Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Favorite Recipes

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
Marilynsgrammy

Re: Favorite Recipes

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Broccoli Salad

1/2 pkg bacon crisp and crumbled
approx. 2 bunches broccoli chopped
1 cup craisins
1/2 cup salted sun flower seeds
1/4 cup chopped onion ( white or red)
1/2 cup toasted almonds, sliced or julianned ( not whole)

Mix all ingredients together and store in refrigerator in a plastic bag till ready to use.. before serving toss with dressing.

Dressing
1 tbsp white vinegar
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup mayonnaise

mix well adn add vinegar or sugar to taste.. the dressing should be sweet but have the sharp taste of vinegar. make the dressing the day before and pour it over the salad while cold... mix well.
Psalm 91

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 am

WASSAIL

2 parts apple juice
1 part cranberry Juice
2 tbsp whole cloves
2 tbsp allspice (whole)
4 cinnamon sticks

Bring juices to a boil, tie up spices in
cheese cloth on a string and dangle in the
juices until spices are strong to taste.
Add a fifth of rum...or add a pint of rum to half
the Wassail and leave the other half "unspiked"
Serve hot or cold.

I usually make a large batch and use 1 gal apple juice to 1/2 gal cranberry juice. If I spike it, I usually only use half the liquor called for. And I've used vodka when rum was in short supply.

There are lots of recipes for wassail, and most are good. I got this one from a male belly dancer in 1980,

jgirlt2

Post by jgirlt2 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:11 am

Non-Dairy Cheeze Sauce

3/4 c raw cashews, ground to powder in blender
1/3 c nutritional yeast (some brands are bitter, my favorite
is vegetrates brand)
1/3 c lemon juice, bottled is fine if you don't have fresh
1 jar pimientos
1 T onion powder
1 t garlic powder
1 t salt
1/4 c tahini, if you don't have tahini substitute peanut butter
or almond butter
2 c water

Liquefy in blender. Use hot or cold. I dress salads with it, use it as a soup base with broccoli or cauliflower or potato and spinach, serve it over refried beans, etc.
Pour any extra into a jar and store in refrigerator up to a week.

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:46 pm

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE
This is about the easiest fudge recipe you will ever find, but it is one that I've made for 30 years and everyone I've given it to liked it. My family EXPECTS it at holiday time, and I don't think I could get away with not making it!!

Grease well a 13X9inch pan, or line it with parchment paper ( my preferred method ).
Ingredients:
2 cans sweetened, condensed milk
1/2 package of semi- sweet chocolate pieces
1/2 package of milk chocolate pieces
1teaspoon vanilla
Optional: pinch of salt, chopped nuts
1/2 package butterscotch pieces
1/2 package of peanut butter pieces
1 cup peanut butter

In a microwaveable bowl, mix one can of the sweetened condensed milk, butterscotch pieces and peanut butter pieces. Microwave one minute at a time, stirring between each, until the mixture is smooth and chips are all melted. Add the peanut butter and stir until it is blended. Immediately spread evenly in prepared pan. Place in refrigerator for a few minutes while making second layer.
To make the chocolate layer, combine one can of sweetened condensed milk and two kinds of chocolate pieces. Microwave as you did for the first layer. After it is all melted and smooth, add the vanilla, and optional items if wanted. Blend together.
Take pan out of the refrigerator and add chocolate layer by placing small amounts all over the first layer and then smoothing it out until even. Don't just drop all of the chocolate onto the center or it will be harder to get it even.
You can refrigerate it again until firm, or just leave it out on the counter, but that will take longer.
Here is why I now use parchment paper. I lift the whole piece out of the pan and use a large knife to cut the fudge into squares.
Enjoy!
Note: you can make a 1/2 batch using one can of SCMilk and fewer pieces in each half.

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:27 am

I just made the easiest and tastiest cake. Take one Angelfood cake mix, 1 20oz can crushed pineapple. Combine the cake mix and pineapple and stir. It will get frothy and foamy but that is OK. Pour into a 13x9 oblong pan. DO NOT GREASE the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Enjoy!

Suzette
Suzette

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:50 am

CHILI RELLENO CASSEROLE

2-1/2 cans of whole chilies
1# shredded cheese (I used about 1-1/2 cups)
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c. salsa
another 1 c. shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350*.
Spray a 9x13" baking dish.
Arrange whole chilies in baking dish. Top with cheese.
Beat eggs well. Add flour, milk, baking pwdr, & salt. Pour evenly over top of chilies & cheese.
Spread Salsa over this.
Top with remaining cheese.
Bake 45 minutes.

Serve with extra salsa, sour cream, chopped green onions.

Great go-withs: Mexican rice, refried beans, salad, or sliced avocados and tomatoes.

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Suzette, I can't wait to try your cake recipe! It sounds interesting and my DH loves Angel Food cake. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for sharing!

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Suzette,
I made your Pineapple Angel Food cake today and it was wonderful! My husband just loved it and so did I. It is rare to find such a quick and easy recipe that results in such a great cake! I can't thank you enough for sharing it with us.
Linda

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:16 pm

I was so inspired by Suzette's Angel Food Cake that I looked for other ideas and found this one. I haven't tried it but it was on the Betty Crocker website:

1 package Angel Food Cake Mix

1 can of Lemon Pie Filling

powdered sugar

1 Two-Ingredient Lemon Bars ~ "All you need it an angel food cake mix and a can of lemon pie filling. Mix them together and bake in a 9x13 cake pan at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. As they are cooling, you can sprinkle with powder sugar if you wish (which I guess technically makes this a 3-ingredient recipe).

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 am

Suzette, I made your Pineapple Angel Food cake again but added some Angel Flake Coconut and substituted 4 oz of crushed mandarin oranges for 4 oz of the pineapple. It was really good!

A friend told me she had tried the recipe with a can of lemon pie filling and it was good too!

Return to “Chit Chat”