Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
scrapquilter48

Re: What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:38 am

My recent tip, get binder, backup copy of pattern, cause when need it can't find it in my sew room. On front cover of my binder glued a prayer to recite before I start... I pray for miracles.

swakins

Post by swakins » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:47 am

I have a cutting table in my sewing cave (aka basement) but it is too low for comfort. I can't raise the legs because of it's location. I was sitting around trying to think of something with a more user friendly height for cutting, and then I realized, my entire kitchen is that height! Of course space is a premium there, but the one space that is always cleared at the end of the day is my smooth cooktop, so I use that for my cutting. Of course this means working around meal times and I don't have to tell you to make sure it is not warm. I keep a large spare mat next to my refrigerator and an extra cutter in the kitchen.

Namarose

Post by Namarose » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:16 am

Swakins, did u think of using the things u can raise the bed up. To put under ur table legs in ur cave. I will look up what they are called. Might help too.

Katherine

kho

Post by kho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:05 am

when participating in a challenge it is best NOT to wait until the last minute to do it. Enough said.

live2quilttwo

Post by live2quilttwo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:54 am

Oh some more great tips! Its amazing how some of us can come up with such easy fixes or great ideas and some of us (me.....LOL!) can't. I'm vertically challenged so the stovetop is not an option but what a great idea. Then again I would be the one who would forget its hot and melt my cutting mat.....another subject for another day....LOL!

What a great use for orphan and trial blocks. How about sashing them in black for a unique top for a charity quilt? Again, never 2 the same.

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:35 pm

I turned a craft table into a BIG ironing surface. I had thought about having husband make a big ironing board from a table (could take years...); thought about the Big Board that sits on top of a standard ironing board, but that still isn't very wide. I decided to make my own.

Started with a collapsible craft table from JoAnn's. Layered on ironing board fabric, cut about 2" larger on each side. I stitched little tucks into each corner to prevent shifting.

Followed this with 2 layers of cotton batting, one layer of Insul-Brite (both cut to size of table top), and a layer of unbleached cotton drill cloth. I stitched loops of wide, heavy elastic to the edges of the drill cloth and the whole thing is held in place with bungee cords. Ta-dah!

The best part is, because the table folds down to about 15 by 36 inches, it doesn't take up much floor space. Yet when I need the full size surface, it's easy to fold out---lots of space to press larger quilt tops. When the drill cloth gets dirty or wears out I can easily wash it or make a new top.

girl

Post by girl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:06 am

I have a frind that has electic tables for cutting or sewing. They are being sold at our swap meet for air planes and I talk about them and we have one in our basemant and I love it. pm me if you like to know more info.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:49 am

Re threads/carpets, know it sounds odd, but try the cat shredder brush for threads, how I clean kittens bed. Just scrape the blanket and it picks up fabric fluffs as well.. May not work depending on bristles.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:59 am

I thought of something today and slapped my forehead! Why did it take me so long???! I was laying out blocks and wanted to keep their positions in the quilt top straight. And then it clicked! I used my Frixion pen! I marked the blocks A-1, A-2, or B-1,2, etc. It was as plain as a ball-point pen but completely disappears with heat. No more "pin code", or having to take photos for reference, and making notes. I've found that Frixion pens are handy for a large variety of things!

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:42 am

Here's my tid bit, all your leftover blocks, cut them to size and make a row, to include in quilt as you go, sew a row. Seminole type idea.

Rows, usually go top to bottom in a quilt, this goes left to right, and maybe you have just a small batting left not enough for another quilt. You can save and add when have extras.

Return to “Chit Chat”