Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Nov 24

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Nov 24

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 am

Good morning,

Today is my sister's birthday. I need to call and remind her - just in case she forgot. :twisted: She is now 9 years older than I am. :D

Yesterday our neighbors from across the road came over. Scottie and I walk with her and her dog, Duchess every weekday morning. They own a landscaping business and are going to do some work for us. and some of that work will be removing a BIG stump that is in the way of the new RV shelter. They came to assess the job. Then right after they left the RV shelter guy came by and looked at our spot, told Bill what he needs to do to get prepared, and kindly accepted our check for a down payment. Turns out our dads probably knew each other back in the 30;s and 40's. They were both local loggers here in G.H. But anyway, Bill ordered our shelter and it will be here in January. I just hope the snows don't beat it.

TINA - even your post sounds pooped! You never get a break, do you. You need to put out a sign "Closed on Weekends"!

JANA - there is no way to do Disneyland cheaply so Matt may as well close his eyes to the cost and enjoy it. I'm sure he knows that Christmas is the busiest day of the year in that happy place, right? Glad to hear the crumblies at your house are no more! It's a good feeling to get everything all neat and tidy once again. Bill mentioned yesterday that "we" need to purge again. I just looked at him. I already took 4 carloads of stuff to the Goodwill (all MY stuff, I might add), and now he thinks I should take more. I told him if I purge any more, he won't be happy about what I give away! lol! I like big drawers in a kitchen. We have them in the RV instead of cabinets. In the house kitchen I have cabinets but they slide out so I can reach everything. Best of all! But your hook idea sounds good!

BECCA - I like sweet potatoes as long as they are truly sweet potatoes (the pale yellow ones) and NOT yams (light orange and darker). They taste very different to us. We've noticed whenever we go to Texas, they have tons of yams, call them sweet potatoes, but there actually are no sweet potatoes like we have here. Not in the stores we shop, at least. So what do you have in NC? Your DGD must have a real talent for baking. And I do believe it is a talent. My mom had it and so does my Autumn. But not me, my other DD, Lara, or either of my sisters. We CAN bake, but it's not ribbon worthy like your DGD. What other kinds of things does she bake?

I made a pot of pizza sauce yesterday. I even followed a recipe, sort of. It tasted overly tomato-y to me so I added extra herbs and more garlic, a dash of vinegar and a bit of Worchestershire, let it simmer in the crockpot a while and then canned 3 pints. I think it will be an OK gift for someone who loves to make his own homemade pizza.

I also started hand sewing my 600+ yo yo's onto 3-1/2" strips of green fabric. Eventually the strips will go together to make a quilt top. Labor intensive, but will be a good TV/car-riding project for some time to come. Someday I'll have a quilt! And we hit Costco once again - 3rd time in a week, I think. Bill remembered he had one more gift to get - our oldest DGS, Drew. We got him a pair of snowshoes for his gift from us, but in our family name draw, Bill drew Drew so we went back and got him snow pants and gloves. NOW we're done shopping! Whew!

Supper tonite will be more split pea soup. It's my favorite soup and I could eat it 5 nights a week. But I think we'll only get 2 nights out of it. We will enjoy it while we watch the Seahawks play Philadelphia. Go Hawks!

What's YOUR favorite soup? And what's for supper tonite?

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, Nov 24

Post by Becca » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:33 am

Good morning everyone, sunny here.
Maryz We have real sweet potatoes.I have never had Yams.My Dad always grew sweet potatoes.I love them & they are good for you.
Our DGD makes cookies cakes,pies & breads.She has a real talent for baking & cooking.Shes a hard worker too.She has 3 children,so she is a busy bee.
I think we could always do with less.I know I could weed out more.But I constantly donate.

My favorite soup broccoli,veggie beef,& loaded potatoe.I am a soup lover but no green pea please.

We are having chili today. Becca
Have a wonderful day to all. Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:57 am

Good morning!

Mary - glad you tried a pizza sauce recipe. And for the new RV shelter too. Because you will now have a shelter that can handle a snow load, it isn't going to snow! Murphy's law.

Becca - have fun teaching! And playing with little ones.

Church is later. But come the first of the year, our church starting time changes to the early schedule- 9 a.m. Not looking forward to that.

Stu was waiting at our house for us to get home yesterday. We pulled in the driveway and saw the back of his car - the car registration expired in July. Stu drives a clunker, what Aaron and the troopers call, a critter car. It could be impounded because of out of date registration, so Stu is driving my Solara to work, until, we get his car registered. Hopefully Monday. He started work yesterday for Amazon. Amazon has 4 operating warehouses here in SLC with a huge fifth one under construction, not too far from us.

Not much else here. 9'ers play tonight and it is on TV - the last game of the day.

Dinner - zucchini and cucumber dipping sauce.

Enjoy,
Jana

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:39 am

Good morning!
Mary, I hope we get pics of the new shelter! I'd love to have someone redo my landscaping, my flower bed redo hasn't even started. I had ordered a ton if new bulbs to put in the new flower bed so it would be full come spring... jazmyne and me had to put them in huge pots outside yesterday so they will winter. I'm still hoping for my new beds being done in plenty of time.
I prefer the sweet potatoes over yams myself.
Becca, I started baking when I was about 12, it was my therapy. I did that so I wouldn't cause my parents grief, I always felt bad having seen what my sister put them through.
Jana, wow, you all have a hub of Amazon warehouses!
We're still deep cleaning around here. I've been pacing myself and just doing little bits each day, I don't particularly like cleaning like this either, I like getting it all done in 1 or 2 days and then being done so I can do other things, even if it includes a day or 2 to recoup.
Broncos play early today, 11. So we'll see how much cleaning gets done during that time.
I still have Jazmyne and Easton. They are good helpers 💖
I might make pizza for lunch, I have the individual stone pizza pans from Pampered Chef so i think I'll make 1 big one for me and Frankie and let Jazmyne and Easton make their own.
We may have leftover pizza for supper with a salad. My cooking skills are on semi vacation because I'll be cooking all day Wednesday and Thursday. Trying not to have any leftovers taking up space in the fridge for Thanksgiving foods to have room.
Tina

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Hi Everyone,
Happy Thanksgiving! Looks like there is much to be thankful for at Taylor and Levi's home. Great to see that Hadlee has made it home. Prayers for little Brodee!

I am preparing Thanksgiving for my brother and his family. DH took the week off work and has been doing his thing. I baked cookies this afternoon. I have more to bake. I made the dough and scooped it before Halloween. It has been waiting for me in the freezer. It is so nice to just bake instead of having to clean up messes. My plan is to give some of the cookies to my brother and family. He has two children a girl who will be married next June, and a boy. The girl who is 30 will bring her fiancé, so there will be 7 of us for dinner. I usually have them for Easter, but my SIL asked me to do Thanksgiving instead. Unfortunately it will probably be raining starting tomorrow and continuing until Friday. It has been a number of years since I made Thanksgiving dinner. My SIL is bringing the dressing and my niece is bringing a salad. I have made the cranberry sauce and relish, dinner rolls, and pie crust dough already.

As for dinner tonight I think I will check the freezer. I hope there is something in there. I have a 16 pound turkey in the refrigerator and didn't want to spend any more time in the kitchen and didn't want leftovers!!

Return to “Chit Chat”