Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Aug 8

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Aug 8

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:21 am

Good morning,

Sorry I didn't make it yesterday. Anyone could have started Supper Club - no rules against THAT! :lol: I had to skate out of here early yesterday and wasn't back for a while and then got right into cooking, arranging tables/chairs, trash can, etc. for our outdoor party. I also had to quickly clean out the two flowerbeds flanking the party spot in the yard and rake the grass which took me about 45 minutes. Then one couple got the time messed up and arrived 2 hours early. I was still in my raggy yard clothes and had more food prep to do. Bill & Bob were both napping. This was couple who arrived 1/2 hour late last week for "an afternoon glass of wine" - and then stayed until 9:30pm. I hope someone gets them a clock for Christmas! Then, after supper was all over last night and half the folks had drifted over to the fire she looks at all the leftovers and then turns to me and suggested, seriously, that I do it all again tonite!! I just looked at her, smiled, and said maybe SHE ought to do it. Her response was "oh, I have too much going on at my house". HA!! I guess she hadn't been inside MY house yet!

They are nearly done with the demolition phase. Just the closet carpet, I think needs to com up and then I believe the guys may make a dump run. We can do the rest next week. So my dresser is in the garage, we have no doors left except the bathroom. I took a shower and almost had to go out to Bob's trailer, wake him from a nap, and ask him where my bras were 'cuz he was in charge of dresser drawers! lol! And so it goes. Bill says "pretend we're camping'. :D

BECCA - first of all - the twins? Every day is so important for them. What you described in the sew-in yesterday sounded like they have VSD's (ventricular septal defect), a not uncommon problem with preemies in which a valve in their heart, essential to prenatal blood flow, doesn't close as it should automatically at birth. Meds may correct this. If not, then a quick little surgical procedure can. Much has changed in the years since I worked NICU so today's methods may be a bit different. I started off my morning with a little prayer for them and their parents.

JANA - I know things are hopping at your house with Ethan there while Sarah is at camp. Aren't you driving up there today with him and Joseph?

CHICKIE - how did your bone density test go? One of the easiest tests of all, don't you think? Plus you got to do some fun things with Shelly! Glad you are finished quilting the quilt for your friend. Now on to BABY SEWING!

TINA - Now Easton is out of school again?? But Jaz is going back? I have to say, I don't understand your school calendar. Has it always been like this or is this a "new and improved" schedule? Any break in your weather in sight?

IRISH - I believe today is your sister's surgery so saying a prayer for her, too! I suspect you will be at the hospital and maybe at her house for a few days post op . . . Any baby news yet?

LORI - if you stop by today - HOWDY!

CAROL - what's happening at your house today?

Last night we had a major taco-fest here with 10 people and have enough leftovers to feed everyone again! But I'm not planning on that, no matter what my friend suggested! :lol: However, one of the other couples did invite us and Bob & Betsy to their house - at first for lunch today, then for just an hour in the afternoon, then for supper, then they said they'd call us. haha! I run with a squirrely group! Makes me wonder what I'd think if I could step outside the group and look at my own quirks! (yes, my helpful sisters are quick to point out that I do have them. Gotta love sisters.) So, supper here tonite will either be leftover tacos or ?? I love surprises!

How about you?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Aug 8

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:24 am

Good morning!
Praying for the babies and their mom and dad Becca.
Mary, wow you had quite the day and evening! My mouth hung open at your friends suggestion and then response, wow crazy!
Looks like our 100* heats are staying, they keep saying rain is trying to visit but so far we just have the humidity which makes it so unbearable. In the coolest part of the house yesterday it was 79, I feel wilted.....not fun anytime but especially when I'm not feeling good.
All 3 kids are here till the 13th then Easton and Jazmyne go back to school for what they're calling "the regular school year". No it hasn't always been this way but we have a nut job as a governor and she's doing all this. Poor Holly is really sick sick and it's mandatory that she goes these 5 days that all the kids are off or she'll get in major trouble, maybe even written up, their "contracts" say they get 12 sick days a year but if they take more than 6 they could lose their jobs, it used to be more than 3 in a year and They carry over but I don't know why other than maternity leave which only a few use and after they're done having kids....then what?! They think that if teachers are out sick that the subs can't teach them and it's the teachers fault that the kids aren't learning when in reality it's the parents not giving a care about their kids and not feeding them at home, not teaching them anything at home, not spending time with them but the parents sure go buy their cigarettes, tattoos, drugs, alcohol, cell phones and party and sleep while the kids do without and go hungry and try to just survive. I just don't understand all this passing the blame/responsibility stuff.....how can it be teachers faults when kids go to school so tired and hungry that they can't concentrate or if they need extra time with flashcards the parents won't take 10 minutes in the evening to help their kids. See a sore subject with me. I'm stepping down off my soapbox now.
I'm not sure what's for supper, we do have leftover chili rellenos but Wowzer are they HOT! Frankie might want them but I'm not sure I do 😊
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:24 am

Good morning!

Tina - oh we face that same thing here too. My Sandee teaches SPED - special education and faces those challenges as well as the parents that are sue everything just to get special treatment because their child isn't being taught one on one. Poor Sandee pulls out her hair helping these children. Many are severely handicapped and barely can function in a school setting, but she tries very hard to help them. And does a wonderful job.

Mary - what, make a invitation, then recsind it, because she is busy? My oh my, you are a gracious host and I am sure you smiled sweetly, not saying a word! Sounds like you need a suitcase packed with necessities! With a map to where things are.

It is raining and we leave in about a hour to go up to camp. Sarah texted and said everything is going very well with the food. Today, the Bishop and his counsellors are coming up to camp and will fix a bbg for everyone in camp. She comes home tomorrow. Sarah will break down her kitchen in the morning, pack up and be here in the afternoon.

Still working on my October wall hanging. Thought I would be smart and mark and lay all the pieces to make my half square triangles. Well I didn't need all that I marked, so reread the directions and did it right. So they are sewn, trimmed and ready to assemble into a maple leaf block. Three sizes, large, medium and small. Project for this afternoon.

Made a very yummy dinner the other night. Stacked chicken enchiladas with Hatch green chile sauce. Instead of rolling each enchilada, you dip the tortilla in the sauce, place on cookie sheet, then add shredded chicken and grated cheese, repeat again with another tortilla dipped, chicken, cheese, followed by a third tortilla dipped and topped with just cheese. This makes it three high. Baked at 350 for 20 minutes until all cheese is melted and bubbly. We topped the stacks with pico de gallo, green onions, lettuce, olives, and sour cream. They are quite large and I ate only half of one. Michael and Ethan loved them. Michael wanted extra sauce to add on the next time I make them. Ethan was hungry and ate the whole thing! Next time I make this new recipe, I will use smaller corn tortillas, so they won't be so big. Tonight we have a steak and a ear of corn. I will have to slice off Ethan's corn from the cob as his teeth haven't come in yet. He can't bite things well yet.

Prayers for those precious twins. Prayers for Irish's sister too.

Enjoy,
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Hello everyone,been a sunny day here.Got my first walk in a week.

TWINS We got our first good news today.At least we hope it is.They had a good day & are now assigned one nurse for both of them.Yesterday Brodee had another BTransfusion.We Just Keep Praying for a miracle.Thanks so much for your prayers & love.

Maryz Im afraid I would have had to go inside for something to gain my composure.She needs to be omitted from guest list.Glad you are getting toward the end of your moving .
You are brave to host with so much upheaval.

Jana your Ethan is a growing boy.Oh my DD was a teacher & had children with needs & Oh the things she encountered.My DGD is one too & She encounters it too but not as much.

Tina I understand Your feelings exactly.With 4 teachers in our family.And It’s Sad They have to go when sick.Sure hope you get a break from the heat & feel Bet very soon.Hugs to you.

I cooked fresh green beans from Farm.Corn on cob.burger for CA.And brownies. Becca

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi all, I came to check in and see how the babies are doing, so glad to see they had a better day.

Now that I'm here......I'm going for my bloodwork in the morning.....I'll try to get on tomorrow after I'm back.
I'm not sure if I'm having the kids tomorrow, their dad (I use the term very loosley) said he'd bring them over later.....that hardly ever happens....he's too lazy to and he doesn't feed them breakfast and will give them lunch by going to McDonalds ugh. He doesn't cook at all and doesn't even try to learn for at least the kids sake. I have to tell you a story....we always have a garden, we sent a cantaloupe home for the kids last year or year before, I can't remember for sure.....anyway Jazmyne asked for some so he said he'd cut her some.....he peeled it like an orange and then tried to slice little slices like an orange, Jazmyne said there was a mess everywhere and she had a hard time eating it. We even asked Holly and she was falling down laughing and said yep that's what he did. :lol: :roll: :shock: He also caught a pan on fire on the stove boiling water, thankfully Holly was home to take care of it because all he did was scream and yell! She was in bed sick that time, so we're very scared for the kids to be with him......among other reasons.
Gosh, I've really bent you alls hears today!
My face is hurting tonight, I vacuumed a little today, it looked like we had extra cats on the porch so I had to vacuum the porch and the area rugs inside, nothing big but it wore me out! Mathew's birthday party is Saturday! 2 years old already!
I guess I better go to get ready for bed. Night
Tina

Return to “Chit Chat”