Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Have you read a good book lately?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
lucieshouses

Re: Have you read a good book lately?

Post by lucieshouses » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm

I just finished "The Friday Night Knitting Club"...didn't expect that ending! Lucie

mequilter9158

Post by mequilter9158 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:33 pm

I just picked up a new Nora Roberts book this afternoon from the library. This one is called "The Search" and I know that once I start it, nothing else will get done. I've read all of her books and really enjoy the trilogy's she's done.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:07 am

I've loved reading since even before I learned to read! The bookmobile coming to our rural area was an eaglerly-awaited event and I learned to write my name at age 3 so I could get my own library card. And they made me write my real name "Virginia" instead of my nickname. It was HARD!! There are so many letters! Luckily most of them are "I's"! As a reward for earning my card, the ladies on the bookmobile let me take my pet lamb on board one day. And I dressed in my dress-up bride's costume. That was fun!! With an intro like that, who wouldn't love to read!!

And I still can't get enough of books. I ALWAYS have at least one book going and I listen to audio books when I sew/clean/garden/cook. I like fiction and some of my favorites are:

J.A. Jance
Mary Higgins Clark
Mary Daheim
Diane Mott Davidson
Leslie Meier
Janet Evanovich
Joanne Fluke
Lisa Scottolini

I just finished Evanovich's 'Sixteen'. I like her books because they have enough action to keep the story moving, enough humor to keep it fun, and Gramma Mazur. Do you think Stephanie will ever choose between Ranger and Morelli?

Mary Z

Chrissy1

Post by Chrissy1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:31 pm

Boreing as it may sound, I read cookbooks. Usually those that have more than just recipies. I search out the ones with stories about the recipe and history of the people that wrote them. Latest is the Sisters books. One is 100 heirloom baking recipes and there is a food one also.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:39 am

Bought from thrift store, 1-Debbie Mccomber, loved her 1st read, this one didn't finish, found beginning bit challenging with all the names 1 chapter dedicated to each person..Needed to take notes, passed on to friend, she read and loved it, but yeah bit of work in beginning.

Now opening new one from Emilie Richards, Parting Glass, again from thrift store. Don't know how far into book I'll get..

Danielle Steel are light reads, and those I finish, so it is possible for me to push myself and get into the story..I admire all you book lover's, cause I struggle to become more of a reader..

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:47 am

Maryz, I've copied your list of authors, some of which I really like, but some are new to me....I'll check them out when I get to the Library....And, I've also wondered about the men in Stephanie's life...I haven't seen any more about the movie but it's being shot right here in Pgh....

Chrissy, I also love to read cook books and I love to study maps...I guess along with quilting, eating and traveling are my favorite things to do.....

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:09 pm

I haven't read in a while. I have been so busy, I am like irish, I love reading the Amish stories. I read all of beverly Lewis, I have read Cindy Woodsmall, and Wanda Brunstetter, I have a list of other Amish authors. I buy used books when ever possible. and we have a book store near me that gives credit for used books so you can get a discount on new purchases.

towens71

Post by towens71 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 am

I've been reading the Sigma series by James Rollins, they are sort of sciency, but very good. I've also got a few quilt type mystery books that I haven't started yet. I'll let you know if they are worth the time!

Traci

september

Post by september » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:22 pm

I love anything by Anne Rivers Siddons! I have also, started reading Elizabeth Berg, and of course, James Patterson.
September

quilter78

Post by quilter78 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:29 pm

I am an avid reader and have read all of Nora Roberts and most of Debbie Mccombers. Some one recommended Susan Wiggs books and and one that is especially good is. Summer Holiday is real good. I will check out some that you mentioned for I usually check out five books at a time and have them read before they are due.. I usually get mine at the library and occasionally buy them at the super market.
I am a quilter but have taken a break from it, money wise. but will be getting back to it for I have two small quilts that are done except for the hand quilting.so will start soon.. It seems I sew more in the winter time.. summers like to read , I am not one for watching television.. When I see a movie on television that I have read I think my gosh all the good stuff they left out.. they are so condensed. I strongly recommended Susan Wiggs book called Summer Holiday. It is of a elderly man who is dying of cancer and hires a private nurse and goes on a holiday. He has a list of all the things he wants to do befoe he dies. What is so good is the way the nurse takes care of him. there is some humor in it also. She also wrote a book call The Hostage and it starts with the Chicago fire and how they get through it.. there are three books in that series. Hostage starts during the fire and this rich gal is taken into hostage and ends up at Isle Royal, Isle Royal is in Lake Superior, It is very good. If any of you gals read some of these books let me know how you like them.. Mary Ann

Return to “Chit Chat”