Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, July 24

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Wed, July 24

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:57 am

Good morning!

Well, I got a start on packing up our downstairs - I emptied a couple of bookshelves. Bill will clear out the shop of some of his equipment today and start handtrucking things out for storage during our recarpeting in a few weeks. It's a start. I also got the last of my 10 quilt tops organized, tops ready, backs pieced, and stacked them in order of quilting. Bill will help me load one today and I'll get started on that project. This is the part of quilting that I don't care for, but there's not much point in doing the piecing if you don't do the quilting. I know of a woman who, as of four years ago, had 54 tops piled in a closet - had never quilted a single one of her quilts. I don't want to be her!

JANA - congrats to Joseph and I wish him well in his new, well-lighted job! And your Ethan is officially taller than I am. By 1/4 inch. I wonder if there's rides at D-land that I can't ride . . . . Tell Karlie I'm with her! I don't do roller coasters either. At least not on purpose! Back in 1988 Roy (DH#2) and I took Autumn and Mike to Disneyland and we got in line for a ride. Being not even 5' tall, I couldn't see what ride it was until the line got past the point of no return. Thunder Mountain. :shock: But because it's kind of enclosed, and has things to look at as you zoom past, it wasn't as bad as a regular roller coaster.

BECCA - did your batting and fabric arrive? You'll be flying through that quilt once it gets there. As for the $50,000 for the A/C in the house across the road, the new owners didn't request it until after the house was almost finished, so it was a big deal to go back and retro-install it through the entire house. It's a big house, too. And that price also included finishing off the garage - insulating, sheetrocking, painting the walls, adding a ceiling, and finishing the floor - all way beyond what a garage usually is - so it wasn't all A/C.

VELDA - you are way more computer savvy than I am!

CAROL - you sound like my DD#1 and her hubby - he turned 50 last September and that's all he wanted for his birthday - to go to Disneyland. (they usually go every 2 yrs so it was a bonus year for him). They drove down and then flew their two boys (who are adults and have jobs so couldn't get more than a few days off) and they went for 5 days straight. Loved it. Lucky you to miss the crowds! Do you know, I still use your brine recipe whenever I make a pork roast!

TINA - nice to see you! You've been missed! You DO have a yard person - her name is Tina! I've given up on about half my yard - it's just too much now to keep up like I used to. I'm letting parts of it go back to nature. And nature is pretty, too. But I still keep a few of the official flowerbeds weeded - twice a year. We have sprinklers on timers so I haven't dragged hoses around for years. What a back saver that is!

Well, we never got around to supper last night. We had pie for lunch and cold chips & queso for supper. Nothing healthy here! Maybe tonite we'll have frozen chicken burgers and salad. Or possibly just chicken patties with gravy, mashed potatoes. We'll see what Mr. Bill feels like when the time comes.

What are you feeling like for tonite?

auntjana

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Wed, July 24

Post by auntjana » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:17 am

Good morning!

Been watching the Pioneer Day parade - it is fun to watch. Today is a bit cooler, but I am happy to watch on TV and not outside in person!

Aaron and Kate are both on duty today. Sarah has the little gitls. When it is Lila's naptime, she will sleep here at my house. Sarah will take Gracie and Ethan to the splash pad here in town. All over the valley are these play spaces with running water for little streams, small fountains, and sprayers for the kids to play in. All free too! The kids love them in the hot days of summer. Ours here in Herriman doubles in the winter as a ice skating rink.

Aaron gets a new toy for his job. A very very expensive drone. He will learn how to fly it. He has to be licensed by the FAA. The state wants to use the drone photo ability to map out crash scenes. This drone is capable of flying at 18,000 feet! His training will be quite extensive, including weather and flying.

Dinner - we are in need of milk and eggs, so a short run out to Costco. There are some yummy premade meals that will jump in my basket. They will last several days.

Mary - we too have many books. I bought special half size boxes to pack them in when we moved. The small size, so we could pick up the box, without maxxing out the weight. We saved all those boxes and will put them to use again, when we have to replace the carpet here - it is getting close to that point.

Well, need to scoot,

Enjoy!
Jana

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Not too happy....In looking back to see who had posted, mine was missing....I wrote earlier today, early afternoon and it was there, right under Jana's, now it's gone....Oh well!

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi Everyone,
I need to go buy some chicken for dinner tonight. I would like to marinate it and grill it. The city put fresh slurry on the street in front of my house and my car is about a block away. Poor me!

The good news is I got an avatar thanks to the link Quiltgram posted! Thanks so much! The picture was taken a couple of years ago.

I think I will sew this afternoon and work on a project for the quilt guild. We are revamping the bylaws and standing rules. There are a lot of commas, periods and "and" to take care of this time. We have been at it for about five weeks and after four meetings the committee cannot agree on a couple of points. We take it to the Board the first Tuesday of August. I know it will get approved, but the fourth meeting was this morning and I am a little frustrated by the pickiness of it all!

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:50 pm

Hello everyone,Cooler nite here & cooler temps today.I had to wear a light jacket this morning for Town.
Maryz I think I would be paying the carpet people to move those heavy things.Too hard on backs.I understand why it’s that much if they decided later on AC.Makes it worse to install.
The lady with just quilt tops is a new one on me.Would never want to leave them unfinished.

Irish The same thing happened to one of my post in SewIns.Oh well.Keep Trying.

Jana Enjoy your Pioneer Day.

Quilter7 Good for you learning the ropes of new forum.I hate serving on committees for that reason,pickiness.

I did many errands & Groceries & Library run.Worn out when I got Home.My material came so got it washed,pressed & ready to go to quilt.
CA had enchiladas & I had tomato sandwich. Becca

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi Carol. I know what you mean about guild committee agreeing on things. It's like being on a jury. You have a few that just won't budge. 9 years ago today, we were at the Long Beach show. I wish we still had that show.

Jana, a drone for work sounds interesting. I bet he'll have it up and running in no time at all.I

Maryz, we haven't had dinner In three days. We eat a late lunch and then aren't hungry come dinner.

Irish, bummer about your post.

Becca, enjoy the cooler temps. We are close to 100 today.

Don't know what's for dinner. Maybe chicken and mashed potatoes.

Have a wonderful day.
Lori 8-)

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Lori - Yes I still miss Long Beach too. Road is good, but Long Beach was fantastic! Just over Terminal Island and I was there. I liked the time of the year too. It was in the middle of Summer near the ocean instead of the third week of January in Ontario. It is about an hour at 7:00 A.M. on a Saturday, but I know friends who have driven 2-1/2 hours to get there from near where I live.

Return to “Chit Chat”