Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Favorite Recipes

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
morgans4

Re: Favorite Recipes

Post by morgans4 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:51 pm

Well, ladies, I made this and I have to say it was just awful. There's no sugar in it. DH not wanting to waste it, added 1 1/3 c. of sugar and refroze it. He swears it's good now, but I don't know about that. Anyway, I DID find Janie Brown's recipe and have posted it and I know it is absolutely delicious, so please use it... if you want to use this one, taste it before you freeze it and add enough sugar for your own taste.

JELLO SHERBET

10 1/2 cups of 2% milk (sometimes I use a little more,…and I am sure that other milk is fine,…that is just what I use)
1 large or 2 small packages of sugar free jello (pour dry mix into the milk)
1 large or 2 small packages of sugar free/fat free instant pudding (pour dry mix into the milk)
Make sure that you stir the Jell-O and pudding well so that there are no clumps of it in the milk.

Put the mixture of the three ingredients in the ice cream freezer can and start making the ice cream. Use the ice and rock salt as the directions on the ice cream freezer suggests.

A Few Tips:

What kind you make is up to you! Here is what I have made in the last 2 to 3 weeks:

- Sugar-free lemon jello and sugar-free lemon pudding to make lemon homemade ice cream

- Sugar-free lime jello and sugar-free lemon pudding to make lemon/lime homemade ice cream

- Sugar-free cherry jello and sugar-free vanilla pudding to make cherry homemade ice cream

- Sugar-free orange jello and sugar-free vanilla pudding to make orange homemade ice cream

There are many combinations that you can make.

Did you know that you don’t have to buy the expensive rock salt that you find near the spices in the store? I use my Mortons Salt (Halite) that I bought for my driveway last winter. It is much cheaper, and you can use it instead of the expensive kind. So buy a little extra salt next winter for your summer homemade ice cream.
Also a few days ahead of time when you know that you are going to be making homemade ice cream, start stocking up your ice cubes from your ice cube maker in your freezer so that you don’t have to buy the bags from the convenience store. So, all in all a tasty homemade ice cream that is relatively easy to make – not high in calories – and you have 4 quarts in no time (about 20-30 minutes or so when after putting in the ice cream freezer).

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:47 am

Morgans4--so glad this was here for your reference! It's so hard to lose all your recipes!!! The sherbet sounds delicious--love the variations!!! Now, I need a freezer!!! Nothing like home-made ice cream!!!

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:59 am

Fudgy Brownies - Made with black beans

Yummy and moist, these brownies provide some whole grains, fruit, vegetables and less fat, sugar and sodium than most! Plus, they are still delicious--you'd never know they might be healthy!!!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup cooked black beans (I used canned and rinsed well--saved the left-overs for salad)
2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar (may use Splenda)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips *
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dark chocolate)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
1. Spray an 8x8" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, mash beans with a fork until smooth.
4. Into the beans, stir eggs, sugar, applesauce and chocolate chips. Set aside.
5. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking powder.
6. Stir dry ingredients into wet mixture until just blended.
7. Pour into prepared baking dish.
8. Bake for 25 minute or until firm in the middle and the sides begin to pull away from the edges of the pan.
9. When cool, cut into 12 pieces.

* I didn't have mini chips and used regular chips. I just sprinkled them on the top of the batter before baking.

Nutrition facts per serving: 110 calories, 2.5 gr. fat, 1 gr. saturated fat, 0 trans fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 21 gr carbohydrate, 1 gr dietary fiber, 3 gr protein. Daily values: 0% vitamins A and C, 2% calcium, 2% iron. These values were using sugar; carbohydrates and calories would be less using Splenda.

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:04 pm

My husband just loves Ranch Dressing. I used to buy the packets of dry mix and add fresh milk and mayo but when I found this recipe, I use it all the time. It is fresher and cheaper to make!

Ranch Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk with 1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Keep refrigerated.

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:41 am

I finally found that recipe I was looking for. I know this one is delicious. If you use orange, it''''s just like a dreamsicle. It''''s so good.

JANIE BROWN’S SHERBET

3 EGGS
3 C. SUGAR
1 PKG. (3 OZ. SIZE) JELLO
1 C. BOILING WATER
1 PT. (2 CUPS) WHIPPING CREAM
1 TSP. SALT
2 TBSP. VANILLA
1 CAN EAGLE BRAND SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK (DO NOT USE EVAPORATED MILK)
½ GALLON WHOLE MILK
1 ½ C. FRUIT TO GO WITH FLAVOR OF JELLO, IF DESIRED.

BEAT EGGS 8 MINUTES. ADD 3 C. SUGAR AND BEAT 7 MINUTES MORE. MIX 1 PKG. JELLO IN 1 C. BOILING WATER. DISSOLVE WELL.
COOL, AND ADD TO EGG MIXTURE.
ADD 1 PT. (2 CUPS) WHIPPING CREAM, 1 TSP. SALT, 2 TBSP. VANILLA, EAGLE BRAND MILK AND ½ GALLON MILK. IF DESIRED YOU MAY ADD 1 ½ C. FRUIT TO GO WITH THE FLAVOR OF JELLO…LIME JELLO WITH PINEAPPLE, ORANGE JELLO WITH MANDARIN ORANGES, STRAWBERRY JELLO WITH STRAWBERRIES, ETC.

THIS IS THE BEST STUFF.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:16 pm

PUMPKIN CRUNCH

1 yellow cake mix
1 15 oz can pumpkin
1 lg evaporated milk
1 & 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
2 sticks margarine
1 cup chopped pecans
whipped cream of your choice

Mix pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, spice, salt and eggs. Pour mixture into 9 X 13 pan.

Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture.

Sprinkle pecans over cake mix.

Thinly slice margarine into pats and place on top of the pecans.

Bake in preheated 350* oven for 50 minutes.

Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 am

CORN QUICHE
8 servings

1 unbaked pastry shell (recipe calls for 9" but I used 10" and it was FULL)
1-1/3 c. half'n'half cream
3 eggs
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 cups frozen corn

Line unpricked pastry shell with foil. Bake at 375* for 5 min.
Remove foil; bake 5 min. longer.

In a blender, combine the cream, eggs, butter, onion, flour,
sugar, & salt. cover and process until blended. Stir in corn; pour
into crust. Bake 35 to 40 min. or until knife inserted near center
comes out clean. Let stand for 10 min before cutting into 8 wedges.

OPTIONS:
add green chilies, cheese, spices, herbs, chopped sweet red peppers,
jalapenos, or whatever sounds tasty or you can find in your fridge.

momof6quilts

Post by momof6quilts » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Cute little acorn Candy kiss treats, Emily and I made these tonight so easy and so fun.
Vicky

http://www.recipebinder.co.uk/recipe.as ... ?rid=42336

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:19 am

Here's a recipe that is so easy you will be amazed!
Is as easy as 1 2 3 or no it's called 3 2 1!
That's right - 3 2 1 Cake!
You have to try it! I learned about it in Texas last winter. The girl that showed me made it with a lemon cake, ooooooh was that ever good.
I recently made chocolate and shared with my Secret Pal. She says it was good, too. So try it, you will love it too.!
Velda

CAKE IN A MUG
Or THREE, TWO, ONE CAKE

1 angel food cake mix
1 regular cake food mix ( any flavor)

Dump both mixes in a big plastic bag and mix them up good....

When you're ready to make your cake, take

3 Tablespoons of the cake mixture
2 Tablespoons of water

Put in a mug and mix it up real good
or use empty margarine cups, (they do good in microwave
and I spray them with canola cooking spray, they dump out
on paper plate really good)

Put the mug into the Microwave on high for 1 minute

That's It!

You can then use any kind of icing....but lite Cool Whip work best or the spray whip cream would be even better.
A yellow cake mix or plain white cake mix is perfect for using with strawberries...
The ideas are endless, spice cake or the dark red cake mix sounds great too.

The bag of cake mixture can be stored in the cupboard, you don't have to refrigerate because there's no liquid or eggs in it....

The nicest thing is you are not making a whole cake and then have it sitting around tempting you. You can have a small cake for a dessert or treat and not feel quilty. As a diebetic you just plan the carbs into your daily allowance and not be off track with your diet.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:29 am

SWISS STEAK

Because some of you asked: OK, maybe it was just one of you, but here's what I do with swiss steak. Not sure I'd call it an actual recipe.

I tenderize several pieces of round steak cut to portion sizes. Then I dredge it in flour seasoned with S&P. Sometimes I add any other seasoning that strikes me as tasty. Dry mustard works well. Then I brown the meat in a frying pan. Some people don't brown the meat first and I have skipped this step when in a hurry. But it's different and I didn't like it as well.

I make the sauce from canned tomotoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms, onions, green pepper, garlic, Worchestershire sauce, a few glurgs of red wine or beer (broth or even water works, too), and any more seasonings you like. I vary them. In fact, I vary all of this depending on what I have on hand. Amounts, too, vary according to how much meat you are cooking.

I put it all in the crockpot in no particular order and let it cook on low all day long. We served it with mashed potatoes and roasted winter veggies, but egg noodles would be good, too.

Leftovers: I thinned the sauce, chopped the meat, added some veggies and potatoes and made soup.

TIP #1 - use crock-pot liners for easy clean-up!
TIP #2 - Not having my tenderizing hammer with me in my trailer when I made this, I just did about ten pokes with a fork on each side and it worked as well and was much faster!

Return to “Chit Chat”