Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Favorite Recipes

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
QIAD-Linda

Re: Favorite Recipes

Post by QIAD-Linda » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Texas Candy Cake

I made this recipe years ago and everyone loved it. I lost the recipe and have been hunting for it since. I finally found it! With the holidays coming up, I thought it would be the perfect time to share it with you all.

Not your grandmother's fruit cake.... Even people who hate fruit cake love this.... The two-week "setting period" is a must.... Keeps up to or beyond a month in an air-tight container, in the refrigerator.

1 hour 30 minutes

1/2 lb candied red cherries,
quartered 1/2 lb candied pineapple,
coarsely chopped 1/2 lb pitted dates, (I omitted the dates and added more cherries and pineapple)
1 tablespoon flour
4 1/3 cups coarsely chopped pecans
4 ounces flaked coconut
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Make two weeks prior to serving.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Grease and flour 10 inch bundt pan or tubed pan with removable bottom.
Combine cherries, pineapple and dates in large bowl. Sprinkle with flour; toss to coat well.
Add pecans and coconut; toss to mix.
Add milk and mix well.
Spoon into prepared pan, smooth out top.
Bake for 1-1/2 hours. Cool in pan on rack. Remove from pan and wrap tightly in foil or place in an air-tight container. Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks to mellow flavors.
Keep in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 am

6 cups flour plus a little extra for folding
3 -4 cups water
1 tsp dry yeast
2 1/2 tsp salt
1T sugar
corn meal for bottom of the pan

NOTE: you may add 1/2 cup oats,2T flax seed,!/4 cup quinoa, or any gain up to one cup, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds too. or make it plain white.

dough will sit on the counter for 12 -18 hours.
use a 6 quart cast iron dutch oven,

in a large bowl combine 6 cups of flour (whole wheat will make the loaf very dense) try half and half or any combination. I used organic white.) oats seeds , yeast, salt and sugar
add 3-4 cups water and stir until blended,,amount of water will depend on the type of flour used. start with 3 cups.
Dough will be shaggyand sticky.
Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 12 - 18 hours/ room temp 65-70

Preheat oven to 500 place covered dutch oven in oven as it heats.

While oven and pot are heating
flour a work surface(approximately 1/2 cup total) scrape thedough onto the floured area. Sprinkle additional flour on top.just so it doesn't stick ton your hands, I used a bench scraper..fold the dough and flour onto itself a couple of times...using enough flour so you can fold it...pat off excess. cover with plastic wrap loosely and wait for the oven to heat up.
When the oven and pot have reached 500. sprinkle cornmeal on the bottom of the pot place the dough in and place the lid.
Bake 35 minuters with the lid on....and 10 more minutes with the lid off, When bread is dark brown remove from the pot and cool on a rack. It is very crusty and chewy on the inside....

If you want to half the recipe. use a 3 quart dutch oven and bake for 30 minuteswith a lid and 10 without.

If you want to make a breakfast bread,,,add a cop of dried fruit and increase the sugar to 2T and add 1/2 t of cinnimon or ginger to your liking......I would love to see photos of yours...xxxoooJudi

momof6quilts

Post by momof6quilts » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 am

Taco Ring

1 lb lean ground beef
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
2 tablespoons water
2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 medium bell pepper
1 cup salsa
3 cups lettuce, shredded
1 medium tomato
1/4 cup onion, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup pitted ripe black olives (optional)
sour cream (optional)

Directions:

Cook ground beef in large skillet over medium heat 7-9 minutes or until beef is no longer pink; drain.
Remove pan from heat.
Stir in taco seasoning mix, cheese and water.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Unroll crescent dough; separate into triangles.
Arrange triangles in a circle on Classic Round Pizza Stone with wide ends overlapping in center and points toward outside. (There should be a 5 inch diameter opening in center.) I use my Pampered Chef pizza stone, but any flat round pan should work--perhaps even a pizza sheet, but I'd spray it with Pam before adding the crescent rolls.
Scoop meat mixture evenly onto widest end of each triangles up over filling and tuck under wide ends of dough at center of ring. (Filling will not be completely covered).
Bake at 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Shred lettuce and chop tomato, onion, olives, and bell pepper (if desired).
If you want to do something fancy, scoop out a bell pepper and fill with salsa and put into center of ring.
Add your toppings to top of ring and finish with more shredded cheese and sour cream.
This is great with a salad.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-ring-fr ... c=linkback

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:01 am

GLENDA'S ANGEL BISCUITS

I pkg. dry yeast
1/4cup warm water
2 1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1cup buttermilk
Dissolve yeast in warm water.mix dry ingredients . Cut in shortening. As for biscuit dough add buttermilk and yeast mixture. Blend thoroughly. Turn dough onto floured area and knead as for regular biscuits .place biscuits on greased pan .LET RISE.for a few minutes before baking place in 350oven for about 12---15 minutes or instead of cutting the biscuits out you can drop them by the spoonful that's why some folks call them drop biscuits. You can also leave dough in refrigerator for several days if you cover them with Saran Wrap then just take out the amount you want to bake I usually bake mine ar 400 but everyone's oven cooks different. And don't forget to let them rise before you bake them great with butter on top while they are hot and have some good jelly to go with them

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:54 am

Pumpkin Dump Cake
Ingredients:

1 box spice cake mix
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (the original recipe called for 1/2 cup)
1 cup butter, melted
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease bottom of 9 x 13″ pan.  Mix pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.  Pour mixture into greased pan.  Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture and top with pecans.  Drizzle melted butter over pecans.  Bake 50-55 minutes.

Suzette

kho

Post by kho » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 am

Here's a favorite sweet potato recipe.

4 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed (dark brown sugar)- secret weapon
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup all purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Put the sweet potatoes on the oven rack and bake until fork tender, about 45 minutes.
When the potatoes are finished cooking,let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
Slice them open lengthwise and scrape out the flesh with a fork into a large bowl.
Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees.

2. Add the granulated sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla and salt to the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
Mash the mixture with a potato masher until combined and slightly lumpy – you don’t want it to be perfectly smooth.

3. Now, in a separate bowl, mash the brown sugar, pecans, flour and butter with a pastry cutter or fork until thoroughly combined.
The mixture should resemble a crumble.

4. Spread the sweet potato mixture in a 14 cup oval shaped baking dish or your standard 9 x 13 baking dish and sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top.
Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:45 pm

MANDARIN ORANGE CHICKEN

1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges
1 Tbsp cornstarch
5 green onions, sliced
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. ketchup
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
4 chicken breasts
1 Tbsp oil

Drain oranges, and combine cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of the juice. Set aside. In another bowl, mix onions, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and remaining juice. Set aside.

Brown the chicken on both sides in the oil. Add the onion mixture, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 min until chicken is done. Remove chicken and keep warm. Stir cornstarch mixture into the pan juices. Bring to boil, cook and stir for 1 to 2 min until thickened. Stir in oranges. Serve with chicken.

This is great served with jasmine rice. It's also a great recipe with pork chops.

CROCK POT VARIATION: After browning the chicken, put it into a crockpot and pour the sauce over it. Add an extra cup of water or other liquid. Let cook on LOW 4 -8 hours, until chicken is done. Remove chicken and keep warm. Pour sauce into a pan, bring to boil, and then do the thickening thing.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:05 am

Cream Puffs with Lemon pudding.

First I make the lemon pudding,,and set it to chill in the fridge. I also buy the hot fudge Cream puff pastry
what you will need
i stick unsalted butter
2tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt (if you only have salted butter skip this salt)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
4 whole eggs

In a medium sauce pan heat 1 cup of water,butter , sugar and salt,bring to a boil, remove from heat and add flour mixing well with a wooden spoon.return to heat and stir constantly till it pulls away from the sides cook stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.

transfer to a bowl of electric mixer and stir on low till cooled enough so it doesn't cook the eggs. a couple of minutes...(test with your finger it should be warm but not hot) add eggs one at a time running the mixer. Test the batter with your finger till a soft peak forms....

use parchment paper on a cookie sheet...if your martha Stewart draw circles on the paper and spoon the batter into the circles or just eyeball it. try to keep them about the same size....preheat oven to 375 place the cookie sheets in the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm the dough. after 30 minutes bake for 25-30 minutes. cool on wire racks after they are cool cut in half horizontally and fill with lemon pudding...drizzle with warm fudge.....or add vanilla ice cream to the side....or fresh fruit....or just ice cream or whipping cream....what ever you like...ossiblilties are endless/

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01 am

Cherry Topped Brownies

BROWNIES
1 box brownie mix (1 lb 2.3 oz)
2/3 cup oil
1/4 cup water
2 eggs
FILLING
2 packages (8oz) cream cheese (softened)
1 container ready to spread vanilla frosting
1 tsp. almond extract
TOPPING
1 can (21oz) cherry pie filling

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 13x9 inch pan with shortening. In large bowl, stir together brownie ingredients untill well blended with spoon. Spread in pan

Bake 24-26 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

In large bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours or until set.

To serve, spoon pie filling over top, cut into squares.
Suzette

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:22 am

Maryq's Mom's Cranberry Bread Recipe

1 cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons shortening

2 Cups Flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg