Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Have you read a good book lately?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
Joannequilts

Have you read a good book lately?

Post by Joannequilts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Thought I would start a new thread about books we have read...good and bad and why! Share your loves and hates!

Joanne

institcheswithrosie

Re: Have you read a good book lately?

Post by institcheswithrosie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:56 pm

The last fiction was the Aloha Quilt by Chiavarini. The fun thing was because one of my step daughters lives in Hawaii, I could pronounce most of the words. LOL
Non-fiction was Sherman's Christmas about Sherman in Georgia. I am a history geek, particularly the Civil War and WW11.

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi Joanne, Good idea...I am an avid reader, as well as DH, probably have 3-4 books going at a time...Right now I'm into the Amish books by Beverly Lewis...There are 3-4 to a series and I'm really hooked, trying to read them in order....Ms Lewis was raised in Lancaster and seems to have her facts pretty exact...I'd highly recommend these books...What I liked, no four letter words and no sex, although we know it happened, lol....
DH like mystery and he's funny, when he picks up a good one, he literally can't put it down....
I've enjoyed the Stephanie Plum adventures and all the Elm Creek books....
Happy reading!

lorettav

Post by lorettav » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:41 pm

I love to read. My favorite arthur is Belva Plain. The only thing wrong is if you start reading one of her books you can't put it down.

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 pm

I Usualy like to read in the summer but haven't picked up 1 all summer but usually it's the Elm Creek series but not right now with all the wedding stuff going on I can't focus .

Lois

lucieshouses

Post by lucieshouses » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:38 am

Joanne, I'm glad you started this thread because I was going to today!
Since moving into DD#2's house in Temecula, DH and I have found some used bookstores and outlets. After my eye appt. today we'll be going to the Lake Elsinore Outlet and I know there's a bookstore there, DH is looking for something to really get into.

Yesterday, I bought Patricia Cornwell's "Scarpetta", I've read most of her books and wait for the paperback...I bought it for $1.00.
I also bought Janet Evanovich's "Seven Up"...just started reading her.
I hope to try many more authors. Lucie

mommybvl3

Post by mommybvl3 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:58 am

Hi Joanne,
I love Joyce meyer books I just finished one called How to hear from God and I'm reading her new one Never Give up it is a really good book I also Love to watch her on tv I also just read French women don't get Fat if you have a chance to read it you should you will fall in love with France like i have i have read both of her books here latly I do more reading then quilting and I have also been reading books about home schooling and magazines on quilting and home schooling thanks for posting this thread Tina

MastiffGRANDMA

Post by MastiffGRANDMA » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:57 am

Hi,
Love to read books,but mostly history books,the one that we did not like to read in school.Right now I am reading the french revolution.I dont know any one that has the same interest in history like me.
Happy reading
Kathy

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:34 am

Kathy - I know I enjoy it so much more now that i'm not in school. I like historical novels. Seems like no time to read lately.
mary

Rockinrobin

Post by Rockinrobin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:15 pm

I was an avid reader growing up and used to read a lot of Stephen King (I don't anymore!) I also liked the John Jakes historical fiction series. I stopped reading novels for a long time and just picked up one by Harlan Caban (sp?) called "No Second Chance". It's a whodunit about bout a guy whose wife is murdered, kid is kidnapped and he is shot and the cops think he did it. The writing is mediocre, since there seems to be a lot of unecessary fluff but I'm still enjoying the story. I'm kind of reading it out loud to DH but he gets bored with the fluff and frankly so do I. I skip a lot of it for his benefit. Almost done with it.

I also love Jennifer Chevarini but hers can be somewhat predictable. Great light reading tho and I just finished Sugar Camp Quilt.

My all time favorite book of my whole life was Gone With The Wind. I must have read that one a hundred times and always wished Scarlett would love Rhett at the end! LOL I didn't much like the sequel.

Return to “Chit Chat”