Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Have you read a good book lately?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
busylady

Re: Have you read a good book lately?

Post by busylady » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Just finshed a book "The Shadow of Your Smile" by Mary Higgins Clark. Great mystery as always.

karpet

Post by karpet » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:07 pm

I just read "Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression" by Mildred Armstrong Kalish
It is a memoir, and I ended up copying down some of the recipes she had in it.

When I was down, my mom sent me the series by Philip Gulley, "Harmony" about life in a small town. It had me laughing out loud. It is now my favorite set of books to give to someone who needs a pick-me-up.

Right now I'm working my way through "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. It's not my typical reading fair but my DH recommended it to me.

Through the years I've loved reading the historical fiction books by Brock and Bode Thoene. They have a lot of action. Another good historical fiction was "Rora" by James Byron Huggins

Karlene

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:48 pm

Karlene, I love historical fiction too.. I will look for the Iowa book...

the small town books look great too....

thanks for the info...

Chriss
Psalm 91

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Cokie Roberts FOUNDING MOTHERS and a few others, will post later. Since I have been so tired and non funtioning this summer, have read so many. Found out Monday, thyroid Rx needs to be adjusted and waiting to hear from reg. MD about blood work. Have had a miserable summer.....not complaining, just stating a fact--:)

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:34 am

Just finished re-reading two of Anne George's books.."Murder Gets a Life" and "Murder Makes Waves". Gmaann reminded me of her books...they are LOL funny!!!!

Joanne

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:13 am

I check this site frequently but I don't read as much as I would like at home. I can devour books while camping though. I have read a bunch of the Amish books and when we go camping in Ohio < I become the camp expert. Large Amish communities near Berlin. Have camped there several times. My neighbor just sent me over 6 Amish books that I haven't read,,, and I am re reading the Seven Harry Potter books, Just love them the first time, I find out something different with each reading. I thought I would hate them but NO they are such fun to read.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:01 am

I love to read, but keep falling asleep! So I listen to books on tape from the library all the time. I just finished Jennifer Chevarinni's "Round Robin". I listened to it while I quilted my bulldozer quilt. They are good stories, but not so intricate that I can't concentrate on both at the same time.

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:55 am

Just finished the last of Beverly Lewis' books so now I'm lost....I am going to the Library tomorrow, with list in hand, and hopefully, I come home with a bag full...
I highly recommend reading the Amish books.....

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:28 am

Joanne, I read the Anne George books.. they are funny...

Mary, I read the Chivirini books but don't remember which was the last one I read so that I could continue with the series... I think the last one was where Sylvia had gone on a trip to find her lost quilts... then I was caught up and waiting for the next book and never got around to it..... same with the Janet Evanovich books...

I like reading these suggestions... lots of good books out there.
Psalm 91

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 am

Busylady, I'm reading "The Shadow of your smile" by Clark right now...and stayed up way too late last night..it's hard to put down! I've been reading Mary Higgins and her daughter, Carol Higgins...and I think I like the mother's books best.

Return to “Chit Chat”