Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Have you read a good book lately?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
quilter78

Re: Have you read a good book lately?

Post by quilter78 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:58 pm

P.S. Thanks for starting this thread on books I will be sure to check on here every day.. I usually do check here every day but haven't wrote any thing of late.. I have been on here for three year now and miss some of the older ones. A lot of new people. and young ones. I think I am the oldest here now age that is.. The first quilt I made was for a raffle for our local library which we were just setting up.. It was a sampler and the colors were a mauve rose and blue mainly.. it went so well we made 1,500 dollars on it. that is net after I paid the amish to hand quilt it.. Did several more for charity and then when I made them for my self did the hand quilting my self. Of course by then I had a good teacher.. I love hand quilting it is so relaxing.. and not hard at all, the main thing is the wrist action. I have also made numerous wall hangings and table runners.. made one king size quilt for my son with all wild animals, he helped pick out the material. His friends offered to buy it but he will not part with it.. He is so prowd of it of course brags that he picked out the material. there are bears, deer,elk, racoons, beaver, and that is just a few.. I used the snow ball pattern and with the darker green around it. and the border out of camaflauge material the green one.. So I would get some blue in it found some material of loons and also one of canoe on a lake, also a winter scene.. I had put a picture of it on here a while back and called it my ugly quilt.. Well my ugly quilt doesn't seem so ugly any more for all the men loved it and wanted me to make one for them..

I take that back it has been a lot longer than three years. the years go by so fast.. I will have to check and see how long it has been. We didn't have this many people on it then.. Mary Ann

Hotrod

Post by Hotrod » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:54 am

I'm not much of a reader but have been trying to make myself read since we 'retired' to the Ozarks three years ago. Have read a couple of books by Dean Koontz, Debbie Maccomber, Jennifer Chiavarini, and Michael Crichton. They were all pretty good. I have now started on the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins and I am making a serious effort to read my Bible and go to Bible study every week. Learning lots!!

READ2ME

Post by READ2ME » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Sarah's Key is a great book. I don't remember the author and can't check it as I have passed the book on to friends.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks for all the good ideas!! I am always looking for a good book/author!

Books I have read recently:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Dry Ice by Stephen White
The Aloha Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
World Without End by Ken Follett (I really enjoyed these two, but have not really cared for others by this author.)

Always for fun:

The Miss Julia books by Ann B. Ross
The Southern Sisters books by Anne George
The Alphabet series by Sue Grafton

Other authors I like:

Anita Shreve
Adriana Trigiani
Nancy Pickard
Jan Karon
Nevada Barr
Patricia Cornwell
Jeffrey Archer
Barbara Taylor Bradford
Maeve Binchy
Rosamunde Pilcher
Belva Plain

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:10 am

Right now I am reading a book by Tamar Myers. She writes two series of books, both of them are hysterically funny mysteries; funny almost to the point of silliness. But it's a nice escape from stress and badly-bahaving sewing machines! They are murder mysteries, generally, but are free of gore, gross detail, and foul language. And of course, full of laughs.

Tess

Post by Tess » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:44 am

I just read a book Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. I enjoyed the book very much and just discovered yesterday that there is a movie from the book. I watched the movie and it doesn't do the book justice but the movie wasn't bad.

This was the first book of Jodi's I have read, but will be reading more...she is a wonderful author........

busylady

Post by busylady » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:53 am

I guess I better like to read 3 hours of my teaching day is spent in a small school library. Beside the library I teach drafting and Computers classes. I read a lot of childrens books because I have to keep up with student conversation. I know the trends and they all come and go. The school library covers all grades pre school to 12 grade. We have to keep up with all levels and I am very proud of the fact that we have the latest of the popular authors most adults would like to read. We have such a small town that the public library is a book mobile that comes once a month. In other words we drive 100 miles to go to Wal-Mart. LOL

My favorite authors are Mary Higgins Clark, Dan Brown, John Grisham, although I try to make it a habit to read books that are a varity of authors. Which would include many many authors.

The last really good book was Dan Brown's the Lost Symbol. The last book was Before I Say Good-Bye and currently reading The Shadow of Your Smile both by Mary Higgins Clark. I am so looking forward to John Grisham's book the Confession coming out in October.

I also read or participate in a lot of religious reading and bible studies. Beth Moore is great but very involing and quick paced hard to to during my work year with out group. My group seem to enjoy the Women of Faith Bible studies. We find them very rewarding.

Of course I cannot let reading interupt my Quilting. LOL So we have to add quilting books in the mix.

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:41 am

I just finished reading "Daddy's Little Girl" by Mary Higgins Clark. The only problem was that I could NOT put it down!! LOL!! It is a murder mystery and it just never slowed down enough for me to put it aside! Awesome book.

When I go to the library I check out at least 6-8 books at a time, so I read ALOT! Mostly "cozy" mysteries..nothing gory, no bad language, sex, etc.

For those cat lovers, Rita Mae Brown is a wonderful author! Even though I'm not a cat person, I loved every one of her books!

Becca

Post by Becca » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 am

I'm an avid reader but our new Library moved & is not as convenient so I do not go as often.I just finished Same kind of different as me by Ron Moore & another Author .I turned it back in so cannot remember other name.It is the story of a homeless man.I recommend.it.It is a true story based in Texas.

busylady

Post by busylady » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:19 pm

Same Kind of Different as Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together was written by: Ron Hall, Denver Moore, Lynn Vincent
I read the synopsis, it looks like a good read.

Return to “Chit Chat”