Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Favorite Recipes

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
IowaGal

Re: Favorite Recipes

Post by IowaGal » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:22 am

Microsoft's New TV Dinner Product
You must first remove the plastic cover. By doing so you agree to accept and honor Microsoft rights to all TV dinners. You may not give anyone else a bite of your dinner (which would constitute an infringement of Microsoft's rights). You may, however, let others smell and look at your dinner and are encouraged to tell them how good it is.
If you have a PC microwave oven, insert the dinner into the oven. Set the oven using these keystrokes:
mstv.dinn.//08.5min@50%heat
Then enter:
ms//start.cook_dindin/yummy|/yum~yum:-)gohot#cookme.
If you have a Macintosh microwave oven, insert the dinner and press start. The oven will set itself and cook the dinner.
If you have a Unix microwave oven, insert the dinner, enter the ingredients of the dinner found on the package label, the weight of the dinner, and the desired level of cooking and press start. The oven will calculate the time and heat and cook the dinner exactly to your specification.
Be forewarned that Microsoft dinners may crash, in which case your oven must be restarted. This is a simple procedure. Remove the dinner from the oven and enter:
ms.nodamn.good/tryagainagain/again.crap
This process may have to be repeated. Try unplugging the microwave and then doing a cold reboot. If this doesn't work, contact your oven vendor. The oven itself is obviously on the blink.
Many users have reported that the dinner tray is far too big, larger than the dinner itself, having many useless compartments, most of which are empty. These are for future menu items. If the tray is too large to fit in your oven, you will need to upgrade your equipment.
Dinners are only available from registered outlets, and only the chicken variety is currently produced. If you want another variety, call Microsoft Help and they will explain that you really don't want another variety. Microsoft Chicken is all you really need. Microsoft has disclosed plans to discontinue all smaller versions of their chicken dinners. Future releases will only be in the larger family size. Excess chicken may be stored for future use, but must be saved only in Microsoft approved packaging.
Microsoft promises a dessert with every dinner after '98. However, that version has yet to be released. Users have permission to get thrilled in advance.
Microsoft dinners may be incompatible with other dinners in the freezer, causing your freezer to self-defrost. This is a feature, not a bug. Your freezer probably should have been defrosted anyway

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:23 am

Use a gal size zipper bag to use for first round.
It is a total of 10 days before baking so here it goes.

Day 1:
Mix 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup of milk. Squeeze the bag until thoroughly mixed. Mix with hands a couple of times a day. Keep flat on counter. Do not put in refrigator.

Day 2:
Squeeze the bag and mix well.

Day 3:
Squeeze /mixed in bag leave on counter.

Day 4:
Squeeze/ mix the bag by hands .

Day 5:
Squeeze / min the bag keep flat on counter after each mix.

Day 6:
Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup of milk to bag with batter. Squeeze the bag till thourghtly mixed. Lay flat on counter.

Day 7:
Squeeze the bag serveral times to mix well. Lay on counter

Day 8:
Squeeze the bag. Leave on counter

Day 9:
Squeeze the bag. Leave on counter,

Day 10:
In large NON-Metal bowl. Put 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and 1 1/3 cups of milk. Mix all of the batter from bag into this and mix really well.

Stir together till mixed and then measure 4 1 cup starters (batter) into 4 different zipper bags. Put the date on bag as that is considered as Day 1.
You will have 2 cups of batter left in bowl:

Add 1 cup vegetable Oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 large box of vanilla instant pudding (or 1 1/2 box of small pudding)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Also mix in small bowl, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 3 tbsp. sugar. Sprinkle some on bottom of greased loaf pans. Pour batter into 2 pans, sprinkle rest of sugar/cinnamon on top .
Pre Heat oven 325 degrees and bake 1 hour or until golden brown, Check center with toothpick if needed. I bake mine for 1 hour and 10 minutes. So just check at hour time.

Also if you like very much , use 2 cups of batter to make two more loaves at the same time. If you do four loaves then you can give one to friend plus a bag of starter with directions. Spread it around.
Oh, it taste so good with butter, and cinnamon and Cold milk or coffee. REALLY REALLY GOOD

Ok that is all . At least try it once or twice if you don't like it throw or give batter away.

P

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:26 am

Gmanns peach cobbler
I'll try GP's - it sounds delicious! But for the lazy cooks, like me, here's an easy one. I made it twice this weekend while my kids were visiting from FL, and got no complaints!

Melt stick of butter in baking dish.

Combine 1 c. sugar, 1 c. flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, pinch of salt and 3/4 c. milk. Mix and pour over melted margarine. (second night I added 1 tsp. cinnamon)

Add fruit (I used 4 c. cut up peaches this time - you can use any fruit)

Bake 40 minutes at 375°

Remember: This is not to take anything away from GP's recipe, but it's easy and good!

Michelle06H

Post by Michelle06H » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:46 am

Here is my beef stew recipe for the slow cooker, DH loves it.

2 lbs cubed stew meat, cut into about 1" cubed
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. season salt, I use Lawry's
1/2 tsp. fine ground white pepper, you can use black pepper too
1-2 tsp. olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. paprika
1 tblsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup red wine
1 med. onion chopped
1 1/2 cups beef broth, I use Swanson
3-4 potatoes quartered
1/2 small bag of baby carrots
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, I use the flavored kind, it depends on what mood I am in, which one I use, but for the most part they are all good. If you use the garlic tomatoes reduce the amount of garlic cloves you put in the stew or it becomes over powering.

Put flour mixture into gallon-sized, zippered bag. Shake beef in bag to coat. Sauté coated beef in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil until browned. Add chopped onion to beef to sauté and soften. Transfer to slow cooker. Add carrots, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, and paprika to slow cooker. Mix beef broth with 1 tblsp Worcestershire and ½ cup red wine. Pour into hot skillet to deglaze, then pour over everything in slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low of 10-12 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. I prefer the 10-12 hours myself, I'll get up and do all this around 4:30am. It's worth it!
I serve the stew in bowls, accompanied by slices of fresh bread or Texas toast.

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:20 am

I've got a cobbler recipe that I really like.
1 quart fruit
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 to 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup self rising folur (or 1 cup allpurpose flour with 2 teaspoons baking powder and a dash of salt instead of self rising flour)
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoonground cinnamon (optional)

Wash fruit; drain well. In a large ssaucepan, combine fruit, water, and1/2 to 1 cupsugar (to taste). Cook until mixture is hot and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.

Melt butter in a 2-quart baking pan. Combine remainder of sugar and flour in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in milk. Add cinnamon, if desired. Pour batter over melted butter in pan, but DO NOT STIR.

Spoon fruit over batter, but do not stir.(Batter will rise to top to form a crust.)

Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes.

Mary

oooooooooopppppppppppppsssssssssssss

mcmema

Post by mcmema » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:56 am

IowaGal You are just
Too Cute!!! LOL

Your humor keeps us all on our toes!! RAFLOL!!

mcmema

Post by mcmema » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:59 am

Michelle your stew sounds lishous!!!I think im gonna try ir next week for my crew!!!!The Kids love stews!! thank you,, Jenn

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:08 am

This is a wonderful idea!! I must think what I want to post. it won't be too long as I am a 2 finger typer. I am going to try IowaGal's bread. I love to make bread. Work likes when I make bread.LOL

Happy Cooking/Baking/Quilting.......Kathy

I have started my starter and the squeezing was fun.

grandmaof12

Post by grandmaof12 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:20 am

This is right up my alley will go check my receipe box and send some to ya!!! Jan the ones already here the cobbler, beef stew and etc sound delicious . Not to sure about the possoum!!!!! Ha Jan

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:00 pm

Rosebud3 - How many cups/oz. whatever is a quart (I should know this! LOL). Is it fresh fruit, canned, frozen????

Thanks!
Joanne

Return to “Chit Chat”