Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, August 18

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, August 18

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 am

Good Sunday morning!

This is pre-coffee, so bear with me! Sometimes when I read what I wrote without coffee, I wonder what was going through my head!

Yesterday I almost finished my queen sized Red/White/Black quilt. Today - just the borders and it will be a Ta-Da!! moment! Then I'll clean up my sewing room. I haven't trashed it as badly as I usually do but it still needs quite a bit of attention. Tonite our Seattle Seahawks are playing Mary Q's MN Vikings in a pre-season game. We, of course, have a little side-bet going . . ;) Go Hawks! Speaking of Mary Q, did you see she is going to get Secret Santa up and running this week? She is already accepting names of people who want to participate.

No word from any of Vicki's kids regarding the rats. We watched for them yesterday and they didn't visit their mom. Maybe today. Could be they already know about the problem. I mean really - with all the food garbage she has been tossing out for the past 4 years, either for composting or for feeding 'wildlife', it was only a matter of time before the rats showed up, right? We do notice, though, that the yard has been cleaned up the last 3 times we've inspected. Only a few KFC containers last week and egg shells this week. And I saw an unfamiliar man in a pick-up there a few days ago. He was only there a few minutes and when he left, he was carrying something in a red plastic bag. Maybe a dead rat? Perhaps he was an unmarked externintor? The kids did buy her a composting bin but she never used it. Instead she dismantled it, and shoved the pieces into the engine compartment of her car which is parked and moldering at the edge of the back woods. This week we will file another report with APS. It won't help but it's all we can think to do because health dept and code enforcement won'd do anything. Plus, we stocked up on rat traps!

Tomorrow they come to start laying our new floors! Yay!! It will take most of the week, we're told. Today Bill is going to remove our hot water heater so until they finish the flooring, we'll be showering in the trailer and using paper dishes in the house.

IRISH - yeah, your idea of alerting the local media for a story on next door has occurred to us. We are suffering from compassion fatigue (we just learned about that and now it's our catch phrase around here!) and don't really care any more if the family is embarrassed or not. Except for about an hour a week, they ignore their mom. Not that she hasn't brought it on herself . . . You really had a blow-out birthday! I'd have been there myself if the cake had been vanilla . . . :D A whole box of Sno-balls?? You lucky!! And the eagles are returning to their nest? For a second go-round this year? do they usually do that?

BECCA - good news on the twins. Let's hope they keep it up. Caring for CA keeps you on your toes. My DB didn't need oxygen, but he didn't walk well. And his Parkinsons meds caused hallucinations. Whenever my SIL left him alone the hallucinations would take over and he'd end up falling and breaking a bone or taking a walkabout and getting lost. So either someone had to stay with him or he had to go along. It's a full-time job, being a caretaker.

Our pizza last night was good and we have the second half for tonite. We stocked up on fresh veggies so salad will be on the menu, too. Happy suppertime!

Irishgram

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, August 18

Post by Irishgram » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:35 am

Good afternoon from a very sunny, rather warm, (going to 90) very summery, SW. Pa....This really is the 1st year I can remember having so many warm days but also having so much, heavy, rain....It has been weird.....Normally, by this time of year, the grass is beginning to turn brown, much to the mower's delight, but this year, it's still green as ever and growing almost as you watch...Jim used to love when the grass turned and then laugh at those who had sprinklers and watered daily.....

Mary, I understand about the compassion....I hope when I get "old and senile" I have a neighbor like you...Not that I'm not old now and that senile part might be creeping up quickly...Vicki and her kids are lucky you do watch out for her, some one else wouldn't be so nice....With the eagles, in Florida, this is the time they get started on their nest, get it ready for those eggs and a whole new season...Up here they get started much later and then we have the hatches in the middle of winter...(Our eagles are tough, especially when you see the momma sitting on her eggs while covered with snow, lol)....
I did have a good birthday, very good in fact...AND of course Baby Girl made out also...Cari sent "me" an electric cat water dish (looks like a fountain)...It's really neat but of course Baby Girl was afraid of it and had to approach it thinking it wouldn't see her...But, she does love it and now, I don't have water all over the floor from her trying to make ripples in the water by moving the dish around...I also think the birds would just love it but I don't think she's willing to share....

Not sure what I'm going to be doing today...I did talk to my sister and I actually might have another day off...With all her kids near by and her having a pool, there's lots of folks to keep her company...She did tell me, they had to take her off a new pain pill because she's allergic...She's allergic to morphine and this was to act the same way but with different ingredients but, she broke out in hives...I had mentioned to her daughter about her seeming a little depressed and really not wanting to eat and it probably had something to do with the pill...She did sound much better last night...Always something but it will get better.....
Haven't done much thinking about dinner but I think there might still be some left overs in the fridge..AND we do know I have snowballs for afters....I'm really going to have to hide them, from myself and from Terry when he stops over...When he was away at college, I used to send him cases, those and the noodles, lol....
And speaking of Terry, he and DW, Theresa are leaving for Texas on Thursday for Nick's graduation...I did get to see the AF band and Terry pointed out Nick...Oh boy, he looked so grown up, so handsome in his uniform...Really brought out the tears and the goosebumps...I just keep thinking how proud Jim would be....
Well, think I'm going to hit the front porch with my book or cross stitching and see what the rest of the day brings...Nice and quiet now but you just never know who might come up with some surprised.....

You all have a great day.....Many prayers for those little miracles and all those who are in need.....

Happy eating........

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:08 pm

Good afternoon!

Home from church and have my feet up in my comfy recliner! I put dinner in the crockpot before we left for church. It will be a korean beef dish iver basmati rice. Salad on the side.

Mary - along with Irish's thinking, is there a group for people with Vicki's illness or a support group that you could contact. They may have ways to get the help needed circumventing all the laws that are in the way. I am rooting with MaryQ!

Irish - love those snowballs! Shortly the orange marshmellow ones will be out!

Tina - my grocery store started the Saturday roasting of hatch chiles! I bought a bunch and they are now in my freezer. The farm Sarah worked for, grows them locally. More to come!

May head downstairs to sew, we will see...

Enjoy!
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Hello everyone,late here.We have had internet woes.
Maryz You & Bill are great neighbors & compassionate.If the media gets involved you get action.Hope Uncle Ernie finds a suitable place.

Irish Glad your day was so special.Sure That was a proud moment to seeNick

Jana Enjoy your game.Anxious to seeEthans quilt.

Twins are having good days & nites.We are Praying their scans tomorrow will be normal.Thanks for your prayers and love.Levi & Taylor are very appreciative

We had Grilled steak Kabobs over .rice. Becca

Return to “Chit Chat”