Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Favorite Recipes

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
Marilynsgrammy

Re: Favorite Recipes

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Grandma May's Zucchini Torte

sorry, there are no real measurements for this but here goes.

cut up some zucchini in to about one inch chunks and boil till soft... save the water.

in a pan sautee in butter or olive oil a diced white or yellow onion, celery, a small can of diced green chilis...

put the zucchini in a bowl and mash it with a potato masher, add the sauteed mixture.... then add some bread crumbs and greated cheese ( cheddar) mix it all up.... it should be the consistancy of pancake batter... if it is too thick add a little of the zucchini water... if it is too thin add more bread crumbs....

put it in a greased baking dish pour some parmesean cheese on top and some more cheddar cheese.....

Bake about 45 minutes or so in a 350 onion.... when it cools you can cut it into squares and have it like an appetiser or you can serve it warm with whatever you are fixing for dinner....

I used to request this for my b-day dinner from my grandmother... along with fried chicken and peach cobbler.... wish she was still here to spoil me with her cooking....

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:43 pm

Chriss this sounds so yummy! Thank You for sharing it. I want to try it real soon. If you were close, I would spoil you and fix your B-day dinner for you. That is my kind of food!

Hugs & Love

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:05 pm

All these recipes are making my mouth water. Boy do they all sound good.

Michelle06H

Post by Michelle06H » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 pm

I am making this tonight for Megan's speech therapist. Tomorrow is her last day so I am going to give her a little fare well gift.

Chocolate Buttercream cake
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole milk
½ cup Hersheys special dark baking cocoa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9x13” pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; add vanilla, and mix until combined. On low speed, beat in half the flour mixture, followed by milk; end with remaining flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated (do not overmix).

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

With an electric mixer, beat 8 tablespoons (1 stick) room-temperature unsalted butter until light and fluffy. On medium speed, beat in 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down bowl as necessary. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Increase speed to high, and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

These are my favorite recipes:

Mediterranean Pork Chops
The garlic and rosemary make these Mediterranean chops mouthwatering!
PREP: 10 minutes ROAST: 35 minutes OVEN: 425°F/350°F MAKES: 4 servings
4 boneless or bone-in pork loin chops, cut 1/2 inch thick (1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 teaspoons minced)
1. Sprinkle chops with kosher salt and pepper; set aside. In a small bowl combine rosemary and garlic. Sprinkle rosemary mixture evenly over both sides of each chop; rub in with your fingers.
2. Place chops on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast chops in a 425° oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and continue roasting about 25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted through the side of a chop registers 160°F (make sure tip of thermometer does not touch bone).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 147 cal., 4 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 71 mg chol., 288 mg sodium, 1 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 24 g pro.

BIG TIME BANANA BREAD

1 stick plus 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
6 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 6-7) I like to puree them with my stick/hand blender so no little chunks of banana in the bread- personal preference)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup sour cream or heavy cream
2/3 cup chopped walnuts ( optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottoms ONLY of 2 loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray. Beat butter in Large mixing bowl with mixer set at medium speed until light & fluffy. Add both sugars and beat well. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well blended. Add mashed bananas and beat on high for about 30 seconds.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, & baking powder; mix until combined well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with cream. Fold in walnuts. Pour batter evenly between the 2 loaf pans. Bake until browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Remove from pan & cool completely. Slice & Serve. Serve alone, or with butter or with cream cheese

Macaroni & Cheese

16 oz. elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 ½ cups milk
6 cups grated x-sharp cheddar
Top with bread crumbs if desired

Spray casserole dish with Pam, put in cooked macaroni. In saucepan, melt butter then add all dry ingredients, cook stirring constantly for 3 minutes (like you would prepare a white sauce), add mustard, gradually stir in milk and continue stirring until mixture thickens, add cheese gradually while stirring constantly. When done, add cheese mixture to macaroni and bake 375 approx. 20 minutes.

Tuna Noodle Casserole

16 oz. egg noodles
2 cans cream of mushroom soup or 1 family size can
2 cans tuna
8 oz. frozen peas
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup chopped onions (if desired)

Cook noodles, cook peas
Mix all ingredients, top with butter squares and sprinkle 1/3 cup bread crumbs on top
Bake 350 approx. 30 minutes

I forget where I got this from but it is soooo good!

Grilled Steak with Mop Sauce
Coffee might be a surprising barbecue ingredient, but in Texas it often shows up in "mop sauce," which is used to baste, or mop, meat while it's cooking, resulting in a moist and tender dish. The name probably comes from the fact that pit masters in the South actually use cotton mops to baste large quantities of slow-cooking meat. You can rub the steak with a spice mixture of your choice before cooking.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Start to finish: 15 minutes
Ingredients
1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/4 cup strongly brewed decaffeinated coffee
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sugar-free pancake syrup
1 (1 1/2 pounds) sirloin steak, about 1 1/2 inches thick
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions In a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce, coffee, Worcestershire sauce, and syrup. Bring to a simmer and remove from the heat. Transfer 2/3 cup of the sauce to a small bowl and reserve for dipping.
Lightly coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Rub steak on both sides with pepper. Grill steak, basting frequently with remaining 1/3 cup mop sauce, 5 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare. Allow steak to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
Cut steak into thin slices, divide evenly among 4 plates, and serve with reserved mop sauce for dipping.

That is all I have on my computer for now, when I get a few minutes I will post some of my bread recipes as well.

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:00 pm

Oh Michelle!!

I made your pot roast tonight for dinner....YMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
I didn't use the mushrooms (my DH says "they're deadly"!)and used the celery soup. It was so awesome!! Thank you soooooo much!!!!!

Joanne

MsSewNSew

Post by MsSewNSew » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:59 pm

These recipes sound so good! When I get to work tomorrow, I will print them out to keep and try!

I'll dig up some of my favorites.

Debbie

Georgiapeach

Post by Georgiapeach » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:25 am

These recipes sound so good, thanks so much for sharing them! I can't wait to try them out after we get unpacked and I can get back to our regular routine. I have some good recipes to share, too, so when I can get to my recipe cards again I'll do that.

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:41 am

This is what my DD wants when she comes in from school. So nice on a cold rainy day! It's easy and fast to make. Sometimes I add a ripe banana to the mix. Try it, you'll love it. I usually bake it in a small deep cast iron skillet. I never have any left to toast for breakfast but many have said it makes fantastic toast. It makes great muffins too.

Cinnamon-Swirl Bread

1 1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg (beaten)
1 c. milk
1/3 c. vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Mix 1/3 c. sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add to flour mixture. Stir by hand just until moistened. Pour half the batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with half the cinnamon mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and cinnamon mixture. Draw a knife through batter to marble.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool. Wrap and store bread overnight (I never have any left to wrap and store).

Tip: If you haven't tried Saigon cinnamon, please do. One whiff and you'll know why.

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:51 am

Sewbug - when you use the cast iron skillet, do you flour it also?? Or just grease it?? I love using cast iron whenever I can...makes things MUCH better!!

Joanne

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:55 pm

My cast iron skillet is so seasoned nothing sticks to it. I use Wilton Cake Release on all my baking pans, even the cast iron.

Return to “Chit Chat”