Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wednesday, Nov 27, Thanksgiving Eve!

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wednesday, Nov 27, Thanksgiving Eve!

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:41 am

Good morning!

After looking at the national weather map I think I'm happy to have 37* and dry! But I'll be bundling up for my walk in a while - as soon as it gets light.

Yesterday I got most of my Christmas decorations out. I had less than I'd remembered. We were gone last year and I forgot that we purged the decorations in 2017. We're going to go cut our tree on Friday, put it in water outside to suck up a good long drink and then we'll bring it in on Sunday probably. After that, we'll be done decorating. I don't plan to do much baking. We really have no one to give goodies to and WE certainly don't need it. I've lost 5# this year and I don't want to regain it back in one month! lol!

Today I need to stop by Michael's for a couple of things and Kohl's is next door so I might go see if they have a cute outfit for me to wear on NYE. We are going dancing! We used to go out all the time for NYE, or gather with our usual crowd at one or the other's house. But after our friends, Warren and Lois got so sick, we kind of let that tradition slide. So this will be the first year in a long time we've gone out. Best part is, it's only 2 miles from our house!

CAROL without an 'e' - Nice to have you stop by! I can smell those fresh cookies from her - what kind are they? Yum! You have a nice crowd coming for TG. 16# sounds like a respectable sized turkey! I remember my mom never bothered with anything under 25#. Of course, we had quite a large family. I'm #5 of 6 kids. Plus there were always "add-ons" in the crowd. Now you can't find a turkey that big.

TINA - glad you are all getting flu shots. The CDC is reporting the flu is peaking early this year (like now instead of the usual January) and it's an unusually hard strain. It takes 2 weeks to take effect. Poor little Preston. What a day he had. So glad he still has his finger! I've never heard of kids/babies being tested for lead as a routine thing. Is it just for your area?

BECCA - I was glad to hear that Brodee's surgery went well. I predict he'll be home before the end of the week. Have you heard how Hadlee is doing at home? Or should I rephrase that to ask how her parents are doing? I know you're going to be busy with Denise there and CA to care for plus cooking for TG. We'll see you again when things quiet down at your house.

JANA, that was an interesting story about how Lori Holt got her start! She's certainly talented! Sorry the fortune passed you by! :D I see the discussion on the Sew-in is about jello. We have a family recipe with green jello, cottage cheese, pineapple, Cool Whip, and walnuts. My sister has dubbed it Green Slime. It's tasty despite her name for it. lol! I I make cuts marachino cherries, not quite all the way through, and lay them out so the cuts look like poinsettia petals. If I go REALLY fancy, I cut 'leaves' from green marachino cherries. I tried a pizza once that Ethan might like: I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and cooked, diced chicken. (canned chix works well, too). And mozzarella cheese with a bit of parm on the top of that. We really liked that.

Last night we had pizza so we could test a jar of my homemade, canned pizza sauce. YUM!! We loved it! The problem is, we ate part of the gift so now I need to make and can some more. I sure hope I can duplicate it. I did write down what I did, but who knows how a second batch will turn out. But - it was good! I wish I'd put it in 12 oz jars. 8 oz isn't enough for one pizza but a pint is too much. So I may do things differently next batch.

We are wondering if Vicki's kids will take her to her DD's house for dinner . . . . She may refuse to go, though I'm sure they will try. When she was out with her son last Saturday morning, we checked the yard for stuff that would be harmful if our dog got loose. Bill looked in the kitchen window and saw a rat strolling around like he owned the place. I guess he does. (((Shudder)))

Tonite - leftover pizza for supper. I'm not making new food because I want no leftovers going into Thanksgiving. I'll be making a turkey breast with baked sweet potatoes in the jackets. We'll have brussels sprouts, rolls, and pumpkin pie. We were going to have salad, too, but just checked our "spring mix" this morning and it contains romaine from Salinas, CA, so we tossed it out. Hated to do that. We also have an e-coli outbreak in Seattle area they think from romaine but it's a separate incident from the national one. Either way - the salad is off the table!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wednesday, Nov 27, Thanksgiving Eve!

Post by auntjana » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:22 am

Good morning!

Mary - that romaine recall is here too. Iceberg will be the lettuce of choice. Our green stuff salad is really good. You dissolve the jello in milk and melted marshmellows. In another bowl, you cream, mayonaise and cream cheese, when jello is cool, mix the two together, add a small can of crushed pineapple. Then whip a pint of whipping cream very stiff and fold into the other mixture and put all into a ring mold and chill. With all those goodies in it, it does taste yummy!

Tanner will be by in awhile to sew.

Most of our snow is blowing away. Mother Nature must not have liked when she first placed it. The wind is very stiff. More to come today.

Dinner - I have some ravolas in the freezer, so they will be dinner.

Enjoy!
Jana

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:31 am

Good afternoon from (now) kind of dreary, getting windy, SW. Pa...The last couple of days have been great, weather wise, but it's coming to an end....From what "those in the know" are saying, we might get blown into the next county or state.....But, I'm snug in my little house and don't intend on leaving, for awhile.....And just as I wrote that the sun came out and it looks like spring, ah you gotta love Pa. weather...

Mary, Long gone are my years of looking for that perfect live tree...Can't remember exactly how long Jim and I were married when the "decision" was made...But, we did have some "colorful", fun times during that time, lol....And other memories were going to see Jim's brother's tree...It was always worse than a Charley Brown's tree and one year, even put an artificial tree together wrong (and these were educated people)...But, in looking back at some of my pictures, some of our's weren't exactly perfect either, lol.... I did have Terry get a big box of stuff out of the shed and I also bought a smaller (6') tree so maybe I will do some decorating, not much but some....

Becca, I can imagine the excitement in your family...Just knowing the babies are doing so well it such a blessing...Lots to be thankful for this year.....

Jana, hearing the comings and goings of your family, lots to be thankful right there....I'd say, we're all very much blessed...

I think I'm going to stay home tomorrow...Everyone has that waiting chair but I think I need another year, especially with Cindy being gone....Kevin's boys and their gals will be taking good care of him....Young Jim will be going to his daughter's and Terry and Theresa are going to her sister's...Of course Kathy and Tim have gone to Travis Air Force base and she had prepared or bought the whole meal and will cook for Tim's son and family...I can either have a chicken breast with all the trimmings or make myself a grilled cheese....
Today, I'm doing laundry, chasing a few dust bunnies and then parking in my recliner and working on my cross stitch...Tonight, Survivor is on and as dumb as the show is, I still watch, every week...I also wonder how Joanne, from Ohio, is doing, she always watched it....
I do have a small request...If you have an extra prayer laying around, I'd appreciate it...My cardio doc wasn't pleased with my EKG, has ordered another stress test and thinks I might have had a slight heart attack...Things haven't been right for about 2 weeks but you know how you always think, it will go away...Oh well, we go with the flow.....

As for dinner today, might be a poached egg and toast, and for afters, might put some jelly on that toast....

You all have a great day and a super special Thanksgiving......

Happy eating.................

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Been a busy morning here - Sarah called - Lila was running a fever, and as Sarah watched her breathing, she saw the breathing was laboring, like Ethan with a asthma attack. The little voice went off in her head - take her to the urgent care, now. So she did. Lila has pneumonia. Her blood oxygen level was 91 - they hospitalize at 90 - so we are close. Aaron met Sarah at the Urgent care and is now home with Lila. They started her on antibiotics. And she will go back tomorrow for another oxygen check. Ethan and Gracie are still here with me. Aaron is trained as well as Kate as first responders, so she is in good hands. Sarah made a good catch, as the doctor told her. Just when I think, never a dull moment, reality hits!

Tanner finished his top and we have enough backing to do a border around the top. So we will get that done and on yhe LA on Saturday.

Enjoy, and prayers too!

Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.Thanks for your friendship.

Irish Prayers for you dear friend.Praying its nothing serious.Hope you have a day filled with special good memories.Hugs

Jana Prayers for your little one that the meds work.Its scary when a child gets sick.Enjoy your family.

Maryz At least Vicky is Leaving you & Bill alone.Hope your day is special.Sure you will be watching a ballgame.

Everyone has gone to bed .Levi Called & Hadlee is doing good.A tad fussy but that’s normal.She did good her first nite home.Brodee is doing good too.Hes wth Him & Taylor with Hadlee.I do hope he gets Home soon & people don’t visit.Levi said they aren’t letting people come.I hope not.A bad stomach flu is raging here.

Denise & Mark got here & she come loaded like always.Brought me the cutest dish towel with reindeer on it,Rudolph.i got all my prepping done & will get Turkey on early.
We had roast today with rice.She brought chocolate pie,pumpkin pie & Cinnamon sticks she makes. Becca

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Good Evening,
It was hamburgers tonight for dinner. Not our healthiest meal, but I was in kitchen all day prepping after a quick run to the grocery store before 8:00 A.M. I will make pies in the morning unless I get highly ambitious in the next hour. lol I think it will simply be an early to bed night for me.

Jana - So sorry Lila is ill. It is a good thing Sarah caught it and took her in to the doctor. Hopefully, the meds work and she avoids the hospital.

Maryz - I made Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin and Chocolate-Chocolate Chip. I had already baked some coconut macaroons and still have Snickerdoodles to bake. I am out of energy and need to rest now however!

Irish - Prayers being sent your way.

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm barely sliding into my chair, more like under it! I'm so tired! I've been sewing, baking, cooking, cleaning.... you'd think today is Thanksgiving! LOL but so nice to have everyone here. Everyone got here at supper, thankfully I made the biggest crockpot of veggie beef soup, only enough left for me and Frankie to have supper or of it so i froze it.
Mary, in NM they test babies at about 1-2 months old for lead levels. The state flagged him and it popped up on the dr's computer that he hadn't been tested.
I'm trying to go back and read.
I hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving! I probably won't get to stop by but I'll be thinking of you all ❤❤
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”