Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Have you read a good book lately?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
Irishgram

Re: Have you read a good book lately?

Post by Irishgram » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:16 am

I just finished another by Sandra Brown, Lethal and it is excellent....The kind that keeps you guessing right up until the end....I read until 2:30 this morning, just couldn't put it down until I was finished........

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:17 pm

I just finished a new one by James Patterson, called, "Gone"...And all I can say is WOW....It is a thriller but not for those who don't like the "bloody" books....I think this had more blood and gore than any of his other books but it was good..........Now I'm reading, Play Dirty by Sandra Brown......

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm

I recently signed up for Bookbub, a free service that sends me daily 'deals' for my Kindle. (I'm guessing it would work for any ereader, but I'm not sure.) Many books are free, and none over $2.99. Some aren't so great, but if they're free I don't mind. And some have been very good. Many are the self-published ones that are often full of spelling and grammar mistakes, and I always read the reviews first so I can avoid those. You can sign up for free and cancel anytime. They let you choose the type of books you like (Mysteries, best-sellers, biographies, etc.). Www.bookbub.com

Just thought my reading forum friends might be interested. I'd tell you the ones I like, but the 'deals' have expiration dates, so by the time I finish a book, it may be too late to get the 'deal'.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:20 pm

I am just finishing a non-fiction book called The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It is a fascinating story of her life, her family and her still living cell in the most used cell line by researchers. Her cell line was instrumental in the development of the polio vaccine and it was her cells that linked the HPV to cervical cancer. She died in 1951 and her cells are still being used. This isn't science fiction, but fact. If you like Science read this book! The author is Rebecca Skloot.

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Just finished reading Nickolas Sparks new book, "The Longest Ride" and it was fantastic but then all his books are great....This one left me with such a good feeling...I highly recommend, very good read.....Now I'm starting, Stuart Woods, "Doing Hard Time"......
I go through the list of books in the Sunday paper and then put them on reserve at the Library......

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Quilter7, I read the book about Henrietta Lacks last year. Wow! It was fascinating. I pretty much devoured it in a day or two, then read it a second time.

Recently finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I have recommended it to just about everyone I know who reads.

I am now reading Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. Again, a fascinating book. I am really enjoying reading about events that occurred around the time I was born--learned a lot about what the Bay of Pigs debacle was all about! (I also read their book Killing Lincoln, another very good read.)

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:12 am

One of my Book Bub books, The Boy on the Wooden Box, is the story of a young boy who survived the Holocaust because of Oskar Schindler. I enjoyed the book, and was prompted to get Schindler's List from the library. I had seen the movie but had not read the book. I recommend both of these books.

Quilter7 and CaroleJ, I had also read about Henrietta Lacks a while ago. What an interesting true story!

Thanks to everyone who posts about good books. I check this often!

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:45 am

430am here! Dark out still, mild for Winter peg, chose to clean house computer training, and to head off to local library for computer books and some good book summaries from your reviews. I also want to learn about downloadable books on computer from home.

One has to ready herself for those 55+ housing situations where you will have to deal at times with lousy neighbors and how to work around it in our aging process.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:40 am

I''''ve returned from library just to pick up one book, would you know it a book sale, and they had a Windows 2007 @$2.10 for sale a must have for reference. Then a new Emilie Richards novel, another must see. Long walk inside to/fro transit from library, thank goodness a coffee sandwich place. Getting menopause just walking with this long coat and heavy books. Not to mention a pi-break necessary. Did make it back in time for lunch and a short nap. And all that housework well, it has been put back till tomorrow.

lhirsche

Post by lhirsche » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Finished reading "The Help" My daughter said the movie was good. But I prefer books. I can make up my own pictures-imagination is always better than a movie. The book was very informative. Not coming from the South, it was thought provoking. I loved the maids view on their employers. All definitely was not rosy. Good read.

Return to “Chit Chat”