Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Sept 5th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Sept 5th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:42 am

Good morning,

Last evening was cooler - the first where we needed to add overshirts while eating supper on the deck. And this morning it's a couple degrees cooler, too. Sigh. Almost time to get the pumpkins out.

Yesterday I finished putting together a quilt top for a friend who deserves a quilt simply because she is such a good person to so many people. This morning I'll piece the backing, go for my walk, then off to get a massage. This afternoon my plan is to take it easy, let the massage do its work, and I'll read or work on sorting out my recipe box. I have a photo storage box jammed fill of recipes I'll never use. I looked for my chili relleno recipe quite a while yesterday, finally gave up and made a ham & potato thing in the crockpot instead. As soon as I got that going, I found the recipe I was looking for! Arghh! I might get in a load or two of laundry today, too.

We got a call from Ernie's doctor. After 5 weeks in the hospital Ernie is making no progress and the medicos see little hope that his mind will recover. He is deep into dementia now. He refuses to eat, has trouble swallowing, and they can find no reason why. Ernie has health care directives in place that state he wants no tube feedings, no drugs for the purpose of merely keeping him alive, no CPR. So the doctor says now their goal is to "keep him comfortable". I think we all know what that means. Bill is going to visit him this morning and then meet a locksmith at Ernie's house to have the locks all changed.

MARY ROSE - always nice to have you stop by the table! Yes, there's nothing like those Hatch chilies! Does your local store not stock them? We get them here sometimes but not like you can find them in NM when in season! Yum! Tina's taught me a lot about chilies.

BECCA - it's going to be an exciting day when the twins come off the vents! Their progress has been amazing! Your Denise and Mark are so devoted to you! How blessed you are! And how blessed THEY are! :) What kind of squash was Denise saute'g with those onions? Neither of us are big on summer squash but a neighbor gave us a couple of big yellow ones. Maybe with onions they'd be OK . . .

IRISH - oh yes, sitting on our deck listening to Vicki's 'music' is pure gold! lol!! But it is nice sitting with our boys. Foxy isn't a lap cat, but he does like to snuggle up to you. He prefers you to sit in the swing with him and gently set it to rocking. Well, should I pray for your hip problem to come back or not?? I sure don't want you to miss out on seeing Dr. Hunk! I doubt my chili relleno recipe is the same as Tina's. In fact, I have about 4 of them. Hence my need to weed out my recipe box. Pennsylvania has mountains???

JANA - haha! funny about Scottie burying the parts to his new bathtub! But we found them all, and everything is in working order now. We even have a spray attachment we can add so he can have a shower, too! Though we just got a coupon from the groomer so maybe we'll make him a beauty appointment for after our camping trip which is first week of October. Your Aaron - he really needs to keep a detailed journal and someday write a book - My Days with the USP. A Live PD in print!

Well, since I couldn't find my recipe yesterday I found another one for potatoes and ham in the crockpot. Being one to always go rogue, I subbed basil chicken ring sausage for the ham. It was good and smelled so yummy all day while it cooked. I made a salad and we feasted. Today I think I'll add some peas to the leftovers and reheat. Then tomorrow I'll make my chili relleno casserole. I think I'll stop at the grocery store and pick up some veggies for salad. All I have left is lettuce.

Have you come up with an idea for supper tonight?

FarmChick

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Sept 5th

Post by FarmChick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:59 am

Good morning! I’m going to try this once again. I seem to be technically challenged in getting anything to post, even trying several times. It’s getting to be a colossal waste of time.

Things are going along here… one day at a time. We had a busy weekend. I met my DD to go to a quilt show and spend the day together at the Little Balkans Festival where she lives. Imagine our surprise when DGD, DGS and his GF decided to join us and hang with us all day! They didn’t make it through all the quilt show, but the GF was intrigued. I think she would have stayed with us but the pull of the others overcame her desire to stay at the quilts. The guild must have had a bunch of one block wonder workshops, as there were a bunch of different quilts made with that method. It was fun to see, as I really like doing those! I didn’t buy much at the vendors—didn’t need it, at all. I got a big spool holder for my Featherweight and another ¼” foot as I gave one to my DD when she got her machine. (Now, if only she would use it!) We met up with the kids again and went to lunch and the craft fair in the park. It was a great day! Since the kids are getting older (DGS is 20 now), time with them is precious!

Sunday night was the street dance. A good time was had by all.

Yesterday I mowed in town with DH, then walking Ava with the Hooligans and working on my little cow quilt. I’m quilting on it now. I hope the new mom loves it as much as I do! Today I’m heading to town to sit with Mom so my sister and BIL can go out to lunch. Then it will be bath day.

We are hot and sticky! The humidity is dangerous with the heat. A football player at Joplin HS collapsed and died in the heat yesterday.

Mary—so sorry that Ernie has gone down so suddenly. Sounds like with his hospitalization that he just lost his will to live. It’s one of the medical mysteries.

I did the spray attachment to my laundry sink when I had one for my little dog. It was so handy! She was a good girl and was very patient (unlike the Hooligans).

The only Hatch chiles we get here are in cans and infrequently at that. I do buy them when I see them.

Irish—Love the “Dr. Hunk”! I’d be checking him out too. I saw your bear, and I can only imagine what the Hooligans would think if he came in our yard. They would bark, try to be friends, and probably Boomer and/or Odie would be bear dinner.

Jana—hope none of the cattle were harmed when their trailer floor broke through! That could have been disastrous with broken legs….

Mary Rose—great to see you!!!

Well, I’m hoping that this will post when I try. I’m getting tired of working at posting, then… zip.

Have a great day! I’d like to have to add a light jacket here. We are going for 90 today, but the heat index is in the 100s range with the humidity.

Dinner tonight… I have no idea. Maybe pulled pork sandwiches. I might go get something from the freezer before I go to town. Or… maybe carryout Chinese???

Bon appétit!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:45 am

Good morning!

Michael is mowing and I am here playing - good deal in my book!

The little girls will be here this afternoon and here at dinnertime too. Guess I have to cook. Banned noodle cassarole is a favorite, so that will be our dinner. I have some fresh green beans too. A Lila favorite. Peanut butter cookies for a treat.

I may get to sew while Lila naps this afternoon. Gracie can play in the Batt Cave. I have crayons and princess coloring pages down there.

Michael has been packing up a table full of things that were his Dad's. Finally! Awhile ago, a long while ago, his sister, the good one, was here and helped him sort through and took home what she wanted. The other siblings had gone through all the stuff before the home was sold here in Utah and took everything. So there are just a few odds and ends left that we are dealing with. I get the question, what is this and answer and most of what is here is either missing pieces or broken. One good thing is that we have all the family pictures/slides. The other two didn't want them. We are going to have the pictures digitally saved and make copies for us and the good sister.

Well, better get going,

Enjoy,
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:46 am

Hello everyone,hot here again,longing for cooler temps.
My DGD got out of School 3 hrs early due to storm approaching.She lives in Chapel Hill closer to beach.She was happy.She teaches,
Got my shots & Groceries & donated clothes at thrift shop.
Came home cleaned bathrooms,dusted,now on break before doing floors.

We enjoyed Denise & Mark.We are thankful to have them.She bright Her Dad lots of chocolate candy & lots of Boost.He drinks it now when he isn’t hungry.

We are so thankful Brodee & Hadlee Are continuing to make progress.They are fighters for sure.We will be so thankful when they get all those wires off & ventilator.

Maryz Sure Sorry to hear about Uncle Ernie But I believe in respecting their wishes.So Nice Of you & Bill to step in & help.But that is what you always do.Hugs to you both.And thanks for our babies well wishes.You Know much more that me But I feel for all they have been thru they are responding well.
We used Summer Squash With spring onions.They are delicious fixed like that.

Chickie That’s horrible about the boy dying from the Heat.I think it’s ridiculous they let them get out in the heat to practice.My brothers,son,& DGS All did it too.
Know your cow quilt is so cute.

Jana I love the term good sister.lol Hope all the cattle was ok & Aaron Too.Enjoy your little girls.

MaryRose Love having you join us.Hope all is well with you.

Irish I see you are still talking about Mr Hunk.There are beautiful Mts in PA.We looked yesterday at a presentation of pictures that my DGS made up of Denise & Marks trip across USA.There were great pictures of PA. We have traveled in your State for Vacation one year.Saw lots of History,Amish country,& beautiful scenery.

I must get on floor cleaning.Havea great day everyone.We will have leftovers or a tomato sandwich with corn on the cob. Becca
Our oldest DGS CA Called .They are coming for the week end to spend the night & be here Saturday and Sunday.
Our DGD Just Called & Sawyer Tallulah & Wren are coming to visit.Guess it will be fun.
Last edited by Becca on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:20 am

No cows were injured in the incident. Just provided good moooving stories.

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:50 pm

:?: :? Let me try this again...

Good afternoon. This morning I forgot to get something out of the freezer to thaw, soooo choices are to see if I have anything easily thawed or order out.

As for the Hatch chilis, yes our grocery stores carry them canned and frozen. In a pinch I do buy them from the grocery store. However, in years past I always made a trip down south to Hatch/Deming to get fresh chilis and roast/freeze them myself. Finances and vacation times just haven't coincided the last couple years so I could make the road trip. Now my chili supply has been depleted.

Mary/Rosebud

Return to “Chit Chat”