Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Jan 22

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Jan 22

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:30 am

Good morning,

44* here but not raining. That will come later, but for the moment, we're dry. By the end of this week, we will be able to go canoeing on the back lawn!

Yesterday I finished my swap blocks and tidied my room, then got out the Country Charmer pattern. Whoa baby! This one is going to keep my attention for a while. My plan is to do it in Christmas greens and reds. We went to a movie yesterday afternoon - Bad Boys For Life. Have to say, I walked out after 20 minutes. Just too violent for me. I went to Home Goods next door, bought Lara a birthday present, then picked up the mail, and spent the rest of the time at the library across the street from the theater until Bill got out. They have shelves of books for sale in the lobby - $1/book. And they had 6 books from one of the authors I collect so I snapped them up and went inside, found a comfy chair in a back corner, and settled in to read until Bill texted that the movie was over. So - the afternoon wasn't a total waste - I got more books! I have books stashed everywhere in this house, what's 6 more!? lol! Books, fabric, and cats. That's the theme of our home decor here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is nothing written on our calendar for today and tomorrow. And if I tie Bill up and stash him in a closet, maybe it will stay that way! My plan is to pull fabrics for my CC and see what kind of trouble I can get into with that.

TINA - I'm anxious to hear a morning report on Dad.

BECCA - congratulations to your DGD on her bakery! Does she have an actual storefront or does she bake from home and sell her goods? I've often wondered how bakers can bake so much "inventory" every morning in time to open a shop. My DGS loves baking and is the morning baker at the bakery where he works. It's hard work!

JANA - I think a few other people here have HQ's, too. Bill bought Red Snappers several years ago and loves them. He quilts probably 75% of our projects and he loads the others for me. How quickly the student became the teacher!!

I'm stuck on supper tonite. I have 1/2 pint of pizza sauce in the fridge to use up so that's what it will probably be. And another big ole' salad.

How's things looking in your kitchen?

FavoriteGrandma

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wed, Jan 22

Post by FavoriteGrandma » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:15 am

Good morning.
We have a blustery day in store here. Am hoping it is much to do about nothing, but.....
I think I am officially sick of winter!
Thanks for all the advice on the long arms ladies....I have plenty of time to look, not going to do anything until kids are down the hill, and that is coming along, slooooowwwwwllllyyyy.....lol
The bedroom that I am taking for my sewing room is 14 x 16, I think. But, if need be, when DD's stuff is out of the basement, I will have very large areas there, a couple windows and the walkout part.....lots of choices when the stuff is out! That is part of the reason I think I will try out the machines at the LQS. I think the throat was 20 inches, she said, but not real sure about that. The quilt the lady was quilting when we were there, she was almost done, she said it was a queen, and she looked to have a bit of room left.
Just going to look, these machines were Janome. I haven't been to a quilt show in forever, so when I get closer to the time, will have to track one down! I did try one several years ago, not for long, but don't remember the brand, this one is so much easier than I remember....
Well, I guess I better get started with my morning. Funny that you make soup and think of me, Becca! Do I make soup a lot? Today is beef stew, so maybe I do.....Take care, Becky

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 am

Maryz, I'd be happy to have you for dinner.

Becky, I don't make soup a very often, but when I do I make a big pot and freeze it in quart jars for later.
Then I can just pull it out thaw it and make corn bread to go with it. I like easy.

I need to finish up my Dad cake this morning. Just need to make the frosting. I made a vanilla cake yesterday and will make milk chocolate frosting to go on top.

Don't know what's for dinner tonight. Maybe grilled chicken and mashed potatoes.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 am

LORI, you are making my favorite cake!! What time will we be cutting into it?? Great idea about the soup. I do that, too, if we're tired of it and we're still not to the bottom of the pot. :)

BECKY - one thing to consider re long-arms - if you want to do a 12" block pattern. Thinking we had plenty of room with our 17" throat we got the project under way. By the middle of the quilt it was plain to see by the end we wouldn't have room for our pattern so we had to remove the quilt, turn it around, roll it back to the middle, (keeping all three layers smooth and wrinkle free) and start again. If we were buying another one today, we wouldn't have anything less than a 24" throat. Other factors are $$, type of quilts you tend to make, and the realization that what you do now may not be what you want to do in future once you have a nice machine at your disposal . . .

This is so exciting! Helping someone else spend money!!

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:49 am

Hello everyone This puppy is pooped Aftrr our town trip I came home & made a big recipe of cranberry salad We like it so I double the recipe
We got all our errands done but alas I have to go back tomorrow to get shots & groceries They only come here on Monday and Thurs Not real convenient
Maryz I don’t do cop shows movies or anything violet or upsetting Makes me have nightmares
Bethany works out of an old Historic Home that belonged to her DHs GGrandparents It has a commercial Kitchen It is rented out for Wedding receptions Etc Beth bought a European Oven plus there’s commercial ovens there She used to do work with her Dad in Construction so she definitely knows how to work hard She applies herself in whatever she does She will sale from her DHs business located here in Town And a Restaurant that sells her bread let’s you pick up at their place too
I’m sure she will do well She named it Bent Willow Baking Co

JanaDoes Aaron wear a suit of armore He sure needs 1 Oh my the close calls he has
So thankful he was safe

Becky You had just made soup was why I thought of you Sure you will be happy to have your house back

Lori I too freeze some of my soup Always good for a day when you get in late

I have uglies but for now break time We ate out so no cooking We still have soup left but sure that will be tomorrow Becca
Last edited by Becca on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:55 am

We're having cake at 1 Mary. I think you can make it. :)
Lori 8-)

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 am

Good afternoon!

No, Aaron doesn't have a suit of armour or a force field. I just hope he can't out run his guardian angel or should I make that plural, angels. He is just wired to do his duty and do whatever it takes. He did lecture the woman that he has a family and he wants to go home to them each day.

I have some turkey burger thawed, so I will see what is in the refrigerator to go along with that. A experiment as I would tell my kids when they were little.

We had to take my Solara back to the shop. She was making that same sound they just fixed. So the Highlander will wait a day or two more.

So I am heading to the Batt Cave. I am remaking the patchwork hearts, so they are all red, not light and dark. Only need to unsew a few seams.

It is warm enough to rain today, no snow falling. The rain is melting what snow is on the ground too. But it will snow again in a couple of days.

Enjoy,
Jana

Return to “Chit Chat”