Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
Namarose

Re: What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

Post by Namarose » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:06 am

I thought of something else. If your sewing machine has two spool rods. Wind your bobbin & sew at the as time. My new machine doesn't do it but that how we do it in the sweat shop. I always buy two spools of thread.
I save the bags from new sheets & blanket. I put your project inside. Use bags that have zipper on them to put your projects in & not loss anything. Add on 3/28/13

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:13 pm

I am a long arm quilter and one of the tips I have is I put all of my small quilting templates in the clear plastic sleeves then I put them in a binder book then when I am quilting I just go to the book. It' much better than digging through the templates everytime you need one.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:24 am

I keep my cut out quilt pieces in zip lock baggies....label each bag
for sizes and placement. This helps me stay organized and things
all together for a specific Quilt. I also use plastic tubs with lids to keep fabrics and scraps...and, also for the Quilt I am working on.
I can easily find everything and can pick it up and go easily if need be. I can just select a baggie of fabric pieces for the quilt and sew away ....then, add another baggie of pieces to sew to that...works for
me. I have a tool box for supplies and a few office desk top supplies to hold items I need by the machine.

Any tips on storing rulers would be very helpful!

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 am

For binding I also use the white PVC pipe (or empty adding machine paper roll). I roll my pressed binding onto the pipe then run a ribbon thru the pipe and hang it on my neck. I also use washable glue to hold down the binding so I can sew it by hand onto the back. This way I don't have to fool with clips or pins. I just run a small bead of glue along the stitch line, fold over the binding and press it to dry the glue.

I have a peg board in my sewing room to hang rulers and other packages of 'stuff'.

I usually wear tops made of jersey so when I snip threads I just slap them on my shirt front then use one of those sticky lint rollers to get the threads off. This works great when I'm long arming. Keeps me from walking to the trash can all the time.

I make photo copies of the pattern I'm using and as I follow the pattern I mark out the steps I've done with a highlighter so that I know where I am when I go back to it. I use this when cutting, too. Y'all know how hole-y my head is.

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:07 am

i was sewing strips of 1" pieces together last night and thought...
"oooh! this is one for the 'tips' section!"!
i know a lot of people know this, but there are always the odd few who don't , then wonder why their 'work' is bowing like a banana...
'sew' excuse me if you already know this important piece of info :)

when sewing strips together always sew the length in the opposite direction, every time you add a new piece. never from the same direction every time.
other wise you WILL end up with a 'banana'!!! lol...
happy sewing!!
xxx

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:19 am

bttt

can we 'stick' this permanently to the top??
PLEASE???
thx :)
XXX

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:34 am

Ok Shelly, this will stay near the top so we can add to it and learn from each other!

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:18 pm

I have decided to cut my "scraps" into usable pieces so when I get ready to stitch I will have "precuts" available without a trip to the fabric shop or waiting on the mailman to bring my package.

Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:29 am

This is really such a tiny little tip but it has saved me a ton of confusion over the years.

On every quilt I make, while it's in the assembly stage, I have a small safety pin in the upper left hand block of the quilt. That way I can immediately get it layed out the direction I want to go. When I load it onto the longarm, that is when the pin is removed.

Thanks for all the great tips ladies!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 am

My Storage Ideas:

1. I store all my rulers in an old record rack I found in the good will. It sits within easy reach, but out of the way of my work space.

2. For smaller rulers and tools I have one of those picnic organizers: Little rulers and a notebook go into the napkin holder and my cutters, pens, pencils, Best Press spray bottle, hand cream, etc all go into the silverware compartments.

3. Finally, I have an Iris cart with 6 shallow drawers that sits just under my sewing table. In one drawer I have scissors, hemostats, bodkins, and the like. Another is just pins, needles, kitty treats, etc. One for threads, one for my machine attachements. And so forth.

All these things are easily reachable from my sewing chair.

Return to “Chit Chat”