Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Sept 17th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Sept 17th

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 am

Good morning!

Things are looking up here! We found what we think is the purrfect place for Uncle Ernie just two miles from our house. A beautiful 5-bedroom home on beautifully wooded and landscaped property once owned by friends of my parents. My dad logged it when I was a teenager. The current owners built this home to accomodate several older folks in their family and now it's an official group home. Bill and I both felt at home the minute we drove in and the owner and manager met us in the driveway. The manager and I found we have many friends in common as well as a love of quilting. She also used to work at my children's school. This setting will be kind of like living with the Golden Girls and Ernie can get PT and OT. There are lots of activities and outings. Plus home cooking right there in the home. We really feel this place was meant and if Ernie can make any improvements it will be here. He should be discharged from the hospital tomorrow.

I finished his fidget quilt yesterday, too, except for binding. I used 24 charm squares, putting a 'fidgety' thing on each square. It turned out better than I'd even hoped! Now I've started one for my DSIL in AK. After that, I'll be cleaning my sewing room before starting ANYTHING else! What a mess!!

JANA - I'm glad for Sarah. And happy she'll finally have some time to sew again. I had to look up her pattern, Irish Thistle. It's a limited edition and they only made 500 patterns, it sounds like. Did she buy the whole kit or just the pattern? Can't believe Ethan's quilt is ready for the long arm! Oh, wills and trusts and things. Kind of makes me shudder, too.

TINA -sorry/glad you got so many chilies - sorry you had to spend longer putting them up, but glad you have extras! I thought Frankie built a roaster a year or two ago, so that's why I was thinking you roasted them yourself. I roasted a few bags last year under my broiler. I left skin and stems on and cleaned them as I used them. It worked fine. I wore gloves. We buy boxes of exam gloves at Costco or the drug store. We use them in our RV but I keep some in the house just for handling chilies and peppers. Happy for your rain!! Your aunt sounds depressed. I'd put a word in her doctor's ear. Plus, is she able to do any scrapbooking? Journaling? Perhaps if you have any old pictures, especially ones that need identifying, she could put them into books for you and label them. Or write out some family history or her memories. Also, we're told this adult family home is cheaper than a skilled nursing facility, only a few residents and they are all treated more like family. Maybe she just needs a change of where she lives if she doesn't need skilled nursing care. Any word yet from your insurance company??

BECCA - So sorry to hear Brodee's LP showed infx is still there. Praying the new antibiotic clears it up and also that Hadlee starts gaining some weight. But they've successfully cleared so many hurdles already that maybe they are just resting before these next ones. They are certainly little miracles. Do you have any news yet on their eye exams?

ROSEBUD - I hate doing the paperwork of the house. I always did it in my prior lives but when we got married Bill asked if I'd mind if he could do it - that he'd never been the bill payer before. I told him to have at it! After almost 30 years he's tried to give them back to me a few times, but I said no way! I'm finally free! So what breakfast meal did you make for supper? Breakfast is my favorite supper. When my mom made supper pancakes she would add corn to the batter or cooked diced bacon or shredded cheese. Or all three! YUM!

We finally got to our spaghetti last night. I still have a lot of sauce and meatballs, so we'll probably have it again tonite. Those now Mary Rose has me thinking pancakes and eggs . . . . We'll see what The Boss wishes when the time comes.

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Tuesday, Sept 17th

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:11 am

Good morning!
Mary, the place you found for uncle Ernie sounds perfect! He's a lucky uncle to have Bill and you in his corner ❤
No news yet from the Dr's office, ugh...I'm ready to call his office girls and give them a piece of my mind, it's totally their screw up. The hospital called yesterday and is trying to get them to do their jobs so the tests can be done. By the time I have any tests either nothing will be there or I'd be dead with his office staff handling it.
We don't have a clue about anything with Frankie's aunt, we just visit......and see. It's really bothering me, she's on my mind a lot and I'm really concerned, just some background....she's probably pretty well off, They were one of the biggest castle feed lots and cattle growers and farmers here in the county, her husband was a State Representative for many many years, all their kids are very well off, she was born in the original Remondini homestead that's still standing and in very very good shape, they could've gotten a full time caregiver to go to the house for what this place is charging, even one of Frankie's sisters said she'd gladly get paid that and stay and take care of their aunt full time. I think aunt Jody hit the nail on the head when she said "when you get old, nobody wants you", it just breaks my heart. Everything is in a trust and they vote on everything so her 7 kids have put her there so they don't have to be bothered. I'll step down of my soapbox now, sorry to go on and on about it.
Becca, prayers for the babies. I sure pray Brodee responds well to the new antibiotics!
MaryRose, I have to do all the bill paying here too, I hate it! Frankie doesn't want the job either. I think we're do for breakfast for supper, our chickens are laying good and we're getting behind in eating eggs LOL I need to find some recipes that use lots of eggs!
Most likely we're having breakfast for supper, yay!
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:53 am

Good morning!

Mary - happy dance, you did good in funding the perfect place for Uncle Ernie. And have the quilt done too.

Tina - be that squeaky wheel and bug the office staff! I have a few chilies frozen from our local grocery store. The farm that Sarah once ran, grows them for that store. I love that smell of those chilies!

Becca - I can hardly believe that the twins are almost 7 weeks old. It seems like yesterday they got here. Praying to get the meds right and that they become little chunky monkees!

Dinner - still awaiting breakfast here, plenty to choose from, so we will see what falls out of my freezer.

After breakfast, I will head to play in the Batt Cave.

Enjoy,
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:20 am

Hello everyone,sunny here,I posted earlier but it’s not here.First time I ever had that happen.
Maryz Eye exams were both normal.Just Praying That the new antibiotic works & Hadlee starts gaining & is chunky Monkies like Jana says.lol
So happy for Uncle Ernie.That sounds like a fantastic place.

Rosebud I love Breakfast any time but especially for supper.

Tina Its Sad many old people are forgotten about.Lots of younger people don’t want to be bothered.Sure your Aunt would do well in one.Years ago there was one in our Town & the Lady that ran it treated them like family.
I wear gloves every since I burned my hands once with pepper.Do hope you soon hear from that Drs office.So many today have no clue how to do their job.

Jana Sure Glad The Fire got under control.Thats scary.

Got laundry done,walk in & some apples.We have leftovers from Martys meal last nite.
Becca

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:45 am

Good afternoon from a gorgeous Fall day in SW. Pa....Doesn't get much better! And, I've been MIA but contrary to what Mary said about me sobbing in the corner about the Steeler loss, I've just been on the go, lol....
I did indeed spend Sunday with Mary, watching the game and yes, her team the SeaHawks won and I was happy for her...I'm really not too much of a Steeler fan any more BUT, now we have this new young up and coming quarterback, I might have to start watching again...Big Ben is out for the season and this young wipper snapper is stepping up to the plate or yard line. He did look good on Sunday...But, I did enjoy our Sunday, all the messages flying back and forth was great....
AND Mary, so happy you and Bill found a home and are so comfortable with it...It does sound perfect...As the rest have said, Uncle Ernie is very, very lucky to have you 2...And to get his quilt done so fast, sure hope you post a picture before you give it to him...Remember the one you and Chickie made for Jim? I'm still amazed at all the things that was on that quilt....I have it safely put away but do get it out and finger it myself, every once in awhile....

Becca, Glad to hear the eye tests were good but just maybe the twins are taking a rest from all the fighting but you'll see, they'll be back giving it their all, real soon....I also can't believe it's been 7 weeks, my heavens, where has the time gone.....

Tina, I understand completely about being frustrated with doctor's offices...AND there is no reason, with all the conveniences, they should be much quicker these days....It really is sad for some of those in nursing/personal care homes...I remember when I'd visit with my Mom and seeing so many who never had a visitor, just forgotten...But, as your aunt said, when you get old......Would be great if everyone had a "Mary and Bill"....

Jana, Was just thinking, Ethan is like Mary with the quilts...They have them done and ready for the long arm before I can even decide on a pattern or fabric...Be sure to post a picture (with Ethan) when it's done...

After running all day yesterday, I made up my mind, I was not leaving the house today...The laundry is almost done, sheets are on the line and hopefully back on my bed before it's time to crawl in...I had decided, I needed some kind of drying thingie to put on the patio instead of toting my basket up to the line..So, found a rack at Aldi and have it set up out back...Might be just the ticket..Of course the sheets still went on the line but from now on, this is it! Silly little things get me so excited, lol....
Then, being outside, I started emptying the tomato and some flower pots and getting things ready to put in the shed...Seems, I just dragged these same things out! I need to get things done before I leave on Sat. I have a feeling when I do get back, the running isn't going to stop....

As for dinner, not sure...I did boil some eggs so maybe egg salad....

You all have a great day..........

Happy eating...........

Did anyone happen to notice, Notre Dame played on Sat.????? Kind of a runaway, 66-14 but a very good game....I also have a feeling, Jim was up there in heaven on the 50 yard line cheering them on with all his Irish buddies...And of course he was wearing his ND shirt and a huge smile....Miss him so much!

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:10 pm

I'm back! 😊 I've been studying and watching videos and on Pinterest looking at fidget quilts. I've got a charm pack laid out and so many ideas going around in my head! At least with the charm pack I don't have to measure and cut and stand up too much 😊 I'm also going to use my embroidery machine and make some little surprises under flaps! I'm hopefully going to get it done to give to her this weekend! She's also always cold so I'm going to make her a quilted shawl thing, that I don't have quite straight in my head yet but 1 thing at a time, right. I'm not sure if I have enough little busy things to put on the fidget quilt but I have connections hehe Holly; nothing like having an elementary teacher in the family! 😉
Well I just wanted to let you all know that I have a plan now and feel very motivated!
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”