved....

I really can't stay and chat but I have to much to share, I'm bursting at the seams....
1st, my sister had her 2nd knee done yesterday and is doing very well...She was hardly out of surgery, back in her room and they were getting her out of bed...The next thing I knew, she was walking across the room...She did have a nerve block but my heavens, she has a completely new knee....We are now calling her the robotic woman...She has about as much metal, screws, bolts etc. in her body as Home Depot has in a store...So much fun to take to the airport.....

BUT, the big news, my Nick surprised me last night...He flew in yesterday afternoon and then showed up on my doorstep, in uniform...I've been waiting to hear but he kept it a surprise....Oh my does he look good, Poor kids thought I was never going to let him go, lol...He has to be back in Dallas on the 31st and then he's off to England for a couple of years...Going to be very hard seeing him off but it sure is nice having him home for awhile....He's visiting his mother now and then coming back here...AND I might even be cooking...If I can figure out how to use the stove....
Maybe for dinner, swiss steak, gravy, mashed potatoes and a veggie....Not sure if I'll get anything baked or not.....

You all have a super day, you know I will be enjoying every minute.....

Happy eating....................

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:25 am

Good afternoon!

Home from changing cars at the shop. They quickly fixed the brake issue, under their warranty and now are doing the routine maintenance on my Highlander. We will pick it up later this afternoon.

Mary - so sad about Seattle. Read that they suspect it was cross fire and innocent bystanders.

Irish - aren't surprises wonderful! I assume you locked him in at your house and may let him out when leave is over. :D

Becca - there is a few clear days heading your way from me out here. We even warmed up here. If you xan call 40 warm!

Becky - you are more patient with picky eaters than me! They would probably be very hungry at my house.

Dinner - out - it is class tonight, so we will bring something home.

Heading downstairs,
Enjoy,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 pm

I spent the entire day at Road 2 CA.
What a great day, but I'm exhausted.

Sorry you missed the cake yesterday Mary. It was delicious. I tried a new frosting recipe and it was really good.

We went out to one of favorite places for dinner. I was to tired to cook.

Have a lovely evening.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Chit Chat”