Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Aug 15th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Aug 15th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:05 am

Good morning!

The little rooster next door is warming up his vocal cords. I love hearing him crow. With all the building going on around us, he brings back memories of the rural, farmy countryside I grew up in just 2 miles away.

Yesterday I spent quite a bit of time in my sewing room, working on my black/white/red queen quilt. It's kind of a medallion quilt and I finally figured out my center. I'll get the main part of the top together today and then start pondering the borders. I'm running low on the white I'm using and will have to do some tight figuring.

Bill stumbled into Vicki-land yesterday. He had the tractor parked on our cement pad right outside our shop. He'd been working on it the day before and went out to finish and Vicki was sprinkling it! It was soaked! The seat, the exposed parts, all of it! Bill was furious - he so rarely loses his temper. He read her the riot act and she stood and probably didn't listen to a word, but pretended to record him with an old flip phone that we know didn't work. (she has broken every phone the kids have ever given her). There was still smoke coming out of his ears when he came inside to tell me about it! lol! He finished with the tractor and moved it away from that location. Then he pulled the washer/dryer/laundry tub out to the garage and removed the door going from house to garage. (a new one is supposed to arrive today or tomorrow). I did a little bit of wood stacking, but only about 1/2 hour. I think today Bill is removing the vanity and toilet from the bathroom and disconnecting the plumbing from our clawfoot tub. We will jack it up, put sliders under its feet so it can just be slid back and forth as the new tile floor is laid.

Yesterday the docs removed the staples from Uncle Ernie's hip incision and it opened up. Got infected. Sigh. So looks like he'll be in the hospital a little longer. His surgery was July 31st. We haven't seen him since last Monday. I have to say, so far I'm not impressed with this hospital.

TINA - word around the Club is that YOU SEWED!! Yay for you! Doesn't it feel good! Glad you got some time in at your machine. We don't often reach even 90* but in the rare years that we have more than one day that hot, I used to tape newspapers over the windows (or keep insulated curtains closed). It really helped to keep the house cooler. No A/C in most homes here. Glad you're feeling better. I once had a friend who had Bell's Palsy. She never mentioned feeling tired from it, but her face did droop for over a year. I wonder if something is going on with Preston like an inability to process wheat or some other basic food. My DDIL, Emily, was always sick, too, and finally her doctor did some tests and found out she can't process any wheat, eggs, soy, or walnuts. I have to be careful when cooking for her.

BECCA - your twins are making good strides. I didn't realize that Brodee had a chest tube. Glad it's out now and we'll hope he doesn't earn another. It seems it's always 1 step forward and 2 steps back. But so far, from what you are able to report, they are having a fairly usual course. So nice to hear Mom and Dad were able to hold them! We usually predicted our babies would go home around their due date. Fingers crossed and hands folded in prayer!

JANA - that drone sounds like a lot of fun! And they pay him to play with it! lol! Oooh, lamb chops. A no-no here though you go ahead. I had a pet lamb named Suzie, and yes, she followed me everywhere, though not to school. I could never eat a Suzie.

I have leftover chicken cacciatori (dang! I tried 3 times and still can't spell it!) and I think I might turn it into an Italian casserole of some kind (because I can spell casserole!). And we'll have the last of the fresh veggies in a salad. Guess a shopping trip will be in order tomorrow.

And your supper will be . . .?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Aug 15th

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 am

Good morning!
Oh goodness Mary I sure feel for Bill and his tractor with Vicky happening to it. Preston I think had a cold sore in his mouth, maybe? I also wonder about all that dental work he had done 2 years ago, he's got all silver teeth and they don't check anything with any of that.
Frankie made a salad last night, I was too loopy to tell him what I wanted by the time he came in from putting the riding lawnmower back together. He's been working on it for a week or more and the gas tank had to be replaced and something about the tansaxkle? I had a bad evening but I slept good and then had a hard time waking up even with my alarm playing Pandora. I'll be glad for Frankie to be home the next 3 days, I'm not feeling too confident in being here by myself with Preston. Mary, I'm wondering if I've got something else going on besides the Bell's Palsy or totally misdiagnosed. My face was only a little droopy and hurt but these shakes and not being balanced and the total exhaustion is driving me nuts! I do keep my phone with me so just in case.
We got nice rains last night, maybe that's why I slept so good.
I did put a big roast with everything in the crock pot this morning so I don't have to worry about supper.
Becca, prayers for the babies. Those tiny baby steps of improvement are wonderful to hear ❤
Jana, I have a book of skinnies I want to do too, they sure are cute!
Chickie, how is your mom doing?
Irish, how is your sister doing?
I know I'm missing people, sorry my brain has fog on it I think.
Oh I sewed a little too much yesterday LOL I have to take 4 seams out.
I was watching MSQC tutorial for a tree skirt this morning, Kevin wants a tree skirt for Christmas so I'm going to see if I can get that one made.
Tina

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:50 am

Good (late) morning here! We are going to have another warm day, although yesterday was nicer than the day before. One evening I tried to walk when the heat index was 105 at 7:30 p.m.! I only made about half a mile; it was just too darn hot and humid!

Tina asked about Mom. She’s doing well—just requires the assistance with everything. The puzzle books for challenged eyes are a real boon in keeping her occupied and not so bored. It’s funny watching her work on them, as she has never had any interest in puzzles or games. Ever. I go for bath day today, and I’ll be in on Saturday for mom sitting as well.

Mary—I miss my chickens and my rooster! There is something comforting about hearing the rooster wake up the morning. Sometimes it helps to vent and to confront the perp (if she is unarmed). It may even scare her off for a few days. I know it’s hard when you know she is mentally impaired, but still she may have a little comprehension.

Tina—good to hear you are feeling better, although it sounds like ups and downs. Hope you can get checked out from stem to stern and see if you do have something else going on. It feels good to get in a little sewing, too! Therapy! Relieves stress, and I think Bell’s is exacerbated by stress. You need lots of stress-relieving therapy! Maybe you could do a little diet testing with Preston by eliminating different foods. A tree skirt would be a fun project! And the skinnies!

Becca—good news with the twins! Know everyone is pulling for them! I never got to hold my DD until the day before she got dismissed to go home. Things were certainly different 50+ years ago! She had no tubes—just a little warmed isolette for three weeks.

Jana—you know what they say about boys and their toys… Sounds like the drone is both tool and toy!

Irish-- Hope all is going well in your world and that your sister is making good progress. How's Emma Rose doing?

I’m working on the cow blocks. This will be for a boy great-great-grandbaby. I have five out of nine made. I miscalculated from my original idea, and now this quilt will be quite a bit larger than I’d planned for a baby quilt. So, you know what that means—an additional smaller quilt!!! My mind races continually with ideas. I just wish my cutter and sewing machine went that fast! I'll be making girl quilts too. Have I mentioned that I love making baby things?

Dinner tonight—DH has choices of surf or turf. I have some soup; I might see how it tastes cold rather than hot. We won’t starve. It’s time to go walk Ava…

Bon appétit!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Good afternoon!

I am here I am here! Finally! Michael worked his majic with the tech at CenturyLink, our internet provider and after about a hour back and forth, they finally got QIAD site to answer the server request. They did a bunch of technical stuff and got it running for me again! Thank goodness Michael knows all about the technical side of a computer - what I know would be to pick it up and throw it out the window! LOL

Dinner is a couple of possibilities - rerun of last night or rerun of the night before. Both the sets of ingredients are in the refrig. We will see what happens. Or I could introduce a new variable - potato cheese soup. I bought a package of Bear Creek Soup mix - one broccoli cheddar and one potato cheese. The broccoli cheddar was very nice and quick. We are trying them out to add to our food storage - they are just add water, so in a emergency, they would be good to use.

Mary - Even with letting Vicki have a earful from Bill, he still exercised patience. You both handle somuch stuff from her with lots of patience! The last of the big stuff is out - a good thing. After you get it all emptied, you might decide not to bring back so much. Sorry to read about Uncle getting a infection, but that may be a blessing, as it gives you more time to work out arrangements.

Becca - the good news keeps coming and they got to hold those precious bundles.

Chickie - I should give you the directions on how to make a crib sheet - they are so simple and easy. I will work out the instructions and type them up so I can be understandable - I make them out of flannel and everyone loves them. A friend in California made them as a shower gift in my Ward and I learned from her.

Tina - I, too had a friend who had Bell's Palsy, but she kept most of the problems to herself. The only reason most of us knew was the droop in her face. Hope and prayers for you to gain your energy back. Watching a little one is tiring!

I had Cup and Pint last night. Gracie was a great little helper. Normally she is a pill, but it must be something in the water - Ethan too has been very helpful. Lila is Grandpa's girl and follows him everywhere, so if he goes out of he area, she fusses until he comes back.

Michael built some display risers for me last night. I put my collection of roosters on the top of my kitchen cabinets, but the crown moulding hides about 5 inches of my roosters. So Michael built some wooden risers, so now they sit above the moulding. I have been after him for a time, several months now to do that and get my new ceramic rooster up there. He built extras, so now I guess that I need to find some more roosters - LOL!

Time to scoot,
Enjoy,
Jana

Return to “Chit Chat”