Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Favorite Recipes

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
Marilynsgrammy

Re: Favorite Recipes

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 am

Jerrys tamale pie

crust.
combine and cook 15 minutes
5 cups water
2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
2 1/2 cups corn meal

line side and bottom of 2 qt casserole with 2/3 of the mixture

Filling.

2 tbsp. shortening
1 lb ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup sliced olives
1 cup cream corn
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 cup cheese

cook and drain the beef shortening, add other ingredients except for the cheese. simmer about 20 minutes.

pour meat mixture into cornmeal crust, top with the remainder of the crust mixture and the cheese.

bake 45 minutes at 350*
Exodus 33:14

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:43 am

LAYERED ORIENTAL DIP
from Light & Tasty 2002 Annual Recipe Book

INGREDIENTS

1 c. cooked, chopped chicken breast
1/2 c. shredded carrot
1/4 c. chopped, unsalted peanuts
3 Tbsp. chopped green onions
3 Tbsp. soy sauce, DIVIDED
1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted

2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 c. water
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1-1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp ciDer vinegar
2 drops hot pepper sauce

8 oz pkg of cream cheese

Sesame rice crackers or tortilla chips.

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl combine the chicken, carrot, peanuts, onions, TWO Tbsp of soy sauce, parsley, garlic, and sesame seeds. Cover and refrigerate several hours.

In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch; stir in water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and pepper sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool for 5 minutes. cover and refrigerate.

Just before serving, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining ONE Tbsp of soy sauce until smooth. Spread evenly into a 12-inch serving dish. Cover with chicken mixture; drizzle with sauce. Serve with crackers or chips. Yield: 20 servings

KayBeez

Post by KayBeez » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:53 am

Here's my go-to recipe whenI need to bring an appetizer to a party or set something out at family get togethers... it's so simple and quick!

Cowboy Caviar

2 cans of Bush's Black-eyed peas (you can use any canned, unseasoned bean you like)

1 small green bell pepper finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper finely chopped
1 small yellow or orange bell pepper finely chopped
1 small bunch of green onion/scallion finely chopped
1 15 ounce bottle Kraft Italian Dressing
Large bag FritoScoops or Tortilla chips

* 2 - 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped - optional
Drain both cans of peas/beans and place in mixing bowl. Add chopped peppers and onions and saturate with Dressing ( I usually use 3/4 of the bottle, depending on taste)

Mix well and pour iny
To serving bowl and serve with corn chips or tortilla chips.

I use this a lot and it always goes fast!

graymare6

Post by graymare6 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:57 pm

I have just become a member and am having fun reading the recipes!! So many new ideas to try.

Now that apple season is on us, here is a recipe from "Best Damn Desserts From Bear Wallow to Goosehorn", by LaVece Hughes.

The Best Apple Stuff, Ever!

4-6 apples, peeled and sliced thin
1 1/2 c, water
1/2 c. sugar (sprinkled on top)
cinnamon (sprinkled onto sugar)
1 dry white or yellow cake mix
1 1/2 sticks melted margarine
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with Pam and layer ingredients in the order listed. (I like to make sure thereis a good layer of apples in the bottom,) Baked at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold. This is "tried 'n true" and well enjoyed.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:10 am

Maryq's Aunt Ida's Toffee Recipe

1/2 pound butter
1/4 water (cup?)
2 cups sugar

bring to a boil and stir CONSTANTLY, and I mean constantly. don't even blink!

until it becomes a medium brown color ( Jerry's note =285*-300*)

Add 1/2-1 cup whole almonds, tho I think you can probably use other nuts too, or none at all. ( Jerry's notes chopped)

pour into 9x9 greased pan
cool slightly and top with on2 12 oz package of choc. chips melted. sprinkle the top with some crushed nuts.

cool completely and break into pieces.

typed word for word from the e-mail Maryq sent to me. really makes some great toffee.
Exodus 33:14

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:06 am

Hi All

I've had a request to post the Recipe for Butter Pecan Bars, so here you go:

CRUST: 2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Softener Butter

Mix well and pat into 9x14 pan
Top With 1 cup of Whole Pecan Halves

CARAMEL TOPPING:
2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

Boil this until it's really smooth, not "sugary"

Pour caramel evenly over crust and bake at 350* for 18-20 minutes

While still hot, sprinkle with 1 cup of MILK Chocolate Chips, let sit a few minutes then swirl melted chips.

Cool completely.

*Note: I put them in the fridge over night once the pan was cool.....don't do that... .Made them REALLY hard to cut. They cut into squares much easier at room temp. Also, I thought if 1 cup of Pecans was good, the whole bag would be better... NOPE! Too many pecans make it even harder to cut. BUT a whole bag of Chocolate chips works just fine. :-)

Enjoy

Carrie-Waltz

Post by Carrie-Waltz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:21 pm

IowaGal wrote:
Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:58 am
Ok. This is one of my best

Best Pot Pie

Ingredients:
1 cup glazed huckleberries
3 shots gin or moonshine
1 possum
---if roadkill: make jambalaya
---if caught: proceed with recipe
1 pie crust
sliced carrots & cabbage to taste

Directions:
Cover a pan (or any implement you can put in a fire) with the bottom of your pie crust, and place the possum in it. Add the huckleberries and carrots, and shred the cabbage over it. Close up the pie and bake until the neighbors' dogs come sniffing around to see what the wonderful smell is, or until the fire department arrives (whichever comes first). Remove pie from fire/oven, slice, and enjoy.
Like it! I'll try it this weekend)
Life is brighter, if you have a hobby!

Rose9245

Post by Rose9245 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:44 am

Perfect lazy breakfast:

2 eggs
1 ripe banana
mix and fry like pancakes. Done!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 am

GENE'S MEATLOAF
from his Cowboy Cooking Cookbook

(It turned out pretty good despite coming from my brother, Gene! I halved the recipe and it was enough for two of us for 3 nights. It is spicey so I cut the hot sauce and cayenne by about a third.)

2# ground beef
3 large eggs

# Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
2 Tbsp mince garlic

1/2 c. ketchup
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp prepared horseradish
4 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
S&P

1/3 c. milk
1 to 1-1/2 c. bread crumbs

Honey Hot Sauce (recipe below)

1. Mix meat and eggs in large bowl. Set aside.

2. Melt butter and cook onion, peppers, garlic until tender

3. Reduce heat to low and stir in Ketchup, Worcestershire, horseradish, hot sauce, and cayenne. Season with S&P and simmer few minutes to let flavors combine.

4. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Stir in milk and slowly begin stirring in bread crumbs until mixture is like thick paste.

5. Mix veggie/bread crumb mixture into meat and combine well. Add more bread crumbs if too wet.

6. Divide in half to make 2 loaves for quicker cook time (or to freeze one).

7. Top with Honey Hot sauce and bake 400* for about an hour or 160* internal temp.

HONEY HOT SAUCE
1/2 c. ketchup2 Tbsp Honey
1-1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp horseradish

In a small bowl combine all ingredients until smooth.

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:51 am

Hi friends, Some have asked me to share my newest recipe. Here it is with my own added comments throughout.

Velda

Hawaiian Chicken – Crockpot

This is a recipe I found on Facebook. I read reviews that were negative, yet I had all ingredients ready, so I decided to change it a bit and here is what I came up with:

Ingredients:
2 LB chicken tenders chunked
1 cup of pineapple juice
½ cup of Brown sugar (packed)
1/3 cup of soy sauce ( I use low sodium version)

(Original instructions: to combine and cook 6-8 hours in crock pot.)
I didn’t want to combine raw chicken and cook as long as it mentioned. Also comments mentioned that the sauce was not thickened.

Here is my own Method:
Brown chicken tenders, drain excess juices as it cooks in order to get a nice golden brown on each tender. (Reserve the juices to use later)
Set pieces as they are browned onto a plate or platter. When cooled a bit, using kitchen shears, I snipped the tenders into bite size chunks and placed them into my small crock pot.
Return the juices drained to skillet and heat and stir to engage all the good brown stuff from the bottom of the skillet. Save this to add to the sauce
Then drained my pineapple slices and the juice was almost a full cup, so I added a bit of water.
In a small sauce pan, combine brown sugar, pineapple juice, soy sauce, reserved juices, and two – three heaping teaspoons of corn starch and blend and heat to bring to boil and thicken the sauce.
Pour sauce over the chicken in crock pot and let cook on low for about 2 hours or until the sauce and flavors blend into the chicken. ( I added several slices of the pineapple that I cut into chunks and stirred into the mix toward the end of cooking time)
Serve over rice. I wasn’t a fan of plain rice, so I bought a package of Uncle Ben’s Microwave Rice Pilaf and should have purchased two packages, because one package was enough for only two people. We had enough left over for a second meal. I put the left overs in the freezer and will purchase another package of rice and next week, we will have a quick meal already cooked except to do the rice and heat up the chicken.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Return to “Chit Chat”