Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Favorite Recipes

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
ladiehummer

Re: Favorite Recipes

Post by ladiehummer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:17 pm

Here is one of my Family Favorites

Elephant Stew

1 Elephant
2 Rabbits

Cut elephant into bite-size pieces (takes 2 months to do this). Cook meat over kerosene flame at 465* until almost tender. Add desired vegetables.

This will serve 3,800 people, so make it a big party. If you see your are going to run short, add the 2 rabbits, precooked. Be very careful about this, as many people are offended when they find a hare in their stew.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Oh Ill just have some elephant stew lol

Michelle06H

Post by Michelle06H » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Breaded zucchini? Anyone have a recipe for this? DH loves it and I don't eat it but we got a zucchini today.

Caroline1947

Post by Caroline1947 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:04 am

Joanne,,,I had to laugh about the mushrooms..one of my sons wont touch them,,,,he says he refuses to eat something that looks like it came out of a cows nose!!! LOL!!!!

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:19 am

Michelle we used to fry a lot of things in a beer batter. Took a can of beer, mixed in enough flour and corn meal to make a good thick batter, salt & pepper. It was delicious for frying mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflour, etc.

Hugs & Love

LynnS

Post by LynnS » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:13 pm

This might be my new favorite thread. I tried the pot roast and it was so good! I cooked it yesterday while we were trapped in the house because of Tropical Storm Fay. Melbourne got over 24 inches of rain!! At least the house smelled good!

teacupdelights

Post by teacupdelights » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:27 pm

This is a slow-cooker pot roast recipe I invented one day.
Warning: this is for sauerkraut lovers. My kids, my best friend, my coworkers have enjoyed it--hope you like it too.

Drain liquid from 2 BAGS of sauerkraut (in the meat section)
Slice 1 or 2 large onions thinly and combine with sauerkraut in a bowl.

Rinse and pat dry your favorite cut for pot roast: I use either a rump roast or a chuck roast (bone in or not, your preference).

Place about half the sauerkraut/onion combo in the bottom of the slow cooker - then add meat - then the remainder of the combo. Cover and cook till meat is fork tender and almost falling apart.

Do NOT add salt. You can rinse the sauerkraut if you wish - I do not.
Sprinkle with some black pepper to taste if you like.

I always start it on high, and when it is hot turn to automatic setting. I know slowcookers vary a lot, so use your judgment.

I serve with hot, boiled potatoes, which I cook separately. Carrots go well, too.

"Just set it, and forget it" :)

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:34 am

This is a recipie my grandma used to make. There is sorta a long story behind it. It is a wine cake and when we were growing up, it was the only way we could get the adults to give us wine. Around 1984, my grandma was dx with Azheimer's and by June of 1985 both she and my grandfather went to live at the nursing home. My DH and I helped to pack all their things and it stayed at my parents home until Dad sold the house in 2005. Nobody had thought until then to get grandma to give us this recipie and by the time we did, she was too far advanced to even know what we were talking about. My mother said she didn't know where the recipie was. By the mid to late 1990's, my mother also showed signs of Alzheimer's. I continued to ask my Dad about it and he simply said it was probably in her head and nothing we could do about it. So, the years went by and no Wine Cake. In 2005, Dad decided to sell the family home and move to the town where my mother was in the nursing home. So I helped in pack and I told him, I was checking everything for that recipie. He told me I needed to give up, it had been over 20 years and recipie was gone with my grandma. Well, Labor day of 2005, my sister came to help with final packing and moving. She was on the ladder in the kitchen trying to get stuff out of the back of the cupboard (it was a deep cupboard) and low and behold she finds a recipe box! Now mind you, I had said nothing to her about this recipie as I didn't need two people telling me I was nuts. She hands me the box, and says, "do you suppose Mom-mom's (what we called my grandma) wine cake recipe is in there?" I looked a little funny and said, "well come down from there and let's look" And sure enough, about the 5th card back there it was. We were jumping and hollering and making all kinds of racket. Dad comes out and wants to know what is wrong with us. We showed him the recipe and he declares, "well, i'll be; you'd better make some for your mother". We actually found a second recipie box and looked for the chicken recipie but it wasn't there. So here it is:

Mix together:

* 1 pkg Yellow cake mix (I use the kind with the pudding)
* 1 small pkg Vanilla instant pudding mix
3/4 C Sherry Wine
3/4 C Salad Oil
1 tsp Nutmeg
4 eggs

beat 3 or 4 min on medium speed. Grease tube pan (grandma's word for bundt) and bake at 350 for 45 - 50 or until done. When unmolded, sift powdered sugar over. Let it sit for 10 min. You can also glaze with confection sugar thinned with Sherry wine.

The rest of the story is, the next morning, before the rest of the crew got up, I looked again through both boxes for that chicken recipe. Neer did find it, but I did find a card from Beringer Brother's winery with that same Wine Cake recipe. My grandfather, had changed a few things (the type of wine and # of eggs) to make the cake to his liking. So as it turned out, the cake grandma had been so famous for, was a stolen recipe!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

luv_2quilt60

Post by luv_2quilt60 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:08 pm

Wesighn..I Love your wine cake story...and I may try that cake....Thanks.....

grandmaof12

Post by grandmaof12 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:09 pm

Where do I find sherry wine? It sounds so good . as a matter of fact all of the rest of the receipes sound good too!!! Have to get my receipes out. Jan

Return to “Chit Chat”