Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Favorite Recipes

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
Xochitl

Re: Favorite Recipes

Post by Xochitl » Wed May 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Wow, these recipes sound great! I didn't know this was here :)

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Sat May 31, 2014 9:00 am

Izzys Strawberry Jam Recipe:)

Clean and quarter strawberries
1 recipe makes 8 cups

2 qts of fruit {8 cups of the cut up berries}
7 cups sugar
1/4 c lemon juice
1 pkg pectin

I place my berries in very large canning pot. Put in lemon juice and get them warm then I smash them with a potato masher to the consistency we like -- we like pieces of strawberries in our jam:). then I slowly add the pectin and stir between each bit so that doesnt lump. then I add the sugar slowly and stirring in between as well. I cook on larges burner at 5 setting on my stoves dile:) Stirring off and on and waiting for a rolling boil that wont stir down. then start your timer for 2 min. when goes off take pot off burner and skim off the pink foam. Put into warm jars. SEAL them and then invert(turn over) and let stand 5 min each. Then turn back over and they will pop pop pop:)))) I keep my jars in oven to keep warm and I keep lids in hot water on stove:)

I usually make 4 batches at a time. I dont recommend more than that cause that takes my large hot water bath pot and it boils to the rim:)) So make sure pot is large and plenty of room to boil in:)
🐐izzy

AbitaQuilterMom

Post by AbitaQuilterMom » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

2 diced chicken breast, 1 1/2 or 2 cans vegall mixed veggies, 1 can regular or reduced fat cream of chicken soup, a package of pre-made pie crusts, salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste, 9x9 glass or metal baking pan

1. In a skillet, with very little or no oil, cook chicken until no longer any pink showing.
2. Add veggies, soup, and seasonings. Heat and stir until all combined and bubblely.
3. Spray pan with non-stick spray and unroll one pie crust and carefully line the bottom and sides with it.
4. Pour chicken mixture in. Unroll the second pie crust and place it in top. Carefully tuck the edges down inside the pan. Prick the top with 4 or 5 vents.
5. Place in a preheated 400* oven and bake for 35 to 40 mins. or until golden brown. Remove and let stand a few minutes. Contents will be very hot! Serves 4 - 6

Honeybrown60

Post by Honeybrown60 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:26 am

Buttermilk Pie

3 eggs

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 1/2 cups white sugar

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/8 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg

1 reg size unbaked pie crust (poke holes in crust)

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.Beat eggs until frothy; add butter, sugar and flour. Beat until smooth.
3.Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice and nutmeg; pour into pie shell.
4.Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until center is firm.

Note: I use Mexican vanilla and do the toothpick test for doneness. Also, I prebake my crust just to light golden brown.

Enjoy!

Honey

Honeybrown60

Post by Honeybrown60 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:37 am

Pink Salad

1 large can Fruit Cocktail in heavy syrup

1 container Cool Whip

Pecans (toasted if you like)

1 Jar Maraschino Cherries

1 package Jet puffed Marshmallows

Directions:

Thoroughly drain fruit cocktail and pour into mixing bowl;

Stir in Cool-whip, pecans, marshmallows until thoroughly incorporated;
Add additional cherries using a teaspoon with a little cherry syrup;
Stir in well; add more cherries with syrup if you like. For a darker pink color, add a little more cherry syrup.
Refrigerate overnight. Stir well and turn over into glass bowl. Serve really cold!

I keep Maraschino in refrigerator during holiday times. My children and grandchildren love them.

Enjoy!

Honey

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:56 am

Waffle Receipy:

Laugh all you want..

Box of bisquick
Add water
Mix
Cook
Makes pancakes or waffles.
Freeze any leftovers.

Honeybrown60

Post by Honeybrown60 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:55 am

This Crouton guy is amazing! Look at this recipe:

http://youtu.be/N0rYq-Gjj0k'>http://you ... 0rYq-Gjj0k

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:56 am

Here is a recipe that I tried this week. It is really good.

Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin
2 pound Pork Tenderloin
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 TBS Yellow Mustard
2-3 TBS maple syrup
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS Diced dried onions
1 1/2 TSP Garlic Salt or Powder
Mix ingredients above. Pour over Tenderloin in the crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours.

Changes that I made: I had boneless pork for pulled pork instead of a tenderloin but it still turned out yummy!
Also, I used 1/4 of a large onion, chopped fine and 1 glove of garlic chopped and pressed through my garlic press. I sauteed these in 1T olive oil then transferred to crock pot and browned by pieces of meat in the same skillet until they were all nice and brown.
Then when mixing the other ingredients in a small bowl, I thought it looked like I should add two more Tlbs of water to the mix.

I also cooked on low for eight hours and really checked it often at the last two hours. When the meat was so tender and falling apart, I just turned it to "warm" for the remainder of the time.

We ate the left overs as pulled pork sandwiches. It was so tasty.

Velda
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Mon May 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Hope this wonderful list is NEVER deleted, as I do not cook, HOWEVER, your postings certainly give me a boost. Thanks HUGS Oh, and when I get computer hooked up will copy them, do any of you mind if I do not copy by hand Hugs, Helen

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:29 am

FESTIVE FRUITCAKE COOKIE BARS – From Betty Crocker

Makes 24 big bars or more smaller ones.

BARS:
1 cup flour
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter softened
1 tsp grated orange peel
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

¼ cup flour
2-1/2 cups candied cherries (red and green) I also threw in 8 oz of candied pineapple *
8 oz coarsely chopped dates (or raisins –white or dark if you don’t like dates)
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans *
* It is nice to have extra—at least a cup to put on top before baking.

ORANGE GLAZE:
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbs orange juice

350 degrees oven. Grease and flour 9x13 pan (I used glass).

1. In large bows mix first ingredients above ***. It will take some mixing to get them all combined.

2. In medium bowl, mix ¼ cup flour with fruits and nuts so they don’t stick together.

3. Stir fruit and nuts into first mixture. Spread into pan. If you have extra fruit and nuts, arrange them across the top and press them in to the bar mixture.

4. Bake 35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely—about 1 hour.

5. In small saucepan heat glaze ingredients over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. Drizzle or brush cooled bars with glaze.

6. Cut into bars in rows 3x8 or smaller (I make mine about 1”x2”.

ENJOY!!!

Return to “Chit Chat”