Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Jan 21

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Jan 21

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:54 am

Good morning!

After last week's cold snap, we are now headed into a heat wave! Temps will be mid-50's. Even our low temps are forecast for mid to upper 40's all week long. But we will have quite a bit of rain, too. But that's OK. Keeps us lush and green and we rarely have wildfires in Western WA. A pretty good exchange! Plus - rainy days equal sewy days!

As IRISH pointed out, for un-busy people, our yesterday was crammed! Morning breakfast and clean up kitchen, sew for an hour, chiro with a long waiting room sit, met DH and Dog at the walking trail after for a brisk few miles, grocery shop, home to put groceries away and prep supper, then off to DH's dr appt which was 20 mile drive each way and another long wait, home by 5pm, get supper in the oven, and finally sit down at 5:30. Whew! I'm tired all over again just typing that out! Today will be lower key, I believe, though Bill wants to go to a movie this afternoon since it's discount day. A cop show with Martin Lawrence and, I want to say, Will Smith? I'm not much of a movie person but I said I'd go with him today. Last week he went by himself. Wish my DS and DBIL lived closer. The men both love movies and both love the same kind of movies. And really enjoy each other's company as well.

TINA - how is your dad this morning? For those that didn't hear because it happened later in the day, Tina's dad was taken to the hospital for chest pains. Tests being done to determine the cause but at last report he was in good humor and asking for food.

CHICKIE - congrats on more baby news! All that plus Blondie's new baby! You are blessed! I think it's great that Doyle is deeding property to his DGS and a new house will go up where the old house was and the generations will continue! When is their baby is due?

BECKY - if you are thinking of buying a long arm, make sure you try out every brand you can. They are definitely all NOT the same! And prices are all over the map! I thought sure I wanted a certain brand, but we went to a quilt show, tried it out and within 20 seconds I knew it wasn't the one for me. It killed my back. Then I tried my second choice and it was like hollow metal rattling and shaking. We finally settled on a Nolting in 2008 and never looked back. We love it. But when we started shopping originally, we didn't truly realize the difference between a short arm, a mid-arm, and a long-arm. Also, I was thinking a 17" throat gave you 17 inches of quilting space. Not so. The most space we can get by the second half of a quilt is 10" because the quilted portion is rolled up onto a take-up roller which is inside that throat space. And you have to have room for the frame. Our room is 10x13. You need to get in back of it at times so you need room to get around the end of the frame. We have 2 feet to get around the end of our 11-ft frame and it sits out from the back wall about 18". The frame is 3-feet front to back, so that leaves us 5-ft in front of it to walk. Lots of things we've learned over the years. I figure we've quilted 250 quilts since 2010 from crib to king. So our machine has paid for itself about 3 times over. But we do a lot of quilts here.

JANA - I hope your jersey gets there in time because we want you suited up for the big game!

IRISH - I'm betting that teddy bear with the paint spot will have a place of honor in your home foreverafter! How special! It's difficult to travel these new waters - house and moving - alone. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. But at least I had 3 young kids to think of and it was amazing the strength they gave me. We just kept trying to look forward. It's hard, but exciting times are ahead! And sounds like you have some good people surrounding you to ease this transition. God bless!

LORI - your soup sounds as delicious as your pasta the day before! If I ever come to your house, remind me to ask for supper! And I love the sound of the fresh breads you serve, though I'm watching my Weight, my cholesterol, and now my A1c, so I don't get bread nearly as much as I'd like. :(

BECCA - seems there's always a lot happening at your house, too! So nice to have a long visit with Marty. How are he and his 'friend' doing? Nice that she sends goodies to you. She knows the way to 'Dad's' heart!

Last night's "jambalaya" was pretty good. Bill even remarked on it and went for seconds. Though it was more like Spanish Rice than Jambalaya. (Maybe that's why he liked it!). It was also good to have a fresh romaine salad again! After all the recalls we've been making do with other veggies and it's just not the same. We do love our salads here! And we have enough to do a full repeat tonite!

Got a plan for your supper yet?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Jan 21

Post by auntjana » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:39 am

Good morning!

Yes, Mary, you are so right on all the advice on long arms! I made the mistake with my first, thinking I had enough room in the throat, it was a mid arm. So paid much more attention when I did get my bigger Handi Quilter. Love it! My frame is huge too, we laugh and say, you need as much room as a single car garage for it! I have gotten lots of after market toys for mine. Love, love, love Red Snappers. They make it so easy to load a quilt. My frame is adjustable, if needed for height.

Tina - many prayers!

Becca - always having family over is a good thing!

Irish - a few years back, my mom sold the family house. She had lived in that house for more than 40 years. She was ready to move. Packed up everything and took all the memories from that house to the new one. It worked and the new house always seemed like home to me. It was a long distance move, California to Utah. Her home in California totally paid, with leftovers, for the new home.

Again, no idea for dinner, Michael is no help either on what he wants to eat, so we will see later.

Enjoy!
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:26 am

Hello everyone cold but sunny & that helps
Maryz We enjoyed having Marty His family is all so involved right now DGD put her new web site on for her new Bakery & she was covered up the first day with inquires from Businesses & individuals She doesn’t ship out of town yet
And with Levi & Taylor it’s always something new Levi cut his hand at work & we didn’t know he had been hurt He is doing good
Marty & Estel are fine They stay busy with work & she has a small dog She lives close to marty
And his other DS is on 2 wk mission trip to Philipians
You & Bill are always on the go Would be nice if DSister lived close

Tina Praying for your Dad & you You are always caring for others Such a loving giving person Hugs to you

Irish I’m sure the House situation will be fine with your family behind you I used to make the memory bears I always included something that was unique to the person

Jana Hope that shirt arrives I have my shirt on today for my favorite college

Becky I’m making soup & it reminded me of you

Chickie That is wonderful that the DS will be close & on the land that’s been in the family

Lori Hope your Doggies are both good today
I’m making soup from Ham bone potatoes celery carrots onion garlic & black eyed peas & tomato’s
We will enjoy the soup Perfect for a cold day I got my laundry drying Plan to do some more emboidery Marty took his load home with him Becca
Last edited by Becca on Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:32 am

JANA - sorry you have to go out today. We always schedule all of our appts as early as possible. Just to get them overwith. I hate to have my day cut in half by appts.

Our first quilting machine was an impulse buy. It was a short arm and we only had 3 to 4 inches of quilting room. We sold that after 2 years and bought the Nolting. And glad you mentioned the frame, too. Nolting built our frame to our specs to fit our room. Hence, 11 ft. Their standard sizes are even number of feet but for an extra $100 they said they'd make it right to the inch what we ordered. We also got locking castors so we can reposition it, as well as hydraulics to raise and lower the frame. Costs more, but well worth it!

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:42 am

Good morning!
Dad is doing better, thank you all ❤ 🙏❤ they said his heart is fine. He had A-fib and it's the leading cause of strokes. He has a bad pain behind his left eye and they gave him a pill because A-fib can cause blood clots even tiny ones. The cat scan didn't show any that they saw but they gave him a pill that will break up even tiny ones. They think he might have a tiny one behind his eye causing him pain.
I'm staying home today unless they discharge him but so far they haven't mentioned it so I'm thinking with it already being after 10:30am that they won't today, but we'll see.
It's very cold and breezy and overcast here today.
I'm doing laundry, bills, babysitting and trying to get in my sewing room, along with trying to keep up with what's going on with Dad and keeping his brother's and sisters up to date.
I plan on making a huge salad and Frankie said he'll grill burgers..... I'll have a backup of chicken strips if it's too cold for grilling outside.
Tina

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:09 am

deleted posted wrong day... oops!

Return to “Chit Chat”