Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

Re: What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:16 am

I love sewing and I love reading. But I don't have time to do both! So I get audio books from the library - or download them to my i-pad. Once I get the hard thinking part of any project done, I turn on my book, and I "read" all my favorite authors while I sew. I also 'read' when I clean, cook, garden, can, fold clothes, bead, etc.

Namarose

Post by Namarose » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:56 am

For rulers look in office supplies for a stacking rack for the desks. Go to Staples on line to see desks stuff. U can find them at second hand stores for them cheaper. If you have shelf space. Or floor near your work area.

Katherine

dforseth

Post by dforseth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:41 pm

I make all my binding the same size (2.25")) and keep all the left over pieces. When I make a scrappy project I go to. The left over bag. I have even accidentally made too much and had enough to bind a baby quilt.
Debbie

Debbie Forseth
:D

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:18 am

Oh these are all wonderful tips. My tip is that when I am quilting, I load multiple needles with my thread before starting so I don't have to stop and reload every 5 to 10 minutes. This also allows the thread to "relax" after being wound on the spool. Relaxing the thread seems to also reduce the knotting while quilting.

Mary/Rosebud

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm

When I am finished with a project, I cut my scraps into fat quarters and 2 1/2 inch strips

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Wed May 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Wow, I have learned some great tips from you ladies! It is so much fun to see everyone's ideas and tricks! Thanks all for posting. Lets keep this going, we can all learn from each other!

womster

Post by womster » Thu May 09, 2013 10:49 am

What a great thread!

After I quit working, I took the closet thingie that held my belts (it's a big metal circle with a rubber stop on the end) and now use it to hang my rulers. Whenever I need one, I just have to move the stopper to the ruler I want, remove the end, and voila the ruler is there. It hangs in my sewing room closet.

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Sun May 12, 2013 7:44 am

I have found spreading a piece of fabric (about 2 yards)under the ironing board has helped with cleanup. I tend to drop thread clippings and snips of fabric on the floor and now I just have to take the fabric outside and shake it and the sweeper doesn't have to be run nearly as often. Also it catches the overspray when I use sizing or starch.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Mon May 13, 2013 11:29 pm

I wind my binding on a tp roll - empty, of course!

I get plastic containers for projects, and project bags from QIAD work awesome! They are even clearer than the little totes.

I've started winding my fabric around my 5" x 24" ruler, then folding in half, they fit wonderfully on my shelves, and I can see the fabrics.

sidesaddles

Post by sidesaddles » Tue May 14, 2013 7:22 am

I wear an apron for quilting(over my clothes--not just an apron lol)
and I pin a piece of batting about 3 in square to it. Whenever I have snippets of thread I just put them on the batting and clean it off
when I am through for the day. Sure beats picking them up off the floor.

Also, I do like TooMuchFabric with the cloth under my work area except I use an old sheet.

Pat in NM

Return to “Chit Chat”